It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday vault begins deep freeze

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Doomsday vault begins deep freeze

news.bbc.co.uk

Engineers have begun the two-month process of cooling down a "doomsday vault", which will house seeds from all known varieties of key food crops.

The temperature inside the Svalbard Global Seed Vault will drop to -18C (0F) in order to preserve the seeds.

Built deep inside a mountain, it aims to safeguard the world's crops from future disasters, such as nuclear wars, asteroids or dangerous climate change.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
This is something I've been following and that I find much more worrying than all the war and GW scenarios.

Built in Norway - one of the colder countries, and a country far away from the current mid east trouble, it is isolated and is on a remote island near the north pole.

The question is why now?

I get the feeling that governments know a LOT more than they are letting on.

This is a tool to prevent extinction - but relatively few people will know about it, and even less people will be able to get in, so I'm not entirely sure just how effective it will be - unless it's purpose is to ensure that the "higher ups" have the capability to survive a global catastrophe.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
They are doing this as a kind of insurance policy against any "possible" dangers.
There a lot of talk about 2012 as well !

hang on ... 2012 !!!!
Seed Vaults!!!!

Do they know more than they are letting on ??????

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Could always pop-up there break in & hide and then wait

More interested in a bit more life though at the minute. I heard some news about this thing a long time ago. Smart but it will only be to ensure survival of the fattest

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So strange to think in terms of primitive survival sometimes after being thrown down this rabbit hole of immediate and expected convenience, allowing for a thoughtless existence.

Survival of the fittest and most prepared.

I can feel in through and through that what we see now will only be a memory and the devastation the current race of humanity will see will be the most unreal reality.

There is not a day that passes where I don't value what I see in front of me and who I have around. That cup of coffee that I won't be able to have someday. Not only is it sad that society takes advantage of what they are given, but they will be slapped twice because we are at the pinnacle of a utopia. "Free, convenient, thoughtless gluttons."

Storage of seeds and other necessary means to re-create survival....doesn't that freak anyone else out?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I believe I've heard of this before, I think it's a good idea. They will need many different varieties of each type of plant though. There is one thing that will help ensure this project is a success- diversity. If many different types of the same plants are stored, hybrids can be made and the proper plant can be chosen for the proper conditions.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

You said: "Why now? The governments are letting on more than we know."

A very good question my friend.

I have a tiny theory going on in my mind right now - subject to ATS scrutinization, of course!

Let's suppose a few things:

1. Tom Cruise bought a $10 million 'bunker' - in anticipation of something forthcoming? - I know, I know, this character has a 'quirky' past, but let's assume that this individual is privy to 'underlying events' that are not normal to public relations.

2. Comet 'Holmes' - (There are a few threads about this) - From what I've read in historical documents to present, this is the first time I've seen/read/heard about a comet that exceeds the size of the sun?. This anomalie. when after it was sighted and more than preported to 'Super-nova' conditions, has taken precidence in our daily news. Comets have been sighted throughout history, but this puppy really takes the cake. Comets, throughout recorded history, have been harbringers of doom. Not too long, after one has been sighted, there were accounts of major mishaps, to many degrees. Superstition? Perhaps. Dunno.

3. 'Lock-down practices' in schools - Schools up here in Ontario, Canada, have been more vigelant since 911, but the lock-downs have been more prevelant in these past few months especiallly. My daughter has informed me that the school has been increasing 'lock-down' from 1 time/mo. to 3 times/mo. Why has educational administration upped the amount of times?

I can probably put another 20 examples in here; don't want to tie up the thread.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
yea its strange, when we have something as big as the sun in our solar system how come there is no word on it on the news...i mean is this thing gonna get big enough to engulf up the entire solar system...maybe its alike a force field that will keep us safe???

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I've seen a show on this fault and it's pretty awesome looking and they have millions of seeds, but my only question would be if there was some kind of doomsday and the vault is for what if lets say all the soil is contaminated? Would we artificially grow them? I cant see that lasting for long. Just a thought that came across my mind, and oh yea I hope we never need a use for the vault

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Norway has been working on this for YEARS. I remember hearing about this at LEAST 5 years ago.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Its a seed vault, with the possibility of GW, nuclear war, WW3, etc. The first thing that would suffer the most would be, plants. Save the plants until all the bs is over and re-seed the earth.

OR (this is ATS after all)

They are saving all the seeds in the vault, so that they (elites) can move to Mars and start populating and terraforming it, and start a new world (order).

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I´m Norwegian, and I´ve been keeping up with this whole deep freeze vault thing for a while now.

I highly doubt that the government knows more then they let on. (In fact, I think they know less then they realize. The Norwegian government is, well stupid for a lack of a better term.)

It´s probably more "the government knows best." We in Norway have to live with a nanny state, and this is like the nanny putting your milk in the fridge so it won´t spoil.

But it is a good idea. But as someone else mentioned, what´s the use if the soil is contaminated? Maybe theres another reason for this bunker?

My 0.2Ameros,
FK

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I really can't see any thing overtly sinister in this project on it's own - possibly in conjunction with other world events you could convince your self other wise - but considering that there are more extensions now a days than ever before (in the time humans have been I mean) then it makes sense.

I just really really hope that should the worst happen they have a few variety's of my all time most fav plant - I leave it to your imaginations to decide which one I'm on about!

[edit on 17/11/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
When the GM stuff gets mixed with the natural stuff, you'll never know what will happen. It's nice to have a backup, you know. Some place where the natural, unmixed, original seeds are stored. There are other ways for plants and stuff to go extinct. It doesn't have to be a natural disaster. It could be a man-made disaster. And it's a high risk of that happening when man is playing God.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
i wonder who or what will have the vault 'Keys' or 'Password'...

just knowing that a seed vault exists is not any good,

survivors would need something like greenhouses first,
depending on the catastrophe there will probably not be
mega-acreage farms with John-Deer tractors, reapers,
and storage silos remaining.

the 'Vault' might become something of a 'mythic' symbol...
like the megalith in "2001 A Space Oddessy"

After we have this global calamity, no body can open it,
but legend has it the Vault was the Put there for the
salvation of mankind....
a new mythic god in a sense

[edit on 17-11-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Another thing to consider. When so much ice is melting around the world, vira hidden in the ice will be released. Vira we thought were instinct, and/or even ancient yet-unknown vira. Not only vira that can be dangerous for humans, but also vira that can be dangerous for plants. It's nice to have a backup, in case some vira kills off some of "our" important plants.

Related Thread:
Big Thaw Could Unleash Ancient Plague

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Good point - but how does a virus protect itself from severe cold?
I know that some bacteria are spore forming such as clostridium and bacillus but do viruses do the same?
or do they simply go inert, like suspended animation?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

how does a virus protect itself from severe cold?

I'm not sure how it survives, but you can read about this in the other thread. They've found that the tomato mosaic tobamovirus has survived being entombed in ice for more than 140,000 years. If that virus can survive, other vira can likely do it too.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It seems some vira have a thick protein wall which protects, rather than the calcific shell which spore forming bacteria use.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Why does everything have to be gloom and doom?
We are into space exploration and colonization.
The Moon and Mars would contain stations, with real people
living and working from them.
We are starting to mine Asteroids for water and Deep Impact
has discovered an abundance of minerals that we can now start
a space war over.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join