It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Robbers Killed by Homeowner. Third robber charged with murder?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   

2 Robbers Killed by Homeowner. Third robber charged with murder?

www.foxnews.com

LAKEPORT, Calif. — Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.

In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Very interesting. A lot of these cases are so arguable either way, but I think calling it a racist crime is stretching it. This reminds me of this case I posted a while ago near Syracuse NY, where a police officer in a full size SUV chased down a motorcyclist, went out of control, and died and the teen escaped on the bike. He was arrested two months later on charges of killing the police.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Nice job, homeowner.

GG.

Don't know why other one is charged with murder, though.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

I could see "Involuntary Manslaughter". You can get that for having a car accident and killing someone. Murder is a bit extreme IMO.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Ya

What do you expect him to do, just sit there and watch all his belongings being stolen?

They probably didn't listen to him, as they most likely forced him to use the force.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by el_madmaster

I think the murder charge is a bit excessive. I'm with the previous poster that suggested involuntary manslaughter as a "better" charge, though I would likely go with burglary and/or any weapons charges that could go with the burglary (assuming that the robbers had weapons).

The interesting part of this story to me is the cry of racism. Why is it that anytime a black person is involved in a situation like this there are almost always cries of racism? Why must it be racism simply because the criminals are black? Why not blame the black guys for racism since they broke into a white man's house? It would make just as much sense (neither case makes ANY sense).

Jasn

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I'm glad.

Those two idiots got what was coming to them. It's good to see a fellow American excercise his right to defend himself. I would do the same were I in his shoes. His stepson recieved brain damage from the baseball bat beating he recieved. This kid deserves to rot in prison.

The NAACP complained that prosecutors came down too hard on Hughes, who also faces robbery, burglary and assault charges. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.

The Rev. Amos Brown, head of the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP and pastor at Hughes' church, said the case demonstrates the legal system is racist in remote Lake County, aspiring wine country 100 miles north of San Francisco. The sparsely populated county of 13,000 people is 91 percent white and 2 percent black.

This has nothing to do with race. He is being charged because he commited a crime. If he hadn't broken into someone's home he wouldn't be beholden to the supposedly "racist" legal system.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
i wonder if the good mr. Sharpton already has his plane
ticket?

perfectly acceptable outcome in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

I think it more likely for The good "Reverend" Jesse Jackson to show up.

I'm actually curious to see where this goes over the next little while.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well, pulling the race card is just bogus IMO. And I hate when its pulled.

Under law in many states, if a person is committing a crime and a death of another person is the result of that crime - even if they didn't "pull the trigger" they can be held responsible for it....basically because that death would never have occurred if it wasn't for them committing the crime.

Even if they didnt use this law to charge the surviving criminal, the homeowner would not be charged anyway due to "defense of habitation"

So kudos for the homeowner...and kudos to the courts charging the criminal with this
- (IMO of course)

[edit on 16-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Did I ever tell you that I love you?

Wait......... *looks around* What the hell am I saying?

Jasn

[edit on 16-11-2007 by SimiusDei]

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 17-11-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Now that post deserves a star!!!

*typing extra words to fullfill the "no one-liner" rule

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Where is my star then? HUH? HUH?

I see no star!!

Don't tease the Jasn, 'tis not fair. Grrrrrr

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Under law in many states, if a person is committing a crime and a death of another person is the result of that crime - even if they didn't "pull the trigger" they can be held responsible for it....basically because that death would never have occurred if it wasn't for them committing the crime.

there it is...wurd up for the homeowner....had they not broke into his house, none of them would be dead......the murder was on the robbers shoulders, not the homeowner..

propers to the homeowner for not rolling over....

how many people have been a victim of a home invasion/ been attacked in the home? witnessed a bloody scene in your own house?

that will change how you view things.

perfectly acceptable imo

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Two Snaps Up!

Without sounding cold, this sort of thing should happen more often.

Not so much the killing, but the homeowners taking an aggressive stand against burglary/home invasion.

If would-be criminals thought their odds of getting hurt or even killed at the next attempt were high.... they may think twice.

To address the crime/punishment issue, most definitely throw everything at him. Realistically, the guy will only do about a third of his sentence anyway so the more time collected... the longer his stay.

As far as the Race Card being played.... people trying to make names for themselves.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Good for the home owner. I would have done the same.

Would the charge against the 3rd robber be like guilty by association?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper

Without sounding cold, this sort of thing should happen more often.

There's nothing cold about it. These idiots thought it would be a good idea to go off and rob somebody. This definitely should happen more often. And when it does happen it should be announced to the entire community that this type or criminal idiocy will not be tolerated.

As far as this being racist, America has already decided I can't insult or even dislike another man unless he's white. It wouldn't surprise me if America decided I couldn't defend myself against another man unless he happens to be white as well.

"Oh, hello Mr. Criminal. What's that? You want to shoot me, steal my TV, rape my wife and daughter and then burn the house down? Well, as long as you're not white I guess it's okay."

apc

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
How surprising is this?!

A criminal in California actually getting charged with a crime instead of awarded with a lawsuit settlement from their victim! Maybe there's still hope for that cesspool.

Their Provocative Act doctrine sounds a lot like Felony Murder, if the break-in or assaults is a felony. People were killed as a result of the commission of a crime. Not a whole lot to argue with. Definitely not an issue of race.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
the giy that broke into my house was extradited to texas to serve time there for another crime...
he never served 1 day of time for what he did to my family and i.

just saying....sometimes you need to take the law into your own hands

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by el_madmaster

So damn sick and tired of blacks bitching every time a thug dies at the hands of a white man. It is absolutely disgusting.

If a black man, a latino, a white man, a native American, a eskimo or a green Martian broke into MY home the (snip) wouldn't get three steps through my door.

But..

To make the blacks of this world happy..

Perhaps it should go like this?

"omg, some one is breaking into my house! .."
*crash, smash, crash*
"ah, I see them" *aims gun*
"oh.. never mind... HEY black guys! .. Hows it going? Almost shot you, you know, haha, silly me, I didn't see that you where black guys! My bad! Here, i keep the crystal over here in this cabinet, gosh feel so bad for being a racist (snip) and not realizing I am fortunent enough to have a black guy pillage my house! Oh yeah, hey honey come downstairs! Here fellas, have my wife as well, kids are upstairs if ya want them, ill just phone the police and wait 20 mins for them to get here so you get a nice get away!"
"thanks cracker"

I say, kill the (snip), regardless of race. One survived? Let him serve 100 years in jail for two counts of murder, hes a worthless sack of (snip) anyways.

And if the blacks of this country want to defend him, and say this crap is racist..

Well I think that shows exactly where the priorities of BLACKS are, no?

Besides.

I think the guy should sue the black community because three blacks targeted him, being white. Sounds like a hate crime to me!

Mod Note: Automatic Censors -- Please Review

[edit on 20-11-2007 by chissler]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join