It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holmes comet grows bigger then the SUN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Holmes comet grows bigger then the SUN

www.networkworld.com

The Sun is no longer the largest object in our solar system. The recently visible-to-the-naked-eye Holmes comet has achieved that distinction today. The comet has a larger gas and dust cloud known as the coma, and consequently it has a larger diameter than the sun according to astronomers at the University of Hawaii. Scientists don't seem to have a guess as to how big it will ultimately become.

The Holmes coma's diameter on Nov. 9 was 869,900 miles (1.4 million kilometers), based on measurements by Rachel Stevenson, Jan Kleyna and Pedro Lacerda of the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy. The sun's diameter, stated differently by various sources, is about 864,900 miles (1.392 million kilometers).Holmes is still visible to the naked eye as a fuzzy star anytime after dark, high in the northeast sky. You can find it by using this sky map.

On Monday, Nov. 19, the comet will create a unique sky watching event according to the Web site Spaceweather.com: "The comet will glide by the star Mirfak [also called Alpha Persei] and appear to swallow it-a sight not to be missed.

"NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has watched the bright core of Comet 17P/Holmes, which mysteriously brightened by nearly a millionfold in a 24-hour period beginning Oct. 23, 2007. "This amazing eruption of the comet is produced by dust ejected from a tiny solid nucleus made of ice and rock, only 3.6 kilometers (roughly 2.2 miles) in diameter," The Hawaiian astronomy team wrote in a press statement. The new image from the Hawaiian observatory also shows a modest tail forming to one side, now just a fuzzy region to the lower-right. That's caused by the pressure of sunlight pushing on the gas and dust of the coma. But the comet is so far away-149 million miles (240 million kilometers), or about 1.6 times the distance from Earth to the sun-that even Hubble can't resolve its nucleus.

Comets have gotten a lot of attention this year. For example, in October NASA said one of its satellites captured the image of a solar hurricane ripping off the tail of a passing comet. The resulting collision saw the complete detachment of the plasma tail of Encke's comet, which was traveling within the orbit of Mercury, NASA said. The comet is only the second repeating, or periodic, comet ever identified and has the shortest orbital period - about 3.3 years - of any known comet. Halley's comet was the first.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think this is very interesting indeed. With this comet doing it's thing, our own sun is getting a little crazy and causing global warming on most of the planets. This coupled with the project Lucifer to possibly turn Saturn into another Sun for a binary system.

This all seems way too much of things converging into something possibly huge. Not sure, what do you all think of all of these events? Does anyone think they are connected somehow or just a coincidence that everything IS happening all at once??

I just wanted to share this news article and I hope this isn't a repost or duplicate.. Not too savvy on the page options yet.

Thanks everyone for your time and attention!

www.networkworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There's another thread floating around here, I believe, that discussed an article claiming that crop circles predicted that very event. I didn't have a chance to read it all though so I'm sketchy on the details.

Why do I still not see this thing though when I look up in the sky? I own a telescope and would like very much to get a peak.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
yep, saw that other thread, but it just stated mainly the crop circle stuff.. Hope this isn't a duplicate of the same facts.. I hope it is just another side of it.. Please let me know if it is the same stuff..

I'd love to see it as well, or hopefully better when it comes withing a better range. Thanks for your reply.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
No, now this is astronomers who have now predicted this will happen.

apc

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Somewhere, a packet of Koolaid is being opened.

It'd be nice if the comet means something is going to happen. This World War III stuff is getting old.

mattifikation, this page will guide you on finding it www.skyandtelescope.com....

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
thank you!

my telescope actually has a USB camera adapter that it came with. I've barely played with the telescope but if I can identify the comet and get some decent pictures on my laptop i'll be sure and post them.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
when it first appeared i could see it every night, but about the last week it has faded and now its gone.. are you guys still seeing it?
maybe its my location.. northwest USA?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Yes, it is still visable here in Florida with the naked eye but has started to diminish in brightness, probably due to its increase in size. The position has changed from a week ago, so if your looking in the same spot you need to change your view to a slightly northeasterly movement. It is just west of the star that formed the top of the triangle 2 weeks ago.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It's gotten dimmer to me too. I checked last night and it's barely visible with the naked eye, looks more like a blur now. Also it's in a skinnier triangle shape as mentioned above.

won't be able to sky watch Monday night, so I'm looking forward to seeing member pictures and any additional coverage.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'd not looked for it for a while and was very surprised how dim it was - barely visible to the naked eye from my town garden.

It's now very close to alpha perseus

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thanks for everyone's additions. It is strange that some really can't see it anymore and some others are saying the opposite. Interesting to hear these different observations.

Thanks again everyone!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
if it keeps on growing and turns into a star, what will that mean for our solar system?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

some posts just leave me speechless

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
"Holmes comet grows bigger then the SUN" ... does what, what does the SUN do???? oh I see ...grows bigger THAN the SUN. hehe.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
you guys are jerks! Im trying to determine if I should move out of the solar system or not, and youre not helping!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Would this slow the comet down? If it is growing would that be like putting the brakes on, in order to let those that have hitched a ride with it to unload it's armada of ships?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I had no idea that posters at abovetopsecret have turned into CHAT BRATS!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The title should state "than the sun" not "then the sun". "Then" represents time, "than" references a comparison, thus in this case the comet and the sun. Sorry for the English lesson.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
The title should state "than the sun" not "then the sun". "Then" represents time, "than" references a comparison, thus in this case the comet and the sun. Sorry for the English lesson.

I didnt start this thread mister grammar fancy-pants, and I know the rule. That aside, can we get beyond that and discuss this? the hopi foretold of a blue star. can this be it? and this is my last plucky try...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join