It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Psychological Experience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
A few nights ago (November 7th to be exact) I was going to sleep in my bed. I was restless and could not get to sleep. I checked my alarm and closed my eyes.
When I closed my eyes I had a strange occurrence. I had a vision of myself as I was currently (trying to sleep) and I was surrounded by blackness. The instant my eyes closed I had a vivid picture of myself, and as time went by, my image became smaller and the blackness grew. The blackness seemed to grow exponentially faster the longer my eyes were closed.

The strangest part about it was the feeling that the blackness was part of me. It felt like I was growing out of my body (for lack of a better term). Though I was looking at myself, my perspective was from the blackness. Interestingly, I was awake and conscious during this whole time (It wasn't long about 10 seconds).

I opened my eyes. The instant my eyes opened this stopped, I was back in my bedroom. I noticed that this only affected me when my eyes were closed, including when I blink. I continued closing my eyes and opening them to think about what I was experiencing.

What I found out was that the blackness had substance. From what I felt during the experience it was me and it was three dimensional. It expanded from my image in the center outwards in all directions, and my perspective was as if I was looking into a bubble.

more points
-I was COMPLETELY conscious and could control my eyelids perfectly
-When my eyes were closed, I had absolutely no control over my vision. I could not manipulate it like one can a day dream.
-It happened to me again on Monday night, about 3 hours later (2:30 am) than last Wednesday (11:30 pm).
-It does not stop until I get out of bed and do something
-I could not go to sleep while it was happening, and I had my eyes closed for about 20 minutes straight, the vision just continued

Alright, I think I explained it as good as I can, it is just hard to describe many of the parts like the connection I had with the 'blackness'. I am just interested on what people think of this, and maybe get some insight on why its happening.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I believe this is referred to as an Out of Body Experiance.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I believe this is referred to as an Out of Body Experiance.

That is what I thought, but I could not control the experience. I could on the other hand control whether my eyes were closed. I do not know much about OoB experiences but this seemed too strange from the stories of OoB experiences I have heard in the past.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
YOU"RE CRAZY, MAN!!!!! Just kidding. I have similar experiences, actually. Why do you feel it is a part of you? To me, it feels kind of like my adversary. Like I'm the light and it is the dark.... but just because it doesn't feel like me, doesn't mean it's not. I think maybe it's showing you that there is evil around you that you should try making yourself aware of. Like, for example, if you have some friends that you sometimes wonder why they are attracted to your presence because they seem to bring you down no matter what, maybe that's what the darkness is warning you about. Think of it was a warning, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Sounds like that movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from the 50's. Try focusing and asking for help from God or whoever your higher power is. I had an experience a few years ago where I felt like something was pulling me up towards the ceiling at an incredible rate of speed, like trying to pull my soul out of my body. I grasped onto the bed rail and chanted a prayer or something and it stopped.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

It's called expanded (self)consciousness.

Don't be afraid of it. (I am not saying that you are.)
In a weird way, it's (comparing it to ordinary consciousness) the more accurate perception of how things "really" are.

I had an experience (it's described in the thread "Time - looking back?") that, on the face of it, sounds nothing like yours.

Yet, what you describe sounds remarkably similar to my feelings and perceptions at the time.

P.S. The "blackness" IS a part of you.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Why do you feel it is a part of you?

This is the hardest part to describe about the incident. I feel a strange physiological connection to it. It feels like me, as my body feels like me. It's just odd.

It feels like I have two bodies kind of, because I can still control my physical body.

I am not afraid of it, I want it to happen again so I can learn more about it.

P.S. The "blackness" IS a part of you.

I figured as much, I just did not know what exactly to call it and blackness stuck.

top topics

join