It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain implant enables patients to think out loud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Truth be told, we've already seen instances where technology has enabled individuals to speak without speaking, but a brain implant placed into Eric Ramsey's head could certainly raise the bar in this field.

The wireless electrode, which resides just six-millimeters below the surface of his brain, records pulses from 41 surrounding neurons involved in speech generation, and thanks to software developed by the associated team, those thoughts will hopefully be translated into words in the not-too-distant future.

Currently, the group feels that they can accurately identify the word Ramsey is thinking up 80-percent of the time, and in the coming weeks, a computer will begin giving the patient real-time feedback so he can perfect the art of thinking out loud. 'Course, the team responsible isn't likely to be satisfied until an unadulterated conversation can take place, but it seems we're well on our way to seeing that come to fruition.

Full Story

One step closer in creating a society which controls its surroundings by merely thinking about it.
The thought alone sends shivers down my spine and puts a smile on my face at the same time.

Ohh..., think of the possibilities

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well i hope its use is beneficial to paralysis victims and similar conditions...

I wonder if we could discover anything more about coma's and autism if we implemented this device safely and morally.

On a further note I am against the proposed microchipping of the population, but this chip may help people who cannot communicate and sounds different.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Imagine what a power mad government would use this for...
They would make these chips mandatory,then track and record every thought of every person.
One wrong thought-You will be terminated,or sent to slave camp.

Is there anyone among us who hasn't had the occasional "bad thought?"

Of course the technology sounds great when its applied to people with brain problems-
But they always do this,telling us how everyone will benefit while at the same time hiding the reality of how the technology will be used.
The selling point of the sub dermal implant is usually "old people won't get lost"or"kids will be easier to find if they go missing."

How about telling the truth:That these systems are all about totalitarian control of the underclasses by the elites.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by koenw
One step closer in creating a society which controls its surroundings by merely thinking about it.

Seen Forbidden Planet lately?

Monsters from the ID!

join