It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Egyptians have electric lighting?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Deleted double post
Harte

[edit on 1/7/2009 by Harte]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

thank you for your kind response Harte

if we all would say stop, then why we have a mouth or our curious science?

see what i found : Egypt - Grey Moray Eel

www.travelpod.com...

but i cannot read about this high voltage it can produce, which i saw in this zoo aquarium; may be the little tub made him angry

is this a moray's way to delete his enemy? water and electricity do not mix

i googled and found about ether and electricity:

"There may be a theory which can explain this mechanism (magnetic aether-electrification process) However in magnetic circuits, there are huge magnetic fields, if these fields are consisted of ether, than it seems possible to explain the reaction between ether and electricity.
A. Think of the ether energies as a higher frequency form of ambient free energy. "
full read here:
en.allexperts.com...

aether : on german wikipedia described : blue sky, postulated as light, wave and medium - 17th century

the nil flows down hill from the mountain through 6 countries to the Mediterrenean Sea, and it is divided into Blue Nile River en.wikipedia.org... and white Nile River

the red sea was not that far and is a salt water inlet and many sulfide minerals en.wikipedia.org...
hmm, yes the word electricity is may be not the right word, may be it was "illuminate the inside", as we can see in blue water grottos

en.wikipedia.org...

but the egypts had no glass yet
egyptology.blogspot.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I was going to start a thread asking my questions but thought it was better do add to another thread on the subject even if it is an older thread.

I have read many different points of view on the subject of electricity and light bulbs in ancient times. My problem is that there would obviously be many stories verbally handed down. Where are these stories?
If only the religious leaders had access to this technology and they described it a magic or “God’s Will” to the masses would make more sense, then less word of mouth reference, and we have much word of mouth and writings of magic and God’s power, which would help to support this theory.
Could the Bagdad battery be a rediscover of the electricity much as our rediscovery would have been? If so, why do the Bagdad batteries not work unless modified to work?
All answers that seem to answer some of the questions lead to more questions, which seem to lead further and further away from the ancient world having electricity.

My problem with the above mentioned is, where is the evidence? Would physical evidence be totally wiped out by time? These are also my questions to which I created this post.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Actually, there are extant "recipes" on Ancient Egyptian Papyri for creating one of these. They aren't electric, but actually Alchemical (Al-Khem means "Of Egypt"). These Perpetual Lamps utilized a closed system that fully recycled what was consumed, just causing the liquid to change to gas state and back to liquid state. They would seal the Lamp between two glass halves or shells. I've thought of making one myself just to see if the formula actually works, but as it requires the use of an Asbestos Wick, I've considered otherwise.

When I get home I can dig out the Papryi references and post the translation of the formula for these Perpetual Lamps of Ancient Egypt.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Actually, there are extant "recipes" on Ancient Egyptian Papyri for creating one of these. They aren't electric, but actually Alchemical (Al-Khem means "Of Egypt"). These Perpetual Lamps utilized a closed system that fully recycled what was consumed, just causing the liquid to change to gas state and back to liquid state. They would seal the Lamp between two glass halves or shells. I've thought of making one myself just to see if the formula actually works, but as it requires the use of an Asbestos Wick, I've considered otherwise.

When I get home I can dig out the Papryi references and post the translation of the formula for these Perpetual Lamps of Ancient Egypt.

Umm, asbestos is NOT dangerous to work with. Only the most basic precations are required. Most lighting techs regularly use asbestos gloves to handle hot lights and they are cheap and safe. When they start to get worn you do want to throw them away but even then the danger is practically now existant.

Post the procedure. I know dozens of glass blowers. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them is interested in trying it.

Vas

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tony Pro

According to some skeptics the image of the Egyptians holding that lightbulb is them holding an "eggplant"...

Personally I wouldn't find it surprising to learn that the Egyptians had a lightbulb, after all these people built the pyramids, something with our "advanced" engineering that we would have trouble doing.

People don't give the ancients enough credit, we like to think we're at the pinnacle of technology but many of our ideas can be attributed to civilizations that are ancient. Take the flame thrower for instance, the Greeks invented the first flame thrower was built at the turn of the AD years and in fact may go back even before that...

Greek Fire

We have to remember there was no television, hardly anything written down, no cell phones, or internet (or ATS) to keep the ancients busy with nonsense so they had plenty of time to figure things out, build things, and work their butts off so its possible they had some tech we'd consider "advanced" for their time...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I have no problem in believing that the depictions might be of light bulbs, but where is the physical evidence?
Wouldn’t we find some kind of receptacles somewhere?
Where are the electrical devices?
Wouldn’t there be glass shards littering the floor of the pyramids where the lights would have been?
Was there even glass during the time of the Ancient Egyptians?
Where are the wires?
Could the Egyptologists misinterpreted electrical receptacles and other devices for something else?
Would the wire rusted away by now or just thrown in a miscellaneous pile by Egyptologists not knowing what they were?
Would the evidence disintegrated over the millennia?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
To the comment on if there was glass during ancient Egypt. Yes. If you stick any form of metal into the ground where there will be lighting the intense heat will act as a catalyst with the sand fusing the sand particles creating glass. Gosh you people need to watch "Sweet Home Alabama". Anyway you can obtain the glass which can actually turn out rather nicely =). I am going to be trying the experiment though pretty soon.

Also they could have used quartz crystal to create electricity which other ancient civilizations could have potentially done. Tesla used crystals for some of his experiments.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by Tony Pro

According to some skeptics the image of the Egyptians holding that lightbulb is them holding an "eggplant"...

Lotus flower with snake (look again and you'll see the snake's full head with eyes), symbolizing the division of order from chaos. The text (there's text next to those pictures) says it's a lotus flower.

www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk...

You can look the text up for yourself and grab some Ancient Egyptian translation books and read it for yourself.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VenomR
To the comment on if there was glass during ancient Egypt. Yes.

There was, but not much of it was completely. It's not that easy to make clear glass.

Here's some beautiful relics made of glass:
www.touregypt.net...

Glassmaking in AE can be seen here:
www.touregypt.net...

This is more typical (used in faience... I am a *little* suspicious of a few of those pieces, though.)
www.ancienttouch.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

I don't know, no one does, even the historians likely don't agree on what type of lighting was used (though I'm sure they'd be less open to the idea of primitive light bulbs)...

I'm not an expert on ancient Egyptian technology, which goes without saying, all I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if they had them...

Physical evidence is a nice thing to have, but it isn't always present. If they did have light bulbs perhaps they were powered by chemically created electricity and then the entire set up was removed after the building of the pyramid... Who knows really all I know is where physical evidence is lacking (as is the case with many ancient events) the human imagination is left to conjure up explanations both simple and fantastic...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I am neither a skeptic or believer fully, I ask questions of both sides. The questions i put forth are simply those that rattle around in my head when i start to think of any of this interesting stuff. I am not trying to start arguments, but ask questions that may help in understanding.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Agreed, excellent post, the truth can only be found if we explore all sides of the mystery with open but reasonably skeptical minds

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Those two "bulbs" are very interesting. Images like those spark the imagination. Strange artwork is nothing new in this world. Modern art is never what it looks like. The artist is the only one who knows what it's all about.

So, how did they really light the dark chambers?

The strange light orbs we see as UFOs today were the ones who lit up the chambers. All these ancient cultures had appointed times when they made offerings to their gods. The god/UFO would enter the sacred chamber and observe the offering. The presence of the strange light would perpetuate the belief in the god.

This also happened with the Israelites. When the High Priest entered into the most holy chamber an unknown light source would light the room. The camp of Israel would disembark when the cloud of fire (by night) would depart to another location. This is one of those UFO light orbs.

It appears they don't light our modern religious chambers anymore. They just dance around up in the sky and scare the crap out of our airline pilots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join