It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British nukes were protected by bike locks

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Hmmm,bike locks..At least theres no password to forget!

It reminds me of the US using there 0000000 code to arm their nukes.

Well found Bodrul.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
These type of news scares me.

US thinks they should control all the Nukes in the world so that they cannot be obtained by terrorists... but than Governments are so careless...

(BTW Silcone Synapse I liked the Carl Segan's Phrase you have
)

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thats just fantastic.

Safety for our nuclear missiles? What on earth for? All our servicemen are above reproach. I mean we only need worry about some fools who ride bikes, carry small change and visit Ikea...

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Cheeky little bastards, aren't they?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If you were a rouge state or a run o the mill terrorist, would you even consider the idea that the UK nukes were protected by bicycle locks?

Why spend tons of money to employ a complex security system if the bad guys just take it for granted that you will do so? Hence going the simple route!

I'd think the more likely scenario would be a kid coming upon one in some accidental way and just out of curiosity trying his key in the lock.

In this case the illusion of security worked better than the real thing and probably was allot less headaches as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

i guess the brits used to practice the kiss formula ? =keep it simple stupid----------not an insult to anyone intended-------if you want to make sure it will detonate upon arrival at target you wouldnt want 1 glitch out of 50? safeguards to prevent it from working------or would you ?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vector J

hey i'm 60+ and i still like riding a bike----although nowdays i'm spoilt with the mt. bike design that has a double suspension----not like the crappy old things we had when we were kids----not to worry--last thing i would want for a toy would be a nuke !

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I keep picturing Mr. Bean locking up a nuclear missile to a bike rack.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
reply to post by bodrul

i guess the brits used to practice the kiss formula

Thats the first thing I thought. As long as someone does move one from the security of British personnel, it works pretty well. Seems a big chance to take.

Still I hope my bank uses better locks on it's vault.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
you mean when they remember to lock the vault.

with the proper security a cheap lock is all you need

reply to post by roadgravel

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I doubt they were stored outside on a bike rack being locked with a bike lock. I imagine the facility they were being stored in was highly secure itself.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Pardon me,

But I had several bikes stolen, which were supposed to be "protected" by a bike lock and that did not represent any problems for the bike thieves (which probably sold it for a quick fix). So how is that supposed to stop anyone from stealing nukes?

Actually I think that the overall nuclear-base-perimeter-security is tight enough, so that nobody even dares to try to infiltrate. Yet now, that They know, how British nuclear arsenal is protected, They might want to try...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Fear Not!

As the article points out, British nuclear safeguards have long since been upgraded...

No worries, mate!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
James Bond would never have approved of something so tacky and foolhardy as a bike lock.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by Flighty]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I lock my bike in a bunker protect by 15 guardsmen in radiation suits.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe it should be pointed out that these locks were on BOMBS, and rather old ones at that, and not on missiles.

The locks, similar to certain other locks were behind a small access plate.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Bike locks? That's a good one..
I suppose it's a typical Bh. humour trait that nobody really understand.
Now gimme the keys so i can send that little piece of rock called Ingland in hell

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The bigger question is this: Was the door to the facility where the nukes are being kept left wide open?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Maybe they were there so any terrorist type people ...would think when looking at the locks...bloody hell we followed the wrong truck...even the village idiot knows you don't put a bikelock on anything that may blow the crap out of you!! maybe that was the strategy !! lol and its cheap !!lol

Bloody silly if you ask me!! just another example of the imbeciles that we have in government and the system !!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join