It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi punishes gang rape victim with 200 lashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Saudi punishes gang rape victim with 200 lashes

www.breitbart.com

A court in the ultra-conservative kingdom of Saudi Arabia is punishing a female victim of gang rape with 200 lashes and six months in jail, a newspaper reported on Thursday.
The 19-year-old woman -- whose six armed attackers have been sentenced to jail terms -- was initially ordered to undergo 90 lashes for "being in the car of an unrelated male at the time of the rape," the Arab News reported.

But in a new verdict issued after Saudi Arabia's Higher Judicial Council ordered a retrial, the court in the eastern town of Al-Qatif more than doubled the number of lashes to 200.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
How anyone can sit there and call this a civilized society is beyond comprehension.

This too: www.abovetopsecret.com...

They hang people for admitting to homosexuality...and now this. Please........some religion. These laws are based on religion?????

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Sad isn't it?

And to think how many people take for granted the freedoms and liberties we have in places like American and Europe.

I'd say something about it being our job to help out the oppressed people in countries like these, but people here would probably call me a war monger.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst
These laws are based on religion?????
No. These laws are based on a bastardization of a decent religion.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I wouldn't call you a warmonger. But then again, I suffer from a chronic strain of rationality foreign to so many nowadays.

Just because you say "we probably shouldn't let them punish a rape victim like that" doesn't mean that we have to fly in, carpet nuke them, and build Starbucks every 2 blocks. It's one of the reasons we need to get off foreign oil so badly, because once the money is gone their society will be forced into introspection (or, rather, the leaders of the country will scapegoat their former purchasers).

It's a bad idea to rush into another country because we disagree with their laws. It is also a bad idea to put your fingers in your ears and go "la la la la la" while innocent people are abused. This is really where I split with noninterventionists and neoconservatives. We shouldn't force our society on them (global society is going to harmonize over the next couple hundred years due to our advanced communications; pick up any differential equations text to see what I mean), but at the same time, it is fundamentally wrong, as just as bad as their policies are, so say"eh, I care more about my economic growth and my iPod and my safety." That is selfishness (on both ends) that is shameful.

The west has the technology and the opportunity to help guide people into a more platonically just temperament. But the operative word is guide.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That's what the Islamic world wants to bring into civilized nations, also Islam encourages pedophilia and rape since that's what their prophet was recognized and praised for.

apc

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

You are a warmonger, warmonger. But I say we fly in, carpet nuke them, and build a McDonalds every 4 blocks.

Far more barbaric logic takes place in some countries in Africa. Doubt you'll hear about many of them on the news though.

Emotion is a powerful tool.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

I think it's sad that people jump to these conclusions. Christianity has had a slew of questionable characters in its history, but the tenants aren't wicked. It's the same thing with Islam.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's not a conclusion really, it's a statement that many current Islamic leaders have made...regarding their 'Global Islamic take-over'...and I don't know how Christianity always comes up. Never defended Christianity...it has a bloody history as well, but then again...Christians aren't the ones flying planes into buildings or strapping bombs to their kids and blowing them up in crowds. That's pretty much just Islam as far as I'm aware.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
my reply from the other topic that was closed

reply to post by Bushwacked

This isn’t new
Saudi and most Arab countries are backwards
They stopped progressing a couple hundred years ago when their lust of power got the better of them.

Before they use to have breakthroughs in science and technology
Nowadays it’s following some form of law that was written by men which they supposedly heard from the prophet and distorted even further over the centuries to ensure dominance and power in their backyard.

Stoning women and down grading them
Pathetic,

Even so a woman is the only reason they are in this world.
And the first person to believe and comfort the prophet when the angels spoke to him was a Woman
And one thing the prophet has said is heaven lies at the feet of your Mother.

I’m no Fan of the Arabs, Israelis

[edit on 16-11-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

they already have macdonolds and so on
thats the only thing the US is still able to export that hasnt got parts made in china on it
unless then the buns are

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Togetic

i have learnt there is no point and reason
trying to speak to people that alreday have their minds made up and dont want to learn anything about what they speak out against or try to demonise, just shows their ignorance on the subject which shines through to people who read it.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm no expert but isn't Saudi law based in large on Wahabbi teachings? This is a very orthodox version of Islam, and in no way reflective of most sects.

To say this is wrong in my eyes would be an understatement. More like barbaric.

It is time and past for the United State to rethink its relations with the House of Saud. A pox on its house and all within it.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Notice something? Conservative Saudi Arabia, Conservative Iran, Conservative Syria, Conservative Aganistan, but also Conservative NAZI Party(They were the conservatives in Germany and considered the answer to stopping the liberals and communists) and the Conservative Catholic Church(25,000+ pedophile priests in America alone and not only that but were protected all the way up to the Pope who they believe talks to God and the total lack of respect for women) the Conservative KKK, the Conservative CCC, the Conservatives wanting to keep women from voting, the Conservatives in the south who supported Jim Crowe Laws and were against their right to vote or be considered human, the Conservatives who treated the Indians so poorly an Indian had to fight in the Supreme Court to prove he was HUMAN!... Anyone notice one thing linking all these evil groups and people together? Not liberalism or peace and harmony...

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

Your implication is wrong, and it is disingenuous. As I recall, Stalin killed nearly 20,000,000 people. The Soviets also killed many more; I think the grand total was around 100,000,000. These were, by definition, not conservative organizations. So it just goes to show that hatred, viciousness, and inhumanity are not qualities limited to the left or the right.

[edit on 11/17/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

No one group of people have a cornered market on hatred. To say otherwise is to be blind to the reality of the world around you. People are people, no matter where, no matter color, ethnicity, or creed. Concervatives are this, liberal are that, jews are this, catholics are something else, using absolutes to describe any group of people is stupidity run rampant, it leaves you blind to the very real good that is in any group of people no matter how reviled.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HHH Is King
Notice something? Conservative Saudi Arabia, Conservative Iran, Conservative Syria, Conservative Aganistan, but also Conservative NAZI Party...

And these are the nations and regimes that "progressives" always defend on tribalistic grounds of "it's their country and their culture so they can do what they damn well please." Of course the "theys" are always conservatives, but non-Western conservatives acting against "imperialism", which of course justifies everything. Never mind that these non-Western regimes are the most regressive and illiberal on the face of the planet. Never mind that the victims here are women (as in this case), ethnic minorities, and the poor!

I would also like to hear what feminazis such as Catherine McKinnon and Andrea Dworkin feel about this case. Probably nothing; they are more interested in defending the rights of American billionaires' ex-wives in divorce cases, and "stalked" female celebrities who can afford to hire private armies for their protection.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I believe in evolution and I think it has passed up certain regions on this planet by a millennia or 2.

top topics

join