It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holmes bigger than the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Source

A comet that has delighted backyard astronomers in recent weeks after an unexpected eruption has now grown larger than the sun. The sun remains by far the most massive object in the solar system, with an extended influence of particles that reaches all the planets. But the comparatively tiny Comet Holmes has released so much gas and dust that its extended atmosphere, or coma, is larger than the diameter of the sun.

Wow, this is some extraordinary news. How did that comet get so big? Could it be the so called "Planet X"?

This is the interesting part of the article:

Nobody knows why Holmes erupted, but it underwent a similar explosive brightening in 1892.

As a response to the quote above:

The Hawaiian astronomy team writes in a press statement: "This amazing eruption of the comet is produced by dust ejected from a tiny solid nucleus made of ice and rock, only 3.6 kilometers (roughly 2.2 miles) in diameter."

I don't see how comet dust could form a sphere when it is traveling like a bullet through space.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Dan5647]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I hasn't formed a sphere, we're just in a position to see it end on. Imagine it's a cone, then I think you'll get it.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

So its either heading away or towards us. OK I understand.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing Thread

Obscure Comet Brightens Suddenly

--------- *Thread closed*-------------

new topics

top topics

join