It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. deserters lose bid for Canada refugee status

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

U.S. deserters lose bid for Canada refugee status

www.reuters.com

Two Americans who deserted the U.S. Army to protest against the war in Iraq lost their bid for refugee status in Canada on Thursday.

The Supreme Court of Canada declined to hear appeals from the two men, Jeremy Hinzman and Brandon Hughey, over decisions by immigration authorities -- backed in two subsequent court rulings -- that they were not refugees in need of protection.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is one of those rare stories that sort of leave me at odds.

On one hand, I am very much against the war-for-profit that is the Iraq Invasion. That part of me easily understands why these guys did what they did.

On the other hand, when you put your name to those papers, you are agreeing to live a different life where orders become the law and you agree that you will follow those orders under penalty of imprisonment.

I really can't make up my mind entirely on this case.

There is a large part of me that feels these guys did the right thing and, therefore, they need to be left alone to lead their lives.

Then there is that small part of me that knows that what these guys did was against the law and the violated oaths that they swore to.

This is one of those bad sides of war that doesn't really get debated as much as it should.

Anyone joining the military is, in essence, giving up their rights to decision making as far as what is right or wrong.

But, does that make what they do any less right or wrong?

It certainly never seems to when members of the military do wrong (ie: rape, pillage).

Something that does crawl my ass however, is the fact that the military is so prudent in regards to it's "soldiers" fervently supporting them, yet, when the same soldiers screw up, the military is so quick to abandon them.

Jasn

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join