It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia sect holes up in cave to await end of world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

"They have covered the entrance and refuse to come out and are threatening to blow themselves up," an official in the local prosecutor's office told Reuters by telephone. "They threaten to detonate a gas tank and blow themselves up."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Maybe it's because I don't share the same mindset, but what is the purpose of holing themselves up to await the end of the world AND threatening to kill themselves if not left alone?

Are they holing up to protect themselves? Or are they holing up hoping they get taken first? Or what?

This ordeal confuses me.

Jasn

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This looks like it could be, in part, a protest over taxation.

The sect members in the Penza cave are followers of 43-year-old Pyotr Kuznetsov, who moved to Nikolskoye last year claiming to head up the true Russian Orthodox Church, said Alevtina Volchkova, chief prosecutor of the region's Bekovsky district, where the village is located, the Regnum news agency reported.

"They say the current Russian Orthodox Church is commercialized," Volchkova was quoted as saying. "The church has its own tax code and carries out commercial activities, so [the sect claims to] represent the real Russian Orthodox Church."
Source | TheMoscowTimes.com | Sect Waiting Out Doomsday in Penza Cave

More news links:

Guardian Unlimited | Russian doomsday sect threatens mass suicide

ITAR-TASS | Criminal proceedings opened against Penza sect leader

RIA Novosti | Russia | Sect members dig tunnel, await apocalypse in Central Russia

Too bad, apparently, they don't own the cave, then they might have just been left alone.

At least so far, the authorities haven't gone all "Waco" on 'em.

Let's hope, for the sake of the children, they just let the sect sit there until they run out of supplies, get hungry, and they come out on their own.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei

"They have covered the entrance and refuse to come out ... "They threaten to detonate a gas tank and blow themselves up."[/exnews

well, the threat tell us outworlders that they have resources in the cave
(a gas tank) for the purpose of living comfortably ?
as the gas could provide fuel for electric generators and other stuff.

so...all in all, this does not seem a spontaneous thing that is leading to a standoff with authorities.

live or die with dignity is my underlying thinking

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I opened a thread about this yesterday, no one really bit which I thought was unusual given all the different religious beliefs here on ATS.

Shame these nuts have to drag children in to the equation.

Link to thread

Regards S_G

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
One of the children inside is a 1 year 4 month old girl... awful stuff..

I cannot unfortunately find the outcome of this whole sect movement barricading themselves in this cave... It's been over 24 hours, authorities say that temperatures drop to -15C at night!

Edit to add:

It seems that the police are planning on using sleeping gas to combat the so called sect.

The cave is a man-made one, made by the sectants this summer.

Many of the sectants are illegal immigrants from Belarus, Ukraine, or Russians having legal problems.

[edit on 17/11/07 by MastaG]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think its just a cover to get these people out. Kinda like the not in my town philosophy. Just making a statement here, but after getting through the frost layer aka about 2 and 1/2 feet, the earth will stay at a constant temperature, ruffly 50f or 4-5c. This being said, if this cave has many followers, it has to be big enough to house them, therefore, it has to be deep and the temperature affects outside would have no bearing on what is going on inside, especially given the fact that its closed off. Additionally, they have fuel, most likely for cooking, as well there own bodies. These two combined should be sufficient along with warm clothes to keep warm in there clothes.

Honestly, I think the government should leave them alone, and occasionally just check up on them. If they are illegal aliens, setup a barricade outside, man it with a few people an wala, you have a makeshift prison that they, themselves built.

Bottom line, leave them be, if the end of the world happens as they say, then we have nothing to worry about, and if they run out of food or water, they will eventually come out anyway. Theres no reason to raid the cave. There safe, secure, and healthy. they are in a safe place, out of site, and aren't bothering the neighbors. Heck they may even be nice, and provide trash service for them to get rid of any nasty diapers, if they aren't cloth.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Awaiting the end of the world for everyone or just the end of the world for them?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
camain, you are absolutely right. Your method would probably make them get out faster...if nobody bothers them.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I just try to put myself in there situation, you are an accultist that has barricaded himself in a cave. Government troops are waiting outside to rape, and kill every man, woman, and child in there with you. You don't believe in violence, but are you honestly going to let little mary thats 1 1/2 years old get raped and killed, or are you going to blow the cave when they try to raid you and kill as many of them as you can on your way out?

Just leave them be. setup a barricade, when they wanna come out, let them. Start video taping the entire thing, have some reporters there, that way if you start hearing shots you can go in, and be legit. If you don't then when they get tired, sick, and hungry, they'll give up.

Cheers

Camain

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I say leave them all be.... I mean are they doing any harm?

Seriously, those caves can't be any colder than outside, maybe they're onto something eh?

new topics

top topics

join