It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Campaign Supporters Possibly Stealing Credit Card Numbers to Boost Fundraising???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Ron Paul's campaign fundraising effort has been tarnished by petty thieves attempting to use credit card theft to collect money:

Proof has surfaced that the Ron Paul campaign received monies from people resorting to some unscrupulous donation tactics - in short, credit card theft.

According to Jaye Ruffino, a political contributor, identity thieves tried to run a test charge on her account and it was frozen.

shadowdemocracy.wordpress.com...

Now, I want to state up front that I do not think Mr. Paul had prior knowledge of these antics. He is just too honest, imo. I think this was the work of either overzealous fundraisers or petty thieves, most likely the latter. And the sums involved were too small to risk his career over.

Could this have been the work of people who want to make RP look bad?

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It's possible, although I highly doubt it.

For the most part, the people who do not support Ron Paul, like myself, have absolutely no faith that he can even come close to a nomination to begin with. I would see no point in trying to ruin the campaign of someone you think has no chance anyway.

Who knows though, like you said, it's most likely just petty thieves.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This is the most frustrating story in the news.

I have a degree in computer related crime investigation and my career has been in and around the field of ECommerce Security. I'm sorry to bust your bubble, but Internet Security is a complete JOKE.

Before I go off on a wild tangent about how common people lose billions of dollars to identity theft every year and nobody does anything to stop it, i'll tell you the truth about these (over ONE dozen!) mysterious $5.00 fraudulent charges

When your website gets a sale for the absolute cheapest thing you offer with Next Day Air Shipping and the contact email address belongs to "beebophax0r23@yahoo.com," pretty safe bet that's not a legitimate order. But if criminals are smart enough to create, commit, and get away with these crimes, how can they be so stupid as to place their order using all the common red flags for fraud? They're just testing cards! When their tiny transaction gets approved, they know they can start using it on products they can sell overseas.

You would think that testing cards this way is a bad idea, since it's an obvious tip off that it's fraud. Surprisingly, you'd be wrong. Because half of our management has had direct experience with credit card fraud in ecommerce and the time it drains from your productivity, EVERYTHING fraudulent is reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center as well as the FBI. We dilligently report internet crime, fight chargebacks from credit card companies who happily return money to customers and then make US pay for the crime. The credit card company doesn't foot the bill like they tell you. They still your small business owner neighbor with the bill because his website fell victim to fraud. You know it's really bad when legitimate customers are filing chargebacks because they no longer recognize their charges, and the credit card companies STILL take the money away from you. Just so you know, those companies aren't as helpful as they'd have you believe. They're making sure you keep your money by making sure i pay them.

Anyway. Internet Fraudsters don't care about Ron Paul. They care about stealing money from innocent people. You see a historical fundraiser with constant donations that rank in the millions. Fraudsters see a ridiculous number of transactions being processed at speeds that threaten the security of credit card processors. Put 2 and 2 together, boys and girls, because that makes a massive online fundraiser a gold mine for thieves. They can test their cards all they want without fear of those cards being caught, because everything is so frantic.

Don't worry. All the people who had $5.00 taken from their account got that back probably within 24 hours if not instantly. But think about all the money that was lost on those cards on big purchases after the test charges worked. Remember, even though you're covered, small business is forced to give the money back to the credit card company to pay you. Then, small business turns to the only people it can- the authorities. Remember that i told you my company reports every case of fraud to the FBI? Yeah, we have NEVER received a call from them regarding ANY of our cases, and we have hundreds of cases open.

But the inadequacy of our fight against internet crime is a topic for another thread.

ape

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Excellent post Cyfre. The 16th is going to be interesting.

posted by nyk537
For the most part, the people who do not support Ron Paul, like myself, have absolutely no faith that he can even come close to a nomination to begin with

And Mike Huckabee does? He is gushing all over Rudy G, he wants a VP spot. Those 2 liberals belong together anyways. Are you even a conservative?

[edit on 15-11-2007 by ape]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
You seem to just be following me around hassling me about Mike Huckabee.

Have you ever seen me mention his name once outside of that thread? Have you ever seen me in a thread trying to push his agendas or stances? NO.

I stated that some of his core values align closely with mine, I never said I agree 100% with his policies at this point. I only said that compared with the other candidates at the time, I felt he was making the best case. Opinions are free to change in time as well. I can almost guarantee you that by the time the election rolls around, I'll be supporting somebody who I think can do a better job. That's how politics works.

I'm not going to pick one candidate from the very beginning and follow him no matter what.

My main concern is for my country, not for any politician.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What, libertarians expecting others to foot the bill for their privileges?

Perish the thought!

Besides, they don't need to steal. Daddy lets them use his platinum card while he's down on the course!

[edit on 16-11-2007 by The Walking Fox]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Quite the analysis of Libertarianism my friend.

Nothing to add to it really; it just gave me a good laugh.

ape

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
You seem to just be following me around hassling me about Mike Huckabee.

Not following you around, just responding to you in threads that I happen to be reading. You ( like most of his detractors here ) always do drive-bys on Ron Paul without going into detail, it's pretty annoying. You've pretty much shot your conservative credentials with that official endorsement of Mike Huckabee though. On the other hand Ron Paul was just endorsed by Barry Goldwater Jr. This makes his chances to win even better. You won't even bump your thread to debate about the Hucksters record, so yeah I will continue to hawk yours posts that go after Ron Paul when I feel like it.

[edit on 17-11-2007 by ape]

new topics

top topics

join