It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots Of Churches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This post is not only for Christian places of worships but all "Houses of God".
When I was a child (I'm 16 now), I use to wonder wny were there so many houses for God?? Then I wondered, why are the "houses" made in such a fancy manner??? God surely doesn't live in all of these places of worship.
This is somewhat off topic to the subject. I saw this picture in some magazine, and it was of inside a Church with people praying. There was the cross of Christ at the front, the two priests at the side, and the people sitting down praying, in front of the cross. Isn't the cross an idol, and aren't they technically praying to the idol, because that's representing the place were Christ died. I thought that it's a sin to pray to idols.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I guess the cross represents Jesus, but then again they can just get a jesus statue instead of a cross....

Might I recommend

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Then I wondered, why are the "houses" made in such a fancy manner???

The church I went to as a child looked like a big garage.

Not all of them look like cathadreals

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
lol...I love that "buddy Christ" figure...lol...

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
When I was a child (I'm 16 now), I use to wonder wny were there so many houses for God?? Then I wondered, why are the "houses" made in such a fancy manner??? God surely doesn't live in all of these places of worship.
This is somewhat off topic to the subject. I saw this picture in some magazine, and it was of inside a Church with people praying. There was the cross of Christ at the front, the two priests at the side, and the people sitting down praying, in front of the cross. Isn't the cross an idol, and aren't they technically praying to the idol, because that's representing the place were Christ died. I thought that it's a sin to pray to idols.

It's been explained in other threads, but here's the gist of it-
An idol is something you worship in palce of God. IE praying to a golden calf, where the golden calf is the god. The crucifix is not what people are praying to directly ("Oh, big hunk of metal, forgive my sins"). It's a center of focus, and it's artistic. Both are a part of the human condition.

[Edited on 31-1-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
A church is like an architectual depiction of a woman. I personally find that quite disturbing. Whorish to say the least. Anyway, I see only one House of God. There are many rooms and mansions in that house. That house is in Heaven. Heaven is God's throne.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hamilton
A church is like an architectual depiction of a woman. I personally find that quite disturbing. Whorish to say the least.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

A church is like an architectual depiction of a woman. I personally find that quite disturbing. Whorish to say the least.

When you look at the entrances, for instance, they are often shaped like, well, female genitalia. Not that I personally find that offending, it can be quite fun to suddenly find yourself walking inside a giant stone pussy, but for the love of God!

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

When you look at the entrances, for instance, they are often shaped like, well, female genitalia.

Arches are sound archtectural structures.

but for the love of God!

I think that's the point

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

When you look at the entrances, for instance, they are often shaped like, well, female genitalia.

And just like women once your through there all they wont to do is talk and talk and talk

Just kidding ladies

[Edited on 31-1-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If they didnt fake Jesus' death on the cross and really killed him by guillotine instead,do you think christians would be wearing guillotines around their neck.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
If they didnt fake Jesus' death on the cross and really killed him by guillotine instead,do you think christians would be wearing guillotines around their neck.

A guillotine would be a bit hard to fashion, but maybe a guillotine blade.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
"" God does not live in all of these houses ""

he doesnt live anywhere because he is everywhere, where you ar he is, where his church is he is. But he keeps
special wtch over his churches as his places ofworship. Church is where we recieve the most
important ting nd that is the breaking of bread, the sacrafice of Jesus.

th cross represents the memory of jesus death, having onein chuch honors his death. it is not an idol. an idol is a thing made of stone or wood that humans creat and worship on their own. noone in church
worships the crossitself, but they recognize it as (memory) of his death, its also not a good luck charm oranything like that.

God bless, peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If god is watching over 'his' churches he is not doing a good job. Don't people get killed in churches,,roofs collapsing,lightning murder things like that,child molestation.
And there was no sacrifice of jesus.He survived the crucifiction just like thousands of others.There are plenty of sightings and writtings from 'jesus the magician' after his supposed death.
A cross is an idol,its made by humans and out of wood and worshiped.maybe you would have better luck with a rabbits foot.....Oh yeah,,, not to lucky for the rabbit..right.Well the cross was not to lucky for jesus either......thats funny.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If we have that shining light (piece of the Creator) in everyone of us, then why do we need a Church, or special place of worship?

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
ashley were they sincere questions?

Remember Jesus said he created one church with one fold and one belief. All churches believe in something different so not
allchurches are his, even some of our churches where you find priest who commit horrible acts towards kids are not his churches if the certain
person remains. Where there is truly a holy preist there is God working throgh him and God will look out for him and lead him to souls.

If there were only three members of his church that existed in the world there is where the churh would be, where these people exist. Church represents the number of his fold who all believe in his revealed truth and the same God, the building is where
the sacrafice is given and holds these people.

The cross is not worshipped, ou church does not teach this, never has and never will, ever. Its a sign of memory that we carry, anybody who worshipps the cross, a peice of wood, is worshipping an idol according
to our church.

peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It's been explained in other threads, but here's the gist of it-
An idol is something you worship in palce of God. IE praying to a golden calf, where the golden calf is the god. The crucifix is not what people are praying to directly ("Oh, big hunk of metal, forgive my sins"). It's a center of focus, and it's artistic. Both are a part of the human condition.

[Edited on 31-1-2004 by Esoterica]

Gday,

But like many christians including my Uncle they beleive that Jesus(pbuh) is god?
So doesnt that make it even more wrong to have his picture liek that infront of a place that is meant to be used to pray to The One True God?

Salaam

Guerilla

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth

"" God does not live in all of these houses ""

he doesnt live anywhere because he is everywhere, where you ar he is, where his church is he is. But he keeps
special wtch over his churches as his places ofworship. Church is where we recieve the most
important ting nd that is the breaking of bread, the sacrafice of Jesus.

th cross represents the memory of jesus death, having onein chuch honors his death. it is not an idol. an idol is a thing made of stone or wood that humans creat and worship on their own. noone in church
worships the crossitself, but they recognize it as (memory) of his death, its also not a good luck charm oranything like that.

God bless, peace.

A cathedral is also shaped like a cross which is lying down. If you see the cross as a symbol of Jesjuah, he will be twise cursed. For when it is upright, he is dying, and when it is layed down he is dead. Why the hell can't they rather stay in graves, they are obsessed with death. The cross to me is the symbol of the Babylonian antichrist. A Sun sign implying death and ressurection and a series of curses. A man shaped tree. A horrible tool of torture. And the main symbol of the Church. I dispise to see Jesjuah crucified. It is like seeing my father humiliated and falsely accused. I don't like that. Makes me somewhat angry.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Not at all, I see the cross as a sign of his sacrafice. when I look at the cross
i imediately see his sacrafice he did for us. Noone in my church worships the cross and my church
is shaped in a rectangle not a cross lying down.

you can percieve it how you want to, but to me its a memory of the sacrafice, just like iin scripture where it says (take up thy cross). what is cross? thy burden, when
i look at this cross i remember the passage and what burden i have to take up.

peace.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

~*~
hi there TheCatalyst,

you need to get around more...thems' not the new style of church

see todays (3 feb)FoxNews-> article:
Religion gets SuperSized at MEGA-CHURCHES

www.foxnews.com...
~^~...oops, U might have to go to main page & scroll down...

excerpt

...At the biggest church in the country Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas- Pastor Joel Osteen preaches to some 25,000 people each week- and sin is not on the menu. Osteen said his goal is to
'give people a boost for the week'

the URL: www.lakewood.cc...

-> seems the feel good-time-rock-&-roll entertainment enterprize is needing to expand, a former sports arena is in the offing as a venue, nowhere did i hear-of or see CROSSES or other ICONS previously revered by other faithfull-practicioners..[.except the PeaceDove? maybe?but thats' a crossover image!]

enjoy your journey

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join