It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can home security systems be used to spy on you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hello this is the first time I've started a thread. I am not sure if this the right location for this or not so let me apologize if I am in error.

After reading numerous threads about the government being able to tap phone calls, e-mails and internet traffic without warrants I started to think about the home security systems. I have a fairly new security system that has two-way communication ability. The guy who installed it for me was telling me that if the alarm goes off they will contact me over the intercom and they will be able to hear my response with the built in microphone. He said it was a good microphone and would be able to pick up my voice even in an adjoining room. That way I can get help even if I can't get near the intercom. This sounded good to me because hey I like to feel protected. Now I am wondering if they can turn the microphone on at anytime and be able to listen in on whatever is going on in the room.

Now I am in no way stating that I believe the government is listening to me, but if they did want to listen to anyone with a security system they would only need access to the server call center that the security system is hooked up to. There is already talk of them tapping AT&T for internet and phone traffic, why couldn't they also tap the security centers for access?

I'd like to hear the thoughts of others about this. Do you think it is another possibility the government might have looked into using?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It is possible to hack into any computer system. If the intercom uses phone lines, I would say it would be a definite possibility.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Angrylightbulb

How many folks do you think the "government" has sitting around, that are available to bug every home that has a security system?

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't think they would listen to every home that has a security system, that would be a futile attempt with the limited personnel they have, but they could selectively listen to houses they chose for whatever reason.

top topics

join