It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose laws govern ATS?

page: 1

join
share:
DCP

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I was reading a post and someone got edited and at the bottom was this:

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden.

Whose laws?

To me it looks like SimonGray is the owner of ATS and he is from England does that mean UK laws? Does EU laws play a role?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

I'm guessing US laws. The servers are in the States. A website is usually bound by the laws the servers are located in.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

I'd say that Beachcoma is probobly right. A different answer may be that your not allowed to post anything thats illegal where you live or where your posting from.

Either way, I think most members know what they should and shouldn't be posting on this board. And seeing that you've been here over a year, I think you should know by now what you can and cannot post.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The 3 amigos made the law of ATS. I believe they follow US law.

Terms And Conditions Of Use

The only law I follow here.
Cuhail

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The rules are also there to enable maximisation by search engines, hence the no profanity, no illegal activity etc, as the results would be blocked by some filters if discussions of that nature was allowed.

Probably explained it badly, but I think I got the bare bones right.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCP
Whose laws?

The rule is fairly specific...

No Discussion of:

1) mind-altering drugs (including marijuana )

2) computer hacking

3) criminal hate

4) sexual relations with minors

5) stock scams

Anything else use your best judgment or send a note to staff through the complaints function asking for guidance regarding the questionable topic.

Generally speaking though US law is probably a good guideline.

[edit on 11/14/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Generally speaking though US law is probably a good guideline.

"If one stops short of urging upon others that it is their duty or their interest to resist the law, it seems to me one should not be held to have attempted to cause its violation." -Judge Learned Hand

Thats the law of the land in the US of A.

Certainly not grey space... but very, very finely ground, fractaline, black and white space.

You can admire someone who smokes pot.

---------------------line-----------------------------------------------

But you cannot urge them to smoke a bowl with you.

ATS goes further and adds the additional line:

You can discuss the effect a drug has on society.

-----------------line----------------------------

But you cannot discuss the effect that the drugs have on you.

Sri Oracle

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'll say it before the mods do

ATS is a PRIVATE forum. What that means is that when you sign up to post here you agree to the TERMS AND CONDITIONS of membership.

Those Terms and Conditions of membership are, by ATS standards, THE LAW.

It doesn't matter who writes those terms and conditions, or what country they come from, or their inside leg size, number of pimples on their ass etc, because the overriding factor in actual civil and criminal law in the USA, UK and most other civilised countries is that if you signify the acceptance of terms and conditions of a PRIVATE INSTITUTION, you are bound by those conditions first and foremost and the court will ask you why - if you agreed to them - you feel the need to take an issue to court when, simply, it was your choice to act in the manner that you did in order to be rebuked by the forum staff.

DCP

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
thanks neformore your answer i believe was the best. i asked this question because it is not listed anywhere that i could find.

new topics

top topics

join