It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Illness Makes Roots Sprout On Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

An Indonesian fisherman who feared that he would be killed by tree-like growths covering his body has been given hope of recovery by an American doctor - and Vitamin A.

Link

Totally baffling medical mystery. I hope they find a cure for this man.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Not even one comment?

JbT

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I was just emailed this. Was going to post it but you beat me to it!

This is so crazy. People, have a look for yourself at that link he posted.

Feel so sorry for the poor fellow. Im not sure how anyone can live with a condition like that. I myself am itching myself constantly just looking at the pictures, I dont think I could handle it myself.

They say he got a cut, then the infection (HPV) used his cells to mutate due to his compromised immune system defect. What are supposed to be warts are now root like structures.

The link says it will be on Discovery Channel on Nov. 15th @ 9pm
www.discoverychannel.co.uk...

[edit on 14-11-2007 by JbT]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
so one guy has roots growing, another lady has bugs coming out of her skin, other people have fibers coming out theirs (morgellons).

is this the next step in our evolution? Are we already just hosts to the dominant parasites or dare I say it.....alien species!!!!

this is all so crazy, I do feel sorry for this guy and also for the lady with the bugs.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It is most certainly not a mystery illness. The man has the common Human Papilloma Virus (which up to 90% of the US population is infected with, BTW), otherwise known as warts. In most cases the host's (aka, the person) immune system keeps the virus in check, limiting it to minor or occasional outbreaks, sometimes never. Once an outbreak of warts occurs, again, the immune system generally combats the virus and growth of the wart is stopped or severely retarded.

This particular man has a genetically inherited immune deficiency, a one in a million thing, that renders his immune system incapable of combating the progression of the virus. This, coupled with the fact that he is exceedingly poor and lives in a remote, rural area with very poor medical services, led to him spending a ridiculous 20 years with no treatment, leaving the warts to grow to insane sizes.

Since he has finally been diagnosed, he will begin receiving very strong Vitamin A shot, among a few other things that will boost his system to combat the viruses and should stop the growth and in some cases, make some of the warts go away. The larger ones (like his hands) will take several surgeries where the wart growths will be frozen and cut off. It won't be a fun process, but he'll use his hands again some day.

What I find interesting, is that given his condition and immune system, the man has led an otherwise healthy life and his children seem completely unaffected.

[edit on 14-11-2007 by davebgimp]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
is this the next step in our evolution? Are we already just hosts to the dominant parasites or dare I say it.....alien species!!!!

This has nothing to do with evolution. Its just a coincidence of a specific virus and mutation in his immune system. Just because it *looks* different than what we are used to due to the coincidence, it doesnt mean that it doesnt happens on daily basis everywhere on a smaller scale.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This is extremely fascinating! I've never heard of warts that drastic taking the shape of roots. And for it to get that out of hand is absolutely mind-boggling. I'm just glad he's getting treatment for it now.

I admire this man so much for being able to smile and look at the bright side of things even in the face of such a horrible succession of problems. It's amazing that he is so willing to be filmed and talk about his illness instead of hiding from the public. And it's also admirable that his children will stay by his side even though his wife left him.

I feel bad for him, but I'm also very happy that he's getting the treatment now.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Worldwatchers post reminded me of something.

This thread... Magellons condition

What this fisherman has looks like an extremely advanced case of Magellons condition, (Indicated by the growths on his arms). The "roots" coming out of his hands look like elongated growths that the man in the aforementioned thread have.

top topics

join