It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we really go looking??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Let me first start by saying that I do beleve that ET is out there.

Here is the concern that I have with finding an advanced alien civilization. Now keep in mind that I only have the history of mankind to go off of here and I do relalize that this is in no way the "norm" for the universe, but its the "norm" for use. If you take a look in history. Almost every time, like about 98% of the time, a more advanced culture (ie: anceint rome, greece and egypt etc.) have meet a less advanced culture, it dosent end well. Either the less advanced culture is whiped-out or turned into slaves. Keep in mind that we did this to our own speceis. Now a more advanced alien culture might have moved past the need for violence, but the most intellegent creature on earth still reacts violently to things it dosent know or understand. So how do you think a speceis that we no nothing about and have no way do defend or sleves from would react to us? Is my concern well founded or not? I would like to know.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Jackal94

To those who believe or somehow 'know' they are already here, the question is moot, but let's just answer your question at face value. We're not really looking; we're listening, which is a passive activity in terms of announcing our presence. However, our broadcasts throughout the known spectrum are already out there and may have given us away. It's not like we can retract them. In other words, it's too late.

[edit on 11/14/2007 by schuyler]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That is true. But I still think I have a valid point when it comes to the advanced culture meeting a less advanced culture.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Jackal94
That is true. But I still think I have a valid point when it comes to the advanced culture meeting a less advanced culture.

I never challenged that, Jackal. I see that as almost always true myself. I just think it's way too late to suggest we have a choice.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Jackal94

Considering that culture clashes occur as a result of one culture seeking more resources, it's not very likely that aliens will need more resources if they are able to visit other star systems.

The only thing that visiting aliens will probably want is knowledge, and there is no reason to go to war over that. Their technology would likely be so advanced that it negates the need to pillage other star systems.

top topics

join