It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haynes Slipstream Gyro Saucer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
FLIGHT SEQUENCE
The Haynes Slipstream Gyro Saucer (HSGS)-711 is an "A" symmetrical, 1/2 rotating, lifting body, circular airframe design which utilizes the SSTO, VTOL, high beta reentry flight profile. This flying saucer-shaped spacecraft is designed to take off horizontally (or vertically) and climb straight up into the atmosphere to around 10,000 feet (MSL), using normally-aspirated breathing, low horizontal speed, ramjet techniques.

Two to three miles into the earth's atmosphere the saucer begins to supercharge its two Hybrid ramjet engines to help it climb further (vertically) into the stratosphere. Flight from the stratosphere to the exosphere is accomplished through the spaceship's oxidizer feed system. Once in the exosphere it has the option to reduce thrust and float back into a reentry (low beat) profile for the return trip back to earth, or simply accelerate to earth escape velocity, for orbital space flight establishment.

In the suborbital flight profile, when the spaceship fully enters the earth's atmosphere its hybrid ramjets revert to normal atmospheric air-breathing operation. From here the flying saucer will continue its vertical descent toward a runway hover approach. Finally, the HSGS will go on to make an airport terminal area (vertical) landing. The entire sub-orbital flight takes less then 80 minutes to complete, with a weightless hang time of around 20 minutes. After its initial space flight, the flying saucer is then inspected, refueled and prepared for flight again within a normal airliner turnaround time frame.

source.
www.xprize.org...

jra

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ok... a lot of interesting ideas. There are many X-Prize teams with neat ideas, but with nothing more than that. Looking at the link and seeing the pics of their.... "Craft", it looks like a joke. I don't know how that thing got into the X-Prize... They don't just let anyone in. That thing looks like it would fall apart if you leaned on it.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
My thoughts exactly...that thing probably wont survive reentry to the garage.

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I'd have to agree there - it looks like a box with a couple of pieces of carboard attached onto it - which it probably is. Good ideas on the taking off and everything, though. I wonder if they can land it without it collapsing into a load of pieces.

new topics

top topics

join