It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissidents: We will shoot more police

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Dissidents: We will shoot more police

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Dissident republicans last night threatened new attacks on Northern Ireland police officers.

The previously unknown Irish Republican Liberation Army claimed last night that it shot an officer who was ambushed in Dungannon, Co Tyrone.

A statement by the IRLA said: "There is now a central command within our organisation. More shootings will follow. We again reiterate our threat to Sinn Feiners in north Belfast. We again demand they resign from local DPPs' boards."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Explosion at Poppy Day ceremony

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is quite worrying.

Elements of Northern Ireland wish to see a return to the conflict of the past. With the Real IRA upping its attacks and now the IRLA, I fear we could see a return to Irish republican terrorism in the United Kingdom.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Being Irish myself, I have never quite understood this whole IRA- England thing. I know that, yet once again,
the conflict is centered around religion... The IRA members are generally Catholic and England is largely Protestant, but you would think that the last century of quarreling would have been enough. The IRAs tactics are not going to accomplish anything.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There is abit of conflict,
the Real IRA is also claiming this attack, but the IRLA might be a cover name for them (UDA use UFF for any act of violence/terrorism)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
The IRAs tactics are not going to accomplish anything.

I'm Irish too

Their tactics will just result in the loyalists doing the same thing. We will end up seeing eye-for-eye attacks and return to the old days

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I honestly wanted to believe that the agreement that the IRA and England made in the 90s would last. I guess not.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The only real question is what intel agencies are behind all this? It is a fact that in the world of international terrosism, the real players are makred and watched and listeted to 24/7, and used for the intel guys purposes, to suit their political bosses. Ireland has been pretty calm for a long time now, and the powers that be may want to stir up the pot a bit and keep the locals on edge and gearing more violence and depending on more and more draconian laws to ' protect us ' from the ' terrorists '.

After the 7/7 bombing that was a set up, obviosly, I trust NO intel agencies at all.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I honestly wanted to believe that the agreement that the IRA and England made in the 90s would last. I guess not.

Well, in theory, it is lasting. The Provisional IRA has given up arms, but the dissidents (RIRA, CIRA, IRLA) haven't.

(Mainstream republicans now support the police in Northern Ireland)

The problem is with the dissidents who want to achieve a United Ireland via terrorism.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hmmm... Well, like I said, I really don't know a lot about the conflict. I know that it has always been centered around religion and what faith is supposed to be practiced where. Like a lot of our problems in the world, this problem has the recurring theme of religion around it. I am not anti-religion, but I don't hide from the fact that it not only causes us problems, but is currently throwing us ino a world war under the guise of "The War on Terrorism."

[edit on 14-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
For those who are unaware (or do not know) of the Real IRA, here is the wiki page;

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I thought the troubles were all down to England cutting Ireland in half and taking half of there country.

The people's anger and fight in the past was justified really in my opinion.

If a foreign country cut England in half I wouldn't be to happy either, would you?

[edit on 14uWednesday07/27/20 by paul76]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I have to disagree with you there speaker - the conflict has centred around the illegal british occupation of Ireland for the last few hundred years.

The "religious" aspect came about when part of occupied Ireland gained independance - what is now southern Ireland, or the republic of Ireland - the british government imported hundreds of thousands of scottish protestants into northern ireland so they would never lose an election, as the 2 groups protestant and catholic would be on opposite sides. So as long as the protestant imported scots always outnumbered the indigenous people (who were mostly catholic) the people of occupied northern Ireland could never win independance and be reunited with the south.
This was done for purely economic reasons as at that time, belfast in particular had heavy industry and shipping in particular that was essential to the british war machine.

I haven't heard about this splinter group before, but I doubt they'll last too long - the provo's have their own way of dealing with these things outside the normal rules of engagement, and to threaten sinn fein is frankly a bit silly.
The provisional IRA still has huge power on both sides of the border, still exists, and hasn't totally disarmed, although the major caches of heavier weapons have allegedly been de-commissioned.

I can't remember the name of the loyalist group in the news recently who released a press statement declaring that they too would de-commission weapons.

Personally, I think this group will fizzle out, just as the real IRA has - of course they still exist, but their activities have been seriously curtailed by the provo's, who are the real power in the north AND south as far as paramilitary organisations go, and what they say will happen, generally happens.
You'll probably see a spate of mysterious murders blamed on drug wars or something similar over the next few months to a year.

A couple of sites for a more complete picture, one from sinn fein - factually honest with biased commentary
www.geocities.com...
Not a great link but good enough for an overview.

www.sinnfein.ie...

[edit on 14/11/2007 by budski]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hmmm... Well, like I said, I really don't know a lot about the conflict. I know that it has always been centered around religion and what faith is supposed to be practiced where. Like a lot of our problems in the world, this problem has the recurring theme of religion around it. I am not anti-religion, but I don't hide from the fact that it not only causes us problems, but is currently throwing us ino a world war under the guise of "The War on Terrorism."

[edit on 14-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

I think the real fight is an ethnicity/cultural one, and not primarily religious. But when you have an enemy, you try to count all the ways he is different from you. His different religion is a handy tag for telling your less committed members that the enemy is a no-good heap, and deserves to lose, die, and go to hell.

The people shooting and bombing are not talking about transubstantiation or the modalist heresy of protestent theology. They are talking about voting districts and the right to have parades march through enemy neighborhoods, and whether the british have a legitimate claim to any of the island and if so, how much.

The way your neighbor prays (or the way his parents used to) is just a convenient shorthand for why he's unnacceptable, how he's different, and why he doesn't really belong here.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
The people's anger and fight in the past was justified really in my opinion.

Not really,
most in Northern Ireland did not support the actions of the IRA.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This will be a very small minority of people who resent the stability and peace that has resulted from the recent peace treaties.
These people resent the lack of control they now have and seem determined to return to the times of killing people to further their own private agendas.
They use and twist historical events and facts to suit and justify their actions.
The majority of Northern Irish people wish to remain in the British Union, as long as this is the case these terrorists will not be allowed to bully and terrorise people into accepting something the majority do not wish.

The vast majority of ALL Irish people, North and South, despise these terrorists.
We can not allow these murdering terrorists to undo all that has been achieved in Ireland in recent years.

A group of Irishmen expressing their opinion on the terrorists, (please take the time to watch it all and listen to one of Bono's better observations!)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
The vast majority of ALL Irish people, North and South, despise these terrorists.
We can not allow these murdering terrorists to undo all that has been achieved in Ireland in recent years.

It's worrying how silent the government has been over this, Tony Blair would of said something by now...

Gordon seems not to care.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Is this another case of Brown dithering as he is not quite sure what his policies are yet.
It is also noticeable that the media have not been all over this.

Is this because Brown has instructed the media to keep it low key so as not to alarm people and to starve the terrorists of the propoganda and attention they so desperately want?

We need to make a clear statement that terrorism will not be allowed and that the peace process will not be derailed.

I am absolutely certain that this will just be a very small minority, no more than a small handful of individuals, and that the British Securty Forces and Intelligence Agencies will be able to root them out pretty sharpish, if allowed to do their job correctly without inteference.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I am absolutely certain that this will just be a very small minority, no more than a small handful of individuals, and that the British Securty Forces and Intelligence Agencies will be able to root them out pretty sharpish, if allowed to do their job correctly without inteference.

It's interesting to note that dissidents have started a new campaign when the army left Northern Ireland. Makes you think, are they trying to get them back? if they did, mainstream republicans wouldn't be best placed.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

It's worrying how silent the government has been over this, Tony Blair would of said something by now...

Gordon seems not to care.

Well, they are probably trying to marginalize the whole thing. I mean, too much attention to groups such as this, or any other radicalized organization, only gives them more leverage.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yes that could escalate things a bit.
More the reason to deal with this immediately; Brown cannot afford to dither.
Further acts will only increase Loyalist resentment and I am certain that there is an extremist element within their ranks who will also exploit this or any other terrorist acts for their own personal reasons.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join