It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Military Deaths During Peace Time??

page: 1

join
share:
DCP

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
More active duty soldiers died during the peace years of 1981-1982 then in 2005-2006. That is how well America is doing in Iraq.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

IMO, all it means is that medical treatment and technology has improved alot since then. Which saves alot of troops on the battlefield, that otherwise would've died in the same circumstances in '81-82.

It's not that we're doing "well" in Iraq. I've been over here since 2004, it's a damn meat grinder. Improved medical treatment and technology may save them physically. But treatment for the the mental injuries still have a ways to go. Catastrophic Brain Injury (CBI), essentially massive brain concussions from IED explosions and PTSD will be killing vets long after this war is over.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

When I was in Iraq, my Platoon Sergeant would always say that if the Iraqis would just leave us alone, we would probably do a better job of killing each other. He said it in a jokingly way, but there was a little truth in it. We had one fatality in my unit while I was over there, and it was from friendly fire.

Accidents can happen quite a bit, depending on the unit. Also, if the unit is not in a combat zone, driving (drunk, reckless, etc.) is probably one of the biggest killers.

DCP

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thank you both for your service

new topics

top topics

join