It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Y. Gov. Abandons Illegal Immigrant License Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

N.Y. Gov. Abandons Illegal Immigrant License Plan

cbs2chicago.com

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer said Wednesday he was abandoning a plan to issue driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, but said that the federal government had "lost control" of its borders and left states to deal with the consequences.

"I have concluded that New York state cannot successfully address this problem on its own," Spitzer said at a news conference after meeting wtih members of the state's Congressional delegation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.usatoday.com
www.thenation.com
ap.google.com

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I am surprised it took this long for the NY Governor to drop this plan.

Do you think Hillary had something to do with this since she was getting so much flack for dodging the issue on a recent debate.

I have also heard rumors that the plan was an attempt to increase voter output when a motor voter deal happens, no voter reg cards, just use licenses to be able to vote. Could this have been the reason this was trying to be forced on the state?

I don't know, some of the stuff you see on TV these days is so ridiculous, because I also saw that there was going to be 3 different types of NY drivers licenses to differentiate citizens, legal, and illegal immigrants.

Hah! The government cannot even properly screen FBI/CIA agents to prevent an illegal from getting hired and having access to secret data, how would you expect NY to be able to competently handle a 3-tier licensing system?

I can't see it.

cbs2chicago.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ed:add comment

[edit on 11/14/2007 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
ahg too bad man, my mother was going to get her license there.

always crushing the immigrants dream.

and i think it was the current administration that told new york not to do it.

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Drzava]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
i think his 3 tier 'licence'/Document was a good idea,
so too did the administration...

Gov. Spitzer's plan is still valid....he just abandoned the push for
the 3 tiered ID because self-interest groups wanted to fight the idea
and the Gov. said heck with marshalling all the legal resources/lawyers
and the money required to fight for the I.D. proposal..

he wants to focus on the hundred other things that need to be done
instead of wasting time, effort, money, political capital on this single issue.

maybe he's just passing the batton to the Feds and the Dept of Homeland Security...who will make the NY license/ID the model for the rest of the states (excepting AZ, which has some type of secure license/ID at hand)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Spitzer is caving in to pressure from the Clintons. Hillary took a real shellacking when she tried to double-speak her way out of support for the issue last week. And since there is another Democrat candidate's debate coming up, she had to make this a non-issue, because the other candidates were going to come gunning for her.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drzava

Well I'm glad she won't. Heck she can go back and get the license in the country she came from, what's the big deal.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

NYer here. Hated the idea from the get go, along with 77% of the state. Glad to see its gone. Now if we can only get rid of Spitzer I can claim an early Christmas present for myself.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I bet that news made Lou Dobbs smile lol, but I am also glad to see the plan killed. He must be a very arogant person to think he could go against a 75+% majority anyway and I dont think he will last long with his job because of this.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drzava

Can't she still get one in her home country?

always crushing the immigrants dream.

I think you forgot the word "illegal" right before "immigrants". As such, they have no rights to the same things we citizens do. After all, their first act in this country was to break the law. We don't allow bank robbers to get off when they tell us they did it because they needed the money. So, illegals don't get a pass for breaking our laws just because they needed a job or a new life. Such a simple concept.

and i think it was the current administration that told new york not to do it.

Guess you don't read the news much. In spite of poll after poll showing that Americans are totally against this kind of thing, Bush seems to support amnesty, etc. for illegals.

[edit on 11/14/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
immigrants bypass the legal residency programs they should not have licenses and be deported.

Your prob Anti american hispanic and are for the san diego plan am i right. racist.

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Bushwacked]

top topics

join