It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Chicago transplant recipients contract HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Four Chicago transplant recipients contract HIV

www.reuters.com

CHICAGO, Nov 13 (Reuters) - Four transplant recipients at three Chicago hospitals have contracted HIV and hepatitis C from a single organ donor, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.

The cases mark the first incidence of HIV infection contracted from organ donation in more than 20 years, according to Dr. Matthew Kuehnert, who oversees organ safety at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.medicalnewstoday.com
www.nytimes.com

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This is disturbing, all the procedures were followed correctly but the tests returned a false negative.

But the organ donor was considered high-risk,

Dave Bosch of the Gift of Hope Organ and Tissue Donation, the regional organ procurement agency that handled the donor organs, said the donor's high-risk status was confirmed on a questionnaire. "We were aware of that from the beginning," he said.

I guess it is a very tough decision to even consider high risk donors, with the long lines of people waiting for transplants they have to include ones considered high risk.

I don't envy the people having to make these decisions, even taking all precautions, there is always a chance something like this could happen.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ed:sp

[edit on 11/14/2007 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
i just saw this on cnn.
they had gupta up there explaing it and the way i understood it, they tested this guys blood for hep-c and hiv antibodies and they came up negative.....then, what i don't get is he said these tests are accurate but you 'only have a small window'

he then said when it was found out the people with the organs found out they were positive, they went back and tested the donors blood with a different kind of test(forget the kind.....) and it came back positice.

maybe they should to THAT test before they hand out the organs....

this is pretty bad...any disease you know....you have to recover from friggin liver transplant or something and now you're trying to recover from that with a weak system and no you have hiv and/or hep-c flowing through you...

bad bad bad situation

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I think they meant that the test they gave the donor ws good for a certain amount of time, I think they were saying on TV that it would take a couple of weeks for the antibodies to build up to create the positive test.

Maybe this donor contracted the virus very close to the time his/her organs were used in the transplants.

That probably sounded confusing, I confused myself.

Either way it is hard to blame anyone in this situation, hopefully the doctor's can contain the viruses in the organ recipients.

I don't think anyone had ill intentions in this case.

new topics

top topics

join