It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bush Sign Has Bridge World in an Uproar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Anti-Bush Sign Has Bridge World in an Uproar

www.nytimes.com

At issue is a crudely lettered sign, scribbled on the back of a menu, that was held up at an awards dinner and read, “We did not vote for Bush.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
To show dissent with the present administration in an international setting such as this is a true test of the freedoms Americans have.

As a Canadian [imo] They have every right to do so without punishment[/imo], but;

This isn’t a free-speech issue,” said Jan Martel, president of the United States Bridge Federation, the nonprofit group that selects teams for international tournaments. “There isn’t any question that private organizations can control the speech of people who represent them.”

What's your take?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
My take on it is rather simple -- mountain, molehill.
Is there any rule where you can't express your political leaning in these competitions?

apc

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I don't think it's possible to make a rule against being a complete retard.

Why do all these stupid harlots always feel the need to make political statements at completely non-political events? Wait... I think I just answered my own question.

They should be allowed to say what they want. However, I have to wonder what would happen if they held up another completely inappropriate and moronic sign... "Sex with children is natural" or "God sent the IEDs."

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It would probably get the same reaction as someone holding up a sign reading "stupid harlot".

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
apc i dont think what the ladies wrote can be compaired with something as crass as "sex with...' they were not promoting such garbage, all they did was point out their political standpoint.....and why not???
m xx

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
in the linked report, it tell us that in San Fancisco later in the month
the Federations committee will mull over the incident,
and might deem the 'act' to be 'conduct that is un-becoming a member'
and expell them or just the member displaying the impromptu sign.

that should solve it...
a member does have the ability to express their 'free speech'
but the Bridge Federation can expell members for harming the Federations image............. which is similar to the rules of the Miss America Pagent

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Championing The Absurd Non Sequitur

I don't see this as a "freedom of speech" issue, but rather a matter of taste.

While I'm not much of a bridge fancier, I really don't see what a bridge tournament has to do with politics, nor why anyone should care what a bridge player thinks about President Bush.

Certainly, I don't feel represented by someone whose sense of propriety is so obviously deranged.

Worth perhaps a shrug and nothing more.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Just an attention seeker, nothing more the way I see it. Anyone runs around doing crap like this just wants to get noticed. I bet being in the news for it has really made her day, too. Maybe her parents didn't pay enough attention to her as a child.

top topics

join