It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demons and pea soup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
OK, forgive the title of this topic...had to be clever

Being born and raised Baptist, I may not have a clear understanding of this topic but I must ask: why do demons only appear to the Catholic religion? My girlfriend is Methodist and her church rarely touches the subject. My close friend is Mormon and they rarely touch upon the subject of demons/demon possession. So I ask, do demons belong solely to Catholicism? I know of no other denomination under the "title" of Christianity that deals with demon/demonism so thoroughly besides the Catholics. Is it a "tool" used to envoke fear? From my own understanding there are only a few demons as compared to angels in this world, so I ask, do they really have that much "power" over believers of the Christian faith?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I was born a catholic, I don't really remember too much interest in demons. When i got around protestant churchs I hear more of demons, and exocisms aand stuff.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It's not a Catholic-only belief, but it's also not one that is typically spoken of in the modern church. The actual existence of demons and casting them out Christ talks about extensively through the gospels, stating that Christians will be doing this.

There are 32 mentions of demons in the Gospel accounts, which is a significant number. Just to throw out some of the areas this comes up:

Luke 9:1

When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,

Right here, Christ gave His disciples power over demons. This means He recognized they existed, and that He commissioned exorcisms to take place. Was it just the 12 disciples given this power, though? Not according to Luke 10:17:

The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."

Thus, even the 72 Christ commissioned had the same authority. Yet even beyond that, there is mention in Luke 9:49 that someone who wasn't traveling with Christ, yet recognized who he was, was exercising the same authority:

"Master," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us."

Christ's response to John was,

"Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you."

Finally, Mark 16:17a really lays out where we are to be today:

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons;

It is clear in scripture that demons not only exist, but are to be cast out. However, in modern society, such an idea is considered absurd. As a result, many churches shy away from this subject because they believe it may turn people away. Catholics are included in this group, but they also have explicit procedures for exorcisms which make good movies. Sadly, it has been Hollywood that has made this popular knowledge regarding Catholics, not really the Catholics themselves.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
(This thread almost sounds like I'm criticizing Catholics/Catholicism which I don't mean to do). I do believe that demons exist but it appears they really don't have that much "power". I don't know of anyone that has ever seen or come across a demonic entity myself. Anyone here come across such a thing?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
There's a thread dedicated to that right here.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
False,i learned about demons when i was in the Full Gospel Church Of God,they do spiritual warfare on a daily basis.They study demonology and give classes on demons,as their names and powers.As we know know who you are dealing with,know the enemy.The pastor and his help would visit anyone claiming to have such issues without turning them away to get to bottom of things,where the Catholic Priests usually have to wait for approval from "men" in higher ranking.

Though i ain't a member of the Full Gospel Church anymore i will not run this certain church and the way they tackle things down.

The Restored Church of God also takes demons extremely serious and is all aware of their activity as the Bible tells us,so any church that denies demons are not worthy..straight up.

The Lord's Prayer tells us "Do Not Lead Us Into Temptation ,But Deliver Us From The Evil One" ..yes the evil one are those of a "spiritual kind",not just evil men.

Eph 6 tells us to take up The Armour Of God to withstand all the attacks from the unseen and evil..namely demons,so in all honesty if you have not seen any church except for the Catholics who do admit to demons you must find a different church if you are not Catholic.There will be those who deny the unseen world of demons but it's sad that they call themselves Christians,yet another reason for non believers to fall further away from God.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thank you guys for posting. Currently I consider myself to be nondenominational. I absolutely LOVE Jay Bakker's sermons (www.revolutionnyc.com...). Forgive me...being new, I've yet to learn how to post links. But with time I'll be a pro like all of you
The Bible contains several examples/stories/mentionings of demons but I wonder, do those pertain only to the people of that time? Since Christ, the incarnate God of all Creation was at one time, walking amongst us, do you think that the devil and all his lil' buddies could also take part? That now, being that Christ is no longer here, they too no longer play such an active role in our day to day lives? Horrible things happen every day and sadly, we as a society tend to "peek" at it all. We give notice to riots, murders, rapes...etc. and almost always look past the good that people do. Personally, I think this is because of our own human (more like animal
) behavior. So, after my long winded response, I think demons just don't have the strength they use to. Sure they may all be around us, but maybe they tend to focus on larger scaled issues?

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Eighty59

Hi again,

Imo ..They are everywhere,possessions on individuals is proof,though possession is written off as neurological disorders or others too often,to quick.If all changed after Jesus there would not have been word how to prepare ourselves for battle,everyday it says we must,thus telling us that we are under attack non stop,though we are not even aware.Our slightest doubts,or so any sin is thanks to temptation,and we know they are masters of that.

I am sure while Jesus was here he sorted some of them out,well we know of those who fled just by hearing His name,the ones who went into the pigs ,now the "pig" factor tells us that they will do anything for a "host" so we can't write them off or possession.

Few things we need to look at that we learned via The Book,Lucifer was "in charge" of millions of angels,those who fell with him so they are everywhere to this day and so will be until satan gets his "payback".

What is also mentioned in The Bible though and where not all Christian scholars agree on are The angels from Genesis (Nephillim) who chose women over The Kingdom.Some scholars say these were not angels,others do but they also fell,though they became as man/flesh there are some theories that some of them are of demonic kind.The children their "wives" bore,the giants,they were extremely cruel,reason as to why God wiped out that part of the world.In other scriptures these giants became "demons" as well.

There are Word from God telling us not to make up things where there is nothing,as what we believe can happen,so clear our minds from such things as possession,hauntings or believing our house is full of evil.Some people have more talents,those who have more talents have a harder job ,but God would not give you all that if He does not have your back.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It's definitely not just Catholics who believe in demons--most Protestant churches do too, esp. the more evangelical, fundamentalist ones. I would say especially the Full Gospel ones--they never have a meeting without "casting out spirits", it's like some kind of weekly ritual! From my experience the Charismatics and people with beliefs similar to theirs seem really obsessed with evil spirits, I think to their detriment.

We're supposed to be focusing on God, not the devil!

P.S. Jesus didn't say "deliver us from the Evil One", He said, "Deliver us from evil."

Not exactly the same meaning there!

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Well, a "demon" in biblical terms is a disease.

If you read the OT and NT, it comes across that being holy is simply being clean. The rituals the priests are ascribed are rituals of cleanliness. The Ark is placed in the most holy of holies...as in, the cleanest of clean places.

"I am Legion, for we are many" is the PERFECT way of describing a bacterial infection. Millions of little organisms working together to make you ill. It's incredibly insightful, IMO.

Driving out of demons is simply... I need a trumpet lead-up here... curing disease! We call that 'medicine'! I imagine it just appeared so

Simple as, in my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Oh sorry, I meant to add that no, I've never seen a "demonic entity" and I don't especially want to.

Ghosts now--they're cool!

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Good point, CC Benjamin!

People used to think for example that anyone with epilepsy was possessed--we know now that it's a neurological disease which can be treated with the proper meds and lifestyle.

And lepers used to be outcasts because it was such a dreaded disease. It too can be treated now with meds and it too is a disease, not a "curse" on someone.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

That's a VERY interesting way of looking at demons. I would never have thought to look at'em in that light...good call!! BUT diseases don't have a "voice". If a demonic entity can reply to someone by giving their name, wouldn't that make it bigger than an infection?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Eighty59

the demons are the fallen angels that followed one of the 3 archangels when he rebelled against His makers and convinced 1/3 of the "regular"angels to follow him.the other angels stayed with their archangels gabriel and michael.after a star wars battle in space (the damage you can see in the telescopes)which the fallen angels and their leader whose name was changed to satan/the serpent lost-----they were cast down from the heaven area of the G-D beings residence to the area of this earth-----confined as in an invisible spiritual prison.if a person has the spirit of "trying to be good"they have nothing to fear from these fallen ones but if they give themselves over to hatred and law breaking as a way of life ---they are allowing these beings to gain a foothold into their minds and can become demon possessed if they persist in lawless acts.all of us are supposed to resist the temptation to sin so this doesnt happen to us.genesis 4:6-7.satan broadcasts temptations continuously to us tempting us to sin and become like him and his angels so as to destroy us and prevent us from reaching the goal G-D has in mind for us to become part of the G-D family and live forever and be given more power than satan who covets the power of G-D.the subject of demons is not the private property of the catholic church which fell away from the apostolic church in approximately 110ce when they rejected G-Ds sabbath day and the passover and instead took upon themselves the "marks" of sunday and easter------the catholic church thus cut itself off from G-D by this action back then------no longer being the apostolic church of G-D then and still not today------in fact prophecy indicates they will start up the inquisition again and judging by the speed at which the nwo/babylon the great is growing------it wont be much longer before they will be trying to force all of us to accept their "mark"

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Sorry but the Bible is right, the effects on society show this on the behaviour of man in the modern world and eventually all this will climax to a high point od destruction. They are around and you just have to see the people on TV that show signs of demonic nature inside them in a big way let alone what you can not replay in the real world.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

Sorry, C.C. The idea that demons=bacteria/viruses is clever but completely unacceptable from a Biblical standpoint.
A reading of the various “healings” performed by Jesus shows that he prescribed different methods and diagnosis for various ailments. That is, he clearly differentiated between those that were ill, e.g. lame, blind, lepers, from those that were demon possessed. The symptoms described of demon afflicted persons were more of a psychological nature than physical in pathology.
As an affirmation, an interesting passage can be found in Mark 9; 29 where Jesus tells the Disciples that they failed to cast out a demon because of incorrect application of therapeutic methods. This leads to the logical conclusion that Jesus himself recognized demons as distinct and separate from other physical afflictions and required an appropriate adjustment of treatment.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by abovereproach
We're supposed to be focusing on God, not the devil!

P.S. Jesus didn't say "deliver us from the Evil One", He said, "Deliver us from evil."

True we have to focus on God,no no doubt ,but Jesus Himself was under attack while praying to The Almighty. When God loses a "sheep" He searches for it,like a lost child? So if satan loses a child to God will he not go after that person as well? The Word (and in meditation) we know that the main thing is Glory To God ,but God tells us in His prayer to ask Him for protection from evil ,be it demon and flesh as a believer you can be under attack at any time. Thus we have to ask Him on a daily basis for protection.Eph among loads of other books states clear warnings against attacks from demon and as man how careful we should be and to overcome it.

Evil One ,i have had my bashing on this numerous times, but i quoted it as written in my Bible. I became a Christian in early 90's and spend quite a bit on a study bible (KJV) that time so when told to pray the prayer i relied on my Bible.Back in early 90's we had no internet and relied on teachings of men and the Bible you bought to gain knowledge,yes i have seen the different versions on it since,but when you pray a prayer for years you will quote that which you "grew" up with.

But totally get that it is 2 different things ,proof yet again how God's Word can be changed with one simple word by flesh.

Quick examples..

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.'
King James Bible
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Bible in Basic English
And let us not be put to the test, but keep us safe from the Evil One.

At C.C ,i gotta agree with passenger but then i am seeing it from my POV,nonetheless your theory could and probably will make sense to a few people.

As mentioned i would bring that up again as this is exactly how i have been taught,when under attack you can command that demon with authority from God to answer you in question ,his name and reason for attack/possession.Then on certain "diseases" i have learned that it can very well be brought on by a demon,no matter if that is a stomach bug to a dire life threatening disease/illness,even mental issues as known.

Though this has also been thrown out by science on so many diseases have nothing to do with demons. I do agree that not all is demon and pure "bacteria" ,but when you deal with these things ,some are way just out there.

top topics

join