It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 Year Old Black Man Shot Dead by the NYPD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
"A young man was fatally shot last night in a hail of 20 bullets fired by five police officers who responded to his mother’s 911 call for help in a domestic dispute in Brooklyn, the authorities said."

www.nytimes.com...

Another young black male killed, what is with excessive force?
Isn't there a certain type of protocol for people who may be mentally
handicapped?

This report brought this incident to mind :
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 13-11-2007 by pmexplorer]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
From what I heard on the radio, It was night time, he had a black object in his hands, Oh and not that this matters, but he was yelling "I GOT A GUN!" Police shouldnt have to wait until they hear a Bang! to respond, nor are they gonna stand there and wait to see if hes kidding, there gonna take his word for it.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Fair comment tac.

But 20 shots! I mean these guys are trained to use their firearms effectively not excessively. One guy had to be told to stop.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pmexplorer
Fair comment tac.

But 20 shots! I mean these guys are trained to use their firearms effectively not excessively. One guy had to be told to stop.

Not when your life is on the line. Great shooting calmly at targets at the range that may not shoot back. Its the adrenaline.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Another overkill that will prompt more outrage on the black community already been targeted by this type of incidents.

I already can see the rallies been in the planning by black leaders.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Just a nitpick: The term for "fatally wound" is "killed". As in: The youth was killed in an incident involving barrels that project led.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I really dont think the police were thinking "lets kill a black person today" as it will be spun into a racial issue. Most police officers will go their intire career without shooting there guns, maybe (and im speculating) this was there first time, you can imagine a million times what it will be like to shoot a gun in self defense, but no training will prepare you.I bet you that after they stopped shooting their hands were shaking, and they were in a daze, and I really doubt that they knew it was a comb and decided too shoot anywase, If you think somebody has a gun, your mind will see a gun

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
Just a nitpick: The term for "fatally wound" is "killed". As in: The youth was killed in an incident involving barrels that project led.

i assume you mean 'lead' as in bullet here and not 'led' as in guided (or light emitting diode). not that i'm being nit-picky or anything

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

I'm not denying he did or didn't say that, but a video to corroborate the police side of the story would put to rest any suspicion of their being any doubt people may have about the use of force. As we've seen in the past, there's been a lot of "Stop resisting" with no resistance. I work with an ex-sheriff and there's certain protocol that you go through, like if you have to use any amount of force you should say "stop resisting" loud enough for others who may be witnesses to vouch that in someway the perpetrator was obviously resisting. We all know that to use deadly force the officer involved has to be certain that life is in jeopardy, whether it be his or an innocent bystander. A mentally slow person yelling "I GOT A GUN," would be the type of provocation they would need to use that kind of force. Now whether or not that's that's really what happened is another story.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
His Mother was yelling that he had a gun...HE was yelling that he had a gun...20 shots? You shoot untill the threat is no more...This is more of Suicide by Cop dealio....

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
i think it is also important to point out that not all 20 shots hit him.
and just a side note, how come people arent outraged when a white person gets shot? i mean, people are people. and we should care about the well being and just treatment of everyone. not every cop is a racist, which i also think needs to be said. Last time i checked there are black people that actually commit crimes.

kind regards,
digitalgrl

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
20 shots isn't some incredible and excessive number. The cops are individual people not some one-mind collective. Figure each cop pulls his trigger 4 or 5 times and you get 20 shots.

I'm not going to shout over to the guys on either side of me and say "Hey, I was going to shoot. You guys going to shoot too? Hey officer Steve, you wanna shoot first then if the threat still exists I'll shoot? Okay, so you shoot 1st then me then Roger over there if the threat still exists, okay?"

C'mon. They get 30K a year to risk their lives over drug addicts and psychopaths. Frankly I'm surprised they tolerate as much crap as they do. If I knew it was a comb in his hand and he continued to approach me I'd still shoot. I'm not going to die because my head is filled with PC bull and questions of what I can and cannot be sued for. That's just madness.

And I'd hardly call cop firearm training "efficient." They fire MAYBE 200 rounds through their service firearms a year for quals and drills. The average IDPA competitor gets far more situation training. Astronomically far more training. Hell, the average beer bellied Wheel of Fortune watching "sportsman gets more practice time with his firearms than cops do.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Retraction....The mother wasnt yelling he had a gun...While she was on the phone with 911, he was in the background yelling he had a gun...Thisguyrighthere.... Your correct on the amount of training, our gun club gets new police recruit's that have no clue on shooting and come to us for help. These people are begining training for NY State Police and NYC PD and some have never fired a pistol before. Kind of scary, even when their skills progress to allow them to qualify, total rounds fired are less then I probably shoot in 2 months...

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pmexplorer
Fair comment tac.

This past summer a guy in green bay wi was chased by the cops, stopped and he ran. Cops pulled there guns and because he had his cellphone in hand, the cops fired 33 rounds hitting the guy 11 times and killing him as he ran. The cops also shot a guy standing in a bar they fired into through the front plate glass. So there were 22 wild shots beside the 11 hitting the target. Cops love it. Thats why there is so many taser incidents. Cops really love it........"It" is how they are trained to respond.

top topics

join