It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a terrorist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I was reading around the market section of Yahoo and came across this. I thought it was very interesting because it is an economists perspective on what define a terrorist.

Nice read.

What makes a terrorist?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Terroists don't actually exist.

They are made up by the American government.

The "war on terror" doesn't exist.

It's a Western plight to gain control of peoples minds and oil.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by christian952

I agree somewhat. Freedom fighters and terrorists are the same when they use the same methods, and sometimes even when they dont. Bombing civilians or using suicide bombers, whats the difference? Are blackwater terrorists or a private army?

If terrorism is defined as war against civilians, you have a whole bunch of suspects these days, with psy-ops, media control and other things.

Same crap, different a-holes.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Suicide bomber=terrorist.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think I have a good answer to the question.

A terrorist is someone who commits an act of terrorism that can include damaging effects on:

population
economy
security

IN ORDER TO COMMIT A TERRORIST ACT you must be against a country and committing terrorism to that country.

Suicide bombers are suicide bombers. Suicide bombing is a known form of terrorism. However; suicide bombings in Iraq and Afghanistan are about freedom. Not all suicide bombers are terrorists; some merely fight because thier country is occupied by foriegn armed forces. Hence some suicide bombers are actually freedom fighters.

Freedom fighters. Freedom fighters fight for 'freedom', whether this be to:

Eradicate foriegn armed forces occupying thier homeland

or

'Push' for political & economical re-form.

A TERRORIST FOR THE WORLD SHEEP
Usually 'coloured skin'
Muslim
does anything to hurt anyone, anywhere

GOVERMENT DEFINATION OF TERRORIST
Anyone with a funny name that has access to the internet
People who speak freely

Where have the days of material evidence gone? You don't need any bomb making equipment or even weapons...hell, you probably don't even have to think about terrorism to be considered a terrorist by the goverment

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I disagree. Just my opinion but if you cross the moral threshold of typical fighting techniques to the point where folks will kill themselves to kill someone else i.e. suicide bombing to blow up civilians, then thats terrorism.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What do you call those pilots from Japan who in WWII......

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
double posted it did.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Terrorists are persons or groups of persons in posession of resources coveted by the U.S and/or blocking access to them.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
I disagree. Just my opinion but if you cross the moral threshold of typical fighting techniques to the point where folks will kill themselves to kill someone else i.e. suicide bombing to blow up civilians, then thats terrorism.

To be honest, reasonable argument.

I'm looking at the warfare perspective rather than the humane perspective. However I can circumstantially make a distinguishment between the two.

Suicide bomber attacking foreign forces or goverment infrastructure - freedom fighter

Suicide bomber attacking with disregard to civillian population - 'terrorist', but only to the host nation.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Anyone who uses guerila tactiques against a civilian population is a terrorist. Using these same tactics in a war zone is simply war. There is a lot of talk about how the IEDs used in Afganistan and Iraq are terrorist bombs, but in truth they are guerila tactics in a war zone. The same thing used outside of a war zone, say in France or Saudi Arabia, would be a terrorist bomb.
Suicide bombers have been known in every war since explosives were invented. Being trapped and taking out the enemy with a satchel charge, Japanese Kamikaze pilots, keeping back one grenade just in case, even the engineers on the beach at Normandy who ran the bangalore torpedoes into the wire and under the concrete walls could be called a type of suicide bomber. They knew that they weren't going to survive placing that charge most times, but did it anyway.
The modern suicide bomber who straps explosives to his chest and walks into a crowded restaurant or shopping center is definitely a terrorist. Same as the man who wires a car bomb or plants an explosive on a bus. And these animals have no connection with the more honorable type who fight in a war zone.
The problem is you can't fight a war against terrorists. By their very nature they are small dispersed groups that hide themselves within a population. You can't declare war on them and have them all stand up in the open and fight. When you mobilize, they hide. When you relax, they attack, but not where you are. They attack some civilian target and run.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
While digger deeper into all this Ive found that terrorism is drugs..
Ive found that people like Kroll Inc. are those who provide the protection aginst such threats. But do they in secert fund and are the source of some terrorist acts?

What makes a terrorist? depends what kind of terroist you are talking about? But the real terrorists are the guys that hold that all high and mighty throne which promise to protect you. While the whole time those same companies pump out the gear and weapons to fight the very thing they have created.

A few key words for those of you who are looking for the source of terriorism.

Kroll Inc. ISI, CIA, FBI. AIG

Take a look at these beautiful flower feilds.. Look at their majestic sutle beauty.. How could something so peaceful looking cause so much terror?

So I do belive that Drugs are the cause of most terror.. Herion is the boy Im pointing at.. Oxycotton, big pharm companies..
Its a war on your body and mind people!

[edit on 19-11-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Direwolf-excellent post.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
it depends on who you are, if you the us goverment then you can never be terrorist

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
A terrorist is someone who intentionally murders an innocent person to advance a cause.

Example: walking into a bakery and shooting all of the Shiite clerks/bakers within.

Another example: hijacking a civilian airliner and crashing it into a civilian building.

All with the purpose of advancing a cause whether it is "liberation of Iraq" or to wage war against the US of A.

The tactics and methods used are what label a terrorist a terrorist.

If you are an angry Iraqi or even just an Arab (in Iraq) and you target only American soldiers then I, even as an American, would not call you a terrorist. I'd call you an insurgent or a rebel. If however you instead park your car in a market and then blow it up, killing 40 or 50 people who were shopping there then I'd say you are a terrorist.

new topics

top topics

join