It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wars Cost U.S. $1.6 Trillion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - The economic costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are estimated to total $1.6 trillion — roughly double the amount the White House has requested thus far, according to a new report by Democrats on Congress' Joint Economic Committee.

The report, released Tuesday, attempted to put a price tag on the two conflicts, including "hidden" costs such as interest payments on the money borrowed to pay for the wars, lost investment...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
$1.6 trillion US taxpayer dollars to set up natural gas pipelines in Afghanistan and control oil fields in Iraq, getting 3,000+ U.S. soldiers and 600,000+ innocent Iraqis killed in the process.

And what's the justification that is fed to us?

Al Qaeda? The same Al Qaeda that is supposedly gaining strength?

Bin Laden? The same Bin Laden we can't find and that Bush doesn't consider a priority?

Saddam Hussein? Oh, ok, he's dead now. $1.6 trillion to hang Saddam.

Good investment

news.yahoo.com

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Add that to the trade deficit and our nations debt and we must wonder how are we able to survive in so much debt.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Saw this clip this morning, there was another stat within about a family of four pays $20,000 to fund these wars.

This has to stop. Um, Pelosi and Reid -- I thought you're democratic? Can you do something for the infamous "exit strategy" sooner then?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

And with the way our economic system is under the Federal Reserve, the only way to pay off that debt is to pile on more debt. Since our gold standard is gone, they have to print money just so we can pay the debt, but that printed money also has debt attached to it, so we just have to have them print more to pay off the newer debt, and the cycle continues.

I wonder how many people in this country even know what's going on? How many even know how the economic system that they depend on works? They just simply "elect" leaders to take care of it and ignore it, not even bothering to wonder what's going on. That's why these criminals are able to take full advantage like this.

It's really sad.

On a side note, it's fair to mention that the $1.6 trillion cost factors in oil disruptions and health care for veterans as well, but really, both are a result of the wars and are still sucking money from taxpayers' pockets.

[edit on 11/13/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I hear this. And the worst part is, those of us who do give a hoot feel a little helpless to an overall situation that has got people in lockdown of thought/action. You're considered a "terrorist" for anything! I saw another newsclip this morning about using P2P software and in the UK they're trying to label users this.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

Yeah I heard about that P2P thing. That's just pathetic.

I guess they're locking everything down and broadening the definition of terrorist to scare those that are just now "waking up" and force them to keep quiet and stay in line.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - The economic costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are estimated to total $1.6 trillion — roughly double the amount the White House has requested thus far, according to a new report by Democrats on Congress' Joint Economic Committee.

The report, released Tuesday, attempted to put a price tag on the two conflicts, including "hidden" costs such as interest payments on the money borrowed to pay for the wars, lost investment...

This makes me sick, sick, sick....

President Bush and his cronies are destroying the world.
How many people are starving in this world?
How many people need an education?
How many children die of disease that can be cured by immunisations that they can't afford.

I hope Bush rots in hell and everyone that voted for him

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Again, agreed... the worst thing about this war economy is just that, defining 'terrorism' in such a broad way is unfair and unconstitutional with police state measures creeping into recent defense bills, let alone the DHS where *they* imported a Nazi idea and turned an economy into war.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

I don't understand how people can look at this and not realize what's going on. What have we done to stop terrorism in the world? Didn't Bush say we'd go anywhere terrorism is and defeat it?

We've been to Afghanistan because of terrorism. That's it.

In that article, it says $1.3 trillion of that $1.6 trillion is for the Iraq war. So $300 billion spent on "defeating terrorism"?

I just don't see how people can know this stuff and think it's truly about fighting terrorism. It seems so obvious.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I wonder how much of the Budget goes into Haliburton pockets. You know that all this money is not only for the support of our soldiers but also for the profiteers of the war also.

You know ripping off the people of a nation is not exclusive of countries with dictatorships.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Good point, but I don't think about Oil Cheney as much when Rummy admits to stealing $2+ trillion from US citizens a day before S11.

911research.wtc7.net...

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
reply to post by anhinga

I don't understand how people can look at this and not realize what's going on. What have we done to stop terrorism in the world? Didn't Bush say we'd go anywhere terrorism is and defeat it?

We've been to Afghanistan because of terrorism. That's it.

In that article, it says $1.3 trillion of that $1.6 trillion is for the Iraq war. So $300 billion spent on "defeating terrorism"?

I just don't see how people can know this stuff and think it's truly about fighting terrorism. It seems so obvious.

WAKE UP AND SNIFF THE COFFEE FELLA!

Remember 911? When the USA government flew their own planes into NYC??

Terroism DOES NOT EXIST on the scale the your government says it does.

It is to gain control of oil feilds and to gain political control.

I am in Europe here- Ask anyone here, ask anyone in any of Europe and the Middle East...

YOU WATCH TOO MUCH TV

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well posted Novus.

I read about this and I could not help thinking about the gargantuan sums of money which have undoubtedly been spent on black projects within these wars.

The 1.6 trillion does not include any of the hidden projects.
We could probably double the figure and still be underestimating.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by christian952

I really have no idea what you're talking about....

Care to explain?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I wonder how many starving people that money could have fed or kept from dieing but I guess killing seems to be our leaders #1 priority. Even within America great poverty exists and to see your leaders get away with this blatant disrespect for humanity makes me lose faith in our species.

I can understand fighting a genuine threat to your safety which Iraq was not so it all boils down to the American people being sold out yet again and the people that are supposed to stop it are the enablers.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Imagine if you will, taking every dollar and ounce of human effort and ingenuity used this year to build weapons, defenses, intelligence agencies, bombs, guns, ships, and satellites....

Add to that every dollar paid to every soldier, general, military leader, and every dollar spent on military education and training, every dollar spent on military medical care,

Add to that every dollar spent on safes, border patrol, bunkers, military communications networks, and every other design of human intelligence meant to keep resources safe and under someone's control.

...For every country in the world.

What dollar figure would you come up with? Let's say it's only $5 trillion.

According to the World Health Organization, the cost of supplying food, shelter, clothing, healthcare, water, and education to 3 billion poorest people of the world would amount to $450 billion.

Which means that the lengths the rich and powerful go to to protect their wealth uses enough wealth itself to provide for the poor half of the world, 10x over. And that's not counting the wealth and resources they're hoarding.

This has got to come to an end. This is insanity.

The greed, fear-mongering, and war-mongering on this earth is CAUSING the problems we FEAR. Humanity fears not having enough, and because we fear it, we HOARD. In doing so, WE CREATE THE VERY PROBLEM WE'RE AFRAID OF: being one of the poor. Better make sure it doesn't happen to us, so let's go kill some people.

Stupid stupid monkeys. When will we get it????

[edit on 13-11-2007 by dionysius9]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The Man Jesus, 1.6 million dollars on war efforts alone. That figure is disgusting. And to thinkg of all the poor, starving citizens on the city streets in the United States. Or the public schools that have been in horrible shape for quite some time. Or the....... oh nevermind.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
$1.6 Trillion dollars.....try and wrap your brain around that one for a second. The figures are obscene. And we all sat and watched while these elected buffoons mortgaged our countries entire future away in order to play war in the sand.

$1.6 Trillion dollars would be enough money to educate, feed, shelter and clothe every citizen of the U.S. for a long time. Yes we need funding for defense...the key word being DEFENSE and not for conquest.

My question is how the hell did this even happen? Who fell asleep on their watch here? Why were these elected officials responsible for this disgrace not fired or dragged into the public streets and hanged long ago?

Our children's children will be footing the bill for this mess, and you can bet that the standard of living here in the U.S. is about to severely decline in the years to follow.

My God......$1.6 Trillion of our tax dollars wasted....flushed down the toilet by our rogue, war mongering government.

Next fall if you vote Democrat or Republican...you deserve what you get!! Both parties are equally worthless and incompetant.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Iraq and Afghanistan are just small cases,
your government is preparing a war on Iran, that will cost more.
and your government even dare to intervene China's reunification
with Taiwan, I guess the war against China will cost much much
much much..... more than Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran combine.
American empire is doomed collapse.

top topics

join