It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet a threat, says new U.N. anti-terror chief

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Internet a threat, says new U.N. anti-terror chief

www.reuters.com

BRISBANE (Reuters) - The threat of global terrorism is starting to roll back in some areas, but the Internet is a potent weapon being used to rally militants and must be better monitored, the new UN counter-terrorism chief said on Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
How far away can we really be from a totally censored and tightly monitored internet?

They already have systems in place that allow to them read virtually anything they choose.

Can all this hoopla HONESTLY be about terrorists? It is my opinion that these "terrorists" they are speaking of are people like you and me. Those of us who share information and attempt to find out the answers that THEY do not want us to know.

The internet is a very powerful tool for those of us who feel the need to be "in the know" and share what we can with the like minded.

I dread the day when I wake up to the news that the internet has been (or is being) put on lockdown.

Jasn

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well, here we go... it was only a matter of time.

Lets hope it will be difficult for them to completely prevent anonymous free speech. Its the only free one-to-many way of communication there is.

This new anti-terror guy seems to be a complete nut. He is coming from Australia... I guess he is part of the neocon crew. Another new article with him: Al Qaeda is a major threat to EU.

Sigh.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Are they still working on the bill that would make using a P2P program an act of terrorism? I know that Gonzalez was working on it before he resigned. Nothing like labling most of the youth of the country terrorists.

The internet is a tool of terrorism. So are cell phones, pencils, paper, any area where more than one person can be in it at the same time.... etc. Where does it stop? Just lock everyone in prison and you will stop terrorism.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Well, here we go... it was only a matter of time.

Lets hope it will be difficult for them to completely prevent anonymous free speech. Its the only free one-to-many way of communication there is.

Well, they could always skirt around the issue and not "prevent free speech" and just require permits for any dialogue on the internet. Then it would be similar to the permits that are required for staging any type of protest or gathering these days.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, I would love to ask the government if its OK that I express my opinions...

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Yeah, I would love to ask the government if its OK that I express my opinions...

Well, if they were to use the permits for public gathering as a guideline, they would also charge you for asking them permission. Making it where most people won't even bother.

I hope you don't think I am honestly wanting this scenario.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

No, I understood what you meant.

Its just that I think the Real ID will be used to identify people on the Internet as soon as it becomes used everywhere like the neocons want. And by then, there will be no more privacy. Basically you will be seen as a criminal if you want to express opinions anonymously.

The future will really suck on this planet if the neocons get their way.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
the government would never get away with it. the internet is the largest way of communication in todays society. don't think they have control anymore?? do we? (not in terrorism terms but in freedom of speech etc etc)

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Major threat, major bla bla bla.
In ancient battles tens of thousand died in one day, cities burned, people killed and raped. People lived on with their weapons ready, it was not the end of the world.
Look at the invasion of Saragossa by Napoleon, even if the city wall was breached, the people kept fighting the French for months, making them fight house by house, they never surrendered. They were not afraid
Can you imagine their king/emperor/tribal chief whatever he was telling them "be afraid !" ?

I say 9/11 was an inside job.
Even if it was not, even if the enemy did it, people should be suspicious about the ones that tell them "be afraid of the enemy !", instead of saying "stupid enemy thinks he won, do not be afraid"
Nothing was ever done by fear. I mean it's OK to scare your enemy, but why would you want to scare yourself ?
In this way it can be seen very well who is the enemy - the ones that say "be afraid !" They then use the fear for their purposes.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
ile tell you whats the biggest threat of all...

....the weapons countries like the us, uk,israel and russia are selling round the world ,regardless of the morality of whos buying.

where do you think all those weapons in africa come from?

the ak47s in iraq?,pakistan?

police states around the world?,

it certainly isnt the internet.

pretty much every remotley detonated bomb is using the mobile phone network to detonate,

by their logic,mobile phones should be considered a major threat.

[edit on 13-11-2007 by wierdalienshiznit]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Um, box-cutters anyone??? Seems to me that that is more a tool of terrorism than the internet. Afterall, didn't a few guys once hgijack a few planes and kill a few Americans with some simple box-cutters???
Oddly enough, I happened to see box-cutters on sale in Lowes just this past weekend.

Seems to me that the only thing the internet is threat to is TRUTH, JUSTICE and the elite scum-sucking pig's desire to rule the planet. Um, someone remind me again... who are the terrorists here!?!?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
World governments are using the same strategy - blame something on terrorism (or being used by terrorists) and then control it to give the goverment more power.

I still don't understand why people don't wake up and hold their governments accountable.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

this might be off topic and i am sorry if it is but can anyone tell me how to quote a news source with the white background as the OP did?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

over a year ago i've seen on other web-sites that the un wanted to control/censor the net but at that time the reason was not explained----------they are going to keep on punishing us just like at the airports now---except this time on the net-----i already am experiencing harrasment by microsoft or their pretenders on this computer which amounts to censorship-----i get their warnings/technical problems/closing downs due to them experiencing a problem on a very frequent basis.i think they are lying to me-----just trying to make it a miserable experience to learn too much.its hard to keep the sheep simple and stupid when they can warn each other----here comes the wolf !----we better enjoy being here as much as possible cause they're gonna do it and shut us out.we were better off with the commies as a perceived enemy to keep our governments busy------now they dont have enough to do they pester us.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Im glad this is happening this is what we get for not standing up for ourselves.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If the U.N. ever feels threatened enough by the internet could they shut it down? Would it be possible for the U.N. to shut the internet off.. like completely.. forever? Do they have this kind of power?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zeroeffect

If you are looking to post a new article, there will be a field to copy/paste your snip to.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Here is a hearing, aired on C-SPAN on 11/06/2007, by the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on the issue of Terrorism and the Internet that I just watched today. I think you might have several moments where you gasp in disbelief like I did. Seems like the UN Terror Chief watched it and took notes.

C-SPAN: Terrorism and the Internet - 11/06/2007

[edit on 13-11-2007 by Areal51]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
More control is all they seek.

The internet represents our shared mind, like an electronic telepathy.
You can't legislate thoughts, it will just create conflict.

Maybe that's the point?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join