It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed, Bored, No Motivation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Okay, so I lost my job in September. I have done nothing except watch TV, sleep and vist ATS since. I'm bored, depressed and unmotivated to do anything. I would like to start my own business but I'm not sure that I have the desire or motivation to get anything started. I should be cleaning my house but I have no motivation to do that either.

I have a computer information systems B.S. degree but have no desire to work with computers anymore. In fact, I have no desire to work for anyone anymore. I can't stand working for people because I feel like most are corrupt and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut which is what inevitably gets me in trouble.

I do take antidepressants which don't seem to be working. I have been to my doctor and started a new one that I have been taking for a month now but doesn't seem to be doing any good. I tell my doctor that I guess I'm just lazy but she insists that I'm depressed. I just think that if I was depressed that the pills would be helping by now. Anyway, I'm writing this to get some opinions about what I should do to get my life going. I feel stuck. :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well, look on the bright side... you aren't banned anymore!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
LOL ...

Yeah... I actually thought that maybe it was a good thing. Then maybe I would be so bored that I would actually clean the house and do some laundry.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Don't know what to say really.
Other than I am in somewhat of the same boat as you.

I haven't lost my job yet. But I am in an industry that is sinking fast.
I could lose my job at any moment.
It's an IT position as well. There are plenty of other IT jobs around.
But, like you, I am tired of working for piss-poor directors that are more interested in saving their own butts. Rather than working in a TEAM environment. It gets disgusting, the lengths some folks will go, to make themselves look good.

I'm ready to do something on my own. I have yet to decide what that "something" will be.

What do you LIKE to do? And could there be money in it?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well, I actually LOVE to go garage saleing... well i used to till i lost all motivation for everything. I really wanted to do something were I go garage saleing and buy stuff cheap and then resell it.

I actually did that the last time I was unemployed but I ended up buying more stuff than I sold. I just hate the listing and shipping part of the whole thing. (i did ebay). I thought about starting up a second hand shop but I'm scared that I will lose my arse.

I feel you about the IT thing. It totally SUX! :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
How about a franchise of some sort?
Not sure of your location, but some food franchises can be started for a relatively small amount of money.
Other's are extremely expensive..

About the yard sale-ing.
Did you spend time educating yourself of the value of "things"?
Or did you buy stuff that you liked? Stuff that was hard for you to part with.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I spent a lot of time educating myself. I actually did well for the little money that i spent. I just wasn't very good at saving money on packaging and shipping. Also, I got lazy with the listing stuff and got behind.

I did realize that you have to spend money to make money. It's just hard making myself spend a lot of money on that I'm not sure that I will sell.

As far as a franchise... Its kinda scary spending a lot of money on brick and morter stuff. Most restraunts don't make it and the other stores that are franchises.... well... okay okay... i'm just scared.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Well, fear is a great paralyzer.

Don't be afraid, don;t let it stop you from moving on something you feel strongly about.
Do some research, I'm sure you probably have already.
It's true, the food biz is iffy. But some places have Built-in clientele, like Subway, for example. (they also have one of the lowest startup costs)

Back to the E-bay stuff..Maybe you could partner up with someone?
Someone who likes to pack and ship..

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
That would be awesome but is there really anyone out there that enjoys packing and shipping?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You never know.
Some people love the smell of packing peanuts!

How about some advice from other members?!
Come on in and help stellawayten out!
(I may steal some advice that pops up in here too)

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Ooh. The lack of desire or motivation to get anything started is a pretty big hurdle. I sure don't have the answer for that one. I think you've probably got to get some resolution on that issue first, and I wish you the best with that.

On a more practical side (and I'm just spitballin' here), since you're computer savvy, familiar with eBay, and like yard sales and the like, how about something like this-

Indy Auction Pros

They sell stuff on eBay for people who lack the knowledge or are too intimidated to do it themselves. They take a commission on the sale with a $25 minimum. Maybe throw some business cards around at garage sales for people to give you a call about the stuff that didn't sell.

I'm sure it's a lot of work and would probably require some motivation. You might even be able to do a little consulting on the side like the Rent-a-Geek guys. Maybe a little freelance help at small businesses and homes in your area?

Computers are fairly ubiquitous and you could probably stay busy just helping people do routine stuff like virus/malware removal, system optimization, routine maintenance that might seem like routine to you but baffles the average user. I bet once you got your name out there and people were aware you were available, you'd be busy.

But you've got to find a way to get past the blues/blahs/depression whatever it is. If it's not a chemical imbalance type thing, maybe just focusing on something and getting a feeling of accomplishment would help.

Maybe.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Ok,

Before you have to invite us to that pitty party (which i have had, cake and all) make up your mind that YOU WILL have a nice job, its just around the corner and go look for it.
I have been in your situation some times, and i curl up on the couch fetal position for a long time. I dont do it anymore.
Make up your mind that you are too good for the previous job and start buying newspapers, or look online and do it NOW.

One door slams on your butt and another one opens! I know!

I had a problem 2 days ago at work, i put on my coat and left! I was so mad
i knew they were calling me at home and on my cellular and i did not answer the phone. Without going into details, a friend of mind who works there actually called me and told me they wanted me back. I will be going in tomorrow and i hope it works out ok. I'm going to give it a try because i do need the money. Should it NOT work out, i will be like you, but i have learned thru times that laying on the couch is not the solution.

So, i'm just telling you this because we have the priviledge NOT of working with some insane people but we have to let go!

NOW, i want you to check all work resources in your area, wash the tears away and hop to it. Let tomorrow be the day you go out and find a job and you will find one. Positive thinking (honest) will get you a better job.

Dont leave it for next week, do it tomorrow!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join