It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge slaps White House with restraining order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Judge slaps White House with restraining order

www.coxwashington.com

U.S. District Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr. issued a temporary restraining order today against the White House, ordering its executive office to preserve all records and back-up copies of millions of missing e-mails.

“Defendants shall preserve media, no matter how described, presently in their possession or under their custody or control, that were created with the intention of preserving data in the event of its inadvertent destruction,” wrote Kennedy in a Nov. 12 opinion in the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
While these emails may not amount to much, I would certainly like to see what is contained within them.

Though, Bush & Co. will likely rise above the law again and do whatever they please.

Jasn

www.coxwashington.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I hope one of my emails is in there.

It would be nice to be made a part of the White House's permanent record, even if it was just an email.

[edit on 2007/11/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I'm actually curious to see how this may turn out...a Kennedy slapping the White House...how ironic...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with illegal activity. This is about preserving these E-mails for history's sake. What exactly is the pressing need that demands judicial action, here?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Togetic

Perhaps some might feel those emails contain mention of illegal activity in some form or fashion?

I wouldn't mind plundering through them, they might be interesting.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

So if they want to preserve the E-mails for an investigation, they need to go through the proper channels. It is disingenuous to lie about your motives and manipulate the justice system. What if the government wanted to save all of our old E-mails for "historical" purposes? Especially when there is no active, relevant investigation happening? We'd be right to be upset.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Togetic

True.

However, with current and past administrations seeming to feel that they are above the law, perhaps this was the only route certain groups may have seen as standing a chance of succeeding.

As a side note, I feel it's wrong that the government can listen to any of my phone conversations or read any of my emails at their discretion and without my knowledge. However, that doesn't stop them. And they use false pretenses such as "terrorism" to justify this.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I may be missing something here,
but how hard is it to just delete emails from such servers, inbox's, sent items etc etc, and ensure there's no backed up data that people dont want seen?

I mean, it would be the WHITEHOUSE who's interested in removing the evidence, yet it seems we've charged the whitehouse with being the ones that secure all evidence..

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

It's a bit ironic isn't it?

I personally feel that this is one of the main problems facing us today. We entrust the tyrants with protecting us from tyranny and leave them to "control" their own actions.

Jasn

edit to add: I dig your avatar. I love how it pops off the screen.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

I agree with you. My point really is that we need to actually address the problem instead of engaging in tangential debates, which I feel cases like this do.

top topics

join