It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Situation X: Yellowstone Eruption

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Here is my plan if Yellowstone were to "pop".

I live in Texas, I would have a great head start of the ash fallout. Pack up and drive South. Keep going South into Mexico if it still looks like winds will carry the ash as far as Brownsville.

I found a link which has a couple free pdf books on specifically Volcanic preparedness including how to deal with the ash as well as other usefull information.

www.ivhhn.org...

Keep driving South untill safe. I remember seeing a show on the Discovery channel about 4 - 5 years back on Yellowstone and what could happen if it popped. Discovery Channel on Yellowstone

What I remember about it is that there can be particles which cause a disease of the bones. It caused your body to produce calcium which causes bones to grow. In the episode they showed several Dinosaurs where thier rib cage was fused together because of this disease. They dated the dinos as surviving a volcano blast and they inhaled the ash.

This is a long and painful death. Not being able to breath because your rib cage will no longer expand and contract. This is why it is important to get out of all ashfall if you have the chance to.

I do not have a link to the video itself otherwise I would post it. Does anyone know where the vid could be found online?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I hadnt heard of this until this thread. Thanks for posting.

I have a pile of mountains between me and yellowstone, and am roughly 3000 miles away, so as far as the immediate effects, I'm not overly concerned.

For those closer to this all I can say is good luck. Keep lots of drinking water in storage, and have a plan to seal at least one room of your home off from the outside world. Duct tape, plastic, etc... at least until the immediate fallout is over.

As for the after effects world wide. I would agree with some of the other posters in the case of a nuclear winter. No one knows exactly what would happen, or how long changes would take. So the old adage again rings true. Be prepared. Keep your food and water stocks up, be prepared to leave populated areas, keep a leaf blower around to push back the ash. You know, the basics.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Found a video about if this ever happened. It is not the Discovery Channel video but covers the main parts.

Video of Scenario

Maybe even I could not outrun this then even here in TX.

Looks like if this happens, grab your significant other and have as much fun and loving b4 it's lights out?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here's a link to a great site that talks about a lot of Sit X's Yellowstone has happened before...im sure it will happen again....maybe not in our lifetimes or our grandchildrens but it will happen......History has a funny way of repeating itself.

Exit Mundi

Thats the link to the Super Volcano one that talks about Yellowstone but check out the rest of the site for other ones too. Interesting and disturbing

Here's a link to a BBC game regarding emergency management during a volcano eruption. How well do you do?

Emergency Manegement Game

[edit on 12-12-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
IMO the Yellowstone volcano blowing up would be worse than nuclear war.

So prepare for nuclear war instead... because at least you have a chance of survival. If Yellowstone explodes, you don't, unless you can go in an underground base far from the volcano with years of food and water.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
www.seis.utah.edu...

A swarm of small EQs is reported under the caldera over the past two days. Should we worry?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium
Here is my plan if Yellowstone were to "pop".

I live in Texas, I would have a great head start of the ash fallout. Pack up and drive South. Keep going South into Mexico if it still looks like winds will carry the ash as far as Brownsville.

Do you actually think Mexico and the other states south of the border are going to let in thousands of nort americano gringos pour unchecked into their lands?, They have had decades in which hundreds of thousands of "Wetbacks" I believe they are called being ejected as unwanted from the lower 48. I think the latin states will more than likely decide its payback time.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Is there some sort of map I can look at to determine whether or not I would be safe in this situation for awhile? I'm NW in WA state. There are just too many damn things to worry about nowadays.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So what is the latest with the ongoing earthquake swarm at the Yellowstone supervolcano caldera? Article by James Pethokoukis - US News & World Report

This appears to be one of the only mainstream journalists covering this event with any kind of a clue:

Here is my just-completed email chat with Dr. Jacob Lowenstern of the U.S. Geological Survey, top scientist at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory:

www.usnews.com...

CN

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I remember looking at a prediction graft. I also live in Arizona.
As far as most states here, this was one of the safest ones as long as you are south, like phoenix Tuscon. Will still get some ash but not the 12 foot of it.

Northern Arizona is in trouble. That caldera can set off the one in Flagstaff.

Of course no one really knows, but I am glad I am where i am.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What a thread,Thanks for all the work put into the posts. If i was not concerned before I am now. So HOW TO SURVIVE in Missouri, middle part???.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Would upstate NY be safe for a while?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What will happen in the europe or in scandinavia... would the ash reach this far and does it cover up the sunlight. I just want to know.
L from Finland

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
What a thread,Thanks for all the work put into the posts. If i was not concerned before I am now. So HOW TO SURVIVE in Missouri, middle part???.

Sorry to be the cause of even more worries but if yellowstone goes off it could well set of the New Madrid fault, which would possibly make missouri either coastal property or a new sea.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Here is a link to my new thoughts regarding if Yellowstone were to blow.

My new thoughts and opinions

As far as my ability to "head South", it would be quite successful. Hundreds flood in through Texas everyday. Just not through the main roads. There is no fence separating Texas with Mexico along most of the border. Just around the border towns. If one were proficient in Spanish language then one could blend in quite nicely and head to the "tourist" spots of Mexico and prepare for the next planned move.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
What will happen in the europe or in scandinavia... would the ash reach this far and does it cover up the sunlight. I just want to know.
L from Finland

In order:

Bad things.
Yes.
Yes.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I believe in my gut that yellowstone will be erupting sooner than later. It is up to us to come up with ways to control this disaster rather than the "run for the hills" approach. Once i hit 20 posts i will try to start a discussion in the science/tech forum on possible ideas for controlling this type of disaster.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join