It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FSME Introduction.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I want to take this time to introduce myself to the forum. I've been picked, for reasons beyond me to understand, as an Forum Subject Matter Expert in Space Exploration.

Let me be clear, I don't think I'm an expert. I want to learn all I can about space. I've been interested in it since I was a child and read my first Science Fiction books. I think it is the last true frontier, and the hope of our species. But the collective genius here at ATS is greater in knowledge than I could ever hope to be. I will learn with all of you the glories and wonder of what is out there.

If there is ever a way that I can help anyone here, please feel free to send me a U2U. If there is a problem. I'll try to fix it, and if I can't, then I'll try to get a mod to do something. (Though usually you have to sober them up first. *jk* )

I try to applaud those posts and posters that I see contributing to the growth of knowledge in this area. Sure, I sleep sometimes, and I miss things, but overall, I try to read everything posted here. I want to see this area grow, because it is a subject so near and dear to my heart, and I want to show appreciation to those that share with others this sense of wonder.

I like facts. I really do. That's not to mean that I look down on speculation. If we don't question and dream, we're really not seeking the future. I hope to see a mixture of both in this forum. Speculation based on known facts is a wonderful thing.

And I want to keep us on topic with any thread. I realize that sometimes one idea turns over a rock and out crawls a new idea. And I'm not that inflexible on the matter. As long as we're all fairly comfortable, it's not a problem.

The matter of T&C will always be one that must remain in the forefront. There can be no gray area about that. Being civil is the only way we can all learn. I think most people attracted to this forum, and the content of it, will be in agreement. By definition, people interested in the exploration and eventual use of space have the intellectual capacity to see that conflict must remain on earth when we do reach into the beyond.

I look forward to learning and sharing in this forum. I expect great things to be brought out here on a wide range of subjects pertaining to all aspects of Space Exploration. This is a great forum to be a part of for me.

Thank you all in advance.
NGC2736

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You are an expert for sure.

Thing I like about you NG is the fact that you think out in a level headed and logical manner all your thoughts on this site.
You are very witty and I respect you.
You are an expert, congrats.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by earth2]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Congrats on your promotion! Let us know when you receive your first pay-check, i heard the pay is pretty impressive!!

I'm still waiting for BTS FSME, i can def handle being one of those!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Congratulations on the position!

Now update those Forum Libraries! Someone's been slacking!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Earth2. I may achieve that distinction someday in my own eyes. But it's a lofty goal right now.

hikix, the pay sucks, but it's an open bar at the pub, so I'm stickin' right here till closing time.

Cmdrkeenkid, I will get right on that as soon as I figure out the system the last lunkhead had-he left it such a mess. (jk)

I really do appreciate the support guys. I'll try to do the best job I can. I'm not doing this as much for the staff as I am for all of you. I'm just a member too, and I want this forum to be the best on the board, just like ATS is the best on the internet.

And I expect everyone that comes to this forum to speak their mind, civilly of course. If you think I'm nuts, say so. My wife has said it for years, and I still love her. Just remember, you can't expect experts to always be right, even the fake ones like me.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Yeah, I donno who let that kid sort stuff out! He's pretty out there... I'm sure if you need some help he'll be more than glad to pass along advice, as long as you send some of the open bar goodness his way!

He'll probably attempt to FSME vicariously through you know, the weirdo. Watch out!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

Oh, I'm watching out. But it never hurts to listen to advice. We'ld all be speaking German if Herr Hitler would have listened more.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Congrats NGC!!

This is exactly why I love ATS. Good people are here and make a difference in peoples lifes. You're definetly an expert with people and I'm glad to know you here on ATS. I look forward to learning and laughing with ya!

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Thanks, to you and all others here who have made me feel like I can reallydo this job.

I actually get a certain "high" from learning. It's one of the things I find that makes me happy. Here in Space Exploration, and all over ATS, I get my daily fix. And it is the great ideas and threads that you, my fellow ATSers, bring that make this possible.

I couldn't ask for a better hobby than working with all of you.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow NGC, I just spotted the SME badge. Congratulations.

Now we expect you to have that whole string theory, black hole, warp drive thingy figured out by next Monday. Mmkay?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

I understood all of it once. Then I sobered up.

But with the help of everyone here, I figure we can have these pesky problems wrapped up before Christmas. I'm still fuzzy on Christmas of which year.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Congrats, NGC!

Look forward to continuing to learn from your posts. You'll be a great FSME.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just noticed this!

Congratulations NGC2736. They couldn't have picked a better man for the job!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Can you give us some background as to your professional career and years of higher education in physics, astronomy and engineering (etc) that lead to to this lofty position? How many published papers have you authored on the subject of space exploration that you could share with us?

Congrats on the promotion, love your level headed posts.....ATS needs more like you around here that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
NGC,

A little late to the party, but:

CONGRATULATIONS>>>>

They indeed picked the perfect person for this position...

Semper

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Congratulations to you. I am sure you will make us proud.

I wish you God speed into the world of the unknown.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Can you give us some background as to your professional career and years of higher education in physics, astronomy and engineering (etc) that lead to to this lofty position? How many published papers have you authored on the subject of space exploration that you could share with us?

Congrats on the promotion, love your level headed posts.....ATS needs more like you around here that's for sure.

I am not here to discuss myself in detail, and leave that out of the equation as much as possible. I find that when people get into a forum situation and start touting their past and present qualifications, it is usually a prelude to them putting themselves forward as a judge in certain matters. And even when it isn't their intention, others try to do this for them.

I'm here to learn, plain and simple. No one person, irrespective of education or experience, is all knowing. Myself included. Nor would I want to have others on this forum deffer to me in any way. What a person has learned can sometimes be as much of a hindrance to progress as what they haven't. I see us as all being equal here, with equally valid perceptions and abilities. Any of us has as much chance to be right or wrong about something as the next. But collectively, we are greater than any individual genius.

I thank you for your compliments on my approach to this job. I only want to see us all achieve greater understanding, and any way that I can help facilitate this it is my intention to do. My job isn't to moderate nor police this area. I suppose I was picked in hopes that I could ask intelligent questions to stimulate better understanding, and to award a few points through applause to those posters who work hard to increase the knowledge base for us all.

Lofty? I think not. I am first and foremost a member here, as I have been since joining. About the only change that I can see is that now, instead of stars, I give applause. (Plus I get a private and public butt chewing if I break T&C.
) I expect each and every one of you to tell me when I am not taking the right approach on an issue, or when I am in error; just as ever.

Edit for spelling. So smart I can't spell the first time around, either.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
C.H.U.D.,Semperfortis and dizziedame, thank you so much. I'll do my best to live up to these expectations.

I hope this means that you will all be regular contributors here, as we are always in need of new perspectives on the many wonders of Space Exploration.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I'm here to learn, plain and simple. No one person, irrespective of education or experience, is all knowing. Myself included. Nor would I want to have others on this forum deffer to me in any way. What a person has learned can sometimes be as much of a hindrance to progress as what they haven't. I see us as all being equal here, with equally valid perceptions and abilities. Any of us has as much chance to be right or wrong about something as the next. But collectively, we are greater than any individual genius.

I will be filing that and quoting it as my own in the near future, lol....brilliant example of why your where you are.

Looking forward to being a bigger part of this forum myself, see you around!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What? Ten days since the last post, and there are no suggestions for how I might do a better job? No complaints that I have done wrong somewhere? How can this be?

Seriously, I want this thread to be a place where you can tell me what you expect and want from me. Where you can tell me the areas that I need to be better in. Where I need to lighten up.

I can't say that the real mods won't see this thread, (those evil grimlens see everything) But I can say that anything said here, while open to the whole board to note, is the place to voice any shortcomings you see in my performance without feeling that it's a matter to just have to "let go" and live with.

I want Space Exploration to be the number one forum on this site for those people that are serious about what's "out there". I want this to be a beacon in a constellation of confusion, a place where people are sure there is a straight answer to the best of our ability. Yet, I don't want anyone to feel that honest questions about the known universe are not to be challenged here, for they are. We question everything, and thereby learn.

With the help of those of you who value science, and the pushing of the boundaries of science, I hope to see us grow to be the forum that people click onto first; to learn what is new and what is understood, and what is hoped to be known, in our reach, as a species, into space.

I invite everyone to take a tour here. This place isn't a gallery of what if, it's mostly a gallery of what is and what will be. While we will always be open to possibilities of what is new, and what might be,because science is always a changing of ideas, we are really about exploring the very real mysteries of space as we know and understand it.

If there is anything I can do to further this goal, please speak up.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by NGC2736]

[edit on 28-11-2007 by NGC2736]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join