It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why arn't Pluto and Charon orbiting Neptune?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I could not find a subject topic (current events, science, predictions-there's no subject for just "what if") forum that meets this type. So I picked this one.

Why arn't Pluto and Charon orbiting Neptune?

Neptune seems to only have one real moon, which is named Triton. Neptune and Uranus are almost the same size but Uranus has four real moons instead of just one. The large moons of Uranus are named Titania, Umbriel, Oberon, and Ariel.


What pulled Pluto and Charon away from Neptune?

Diameter of Uranus is 31,800 miles(51,100 km).
Diameter of Neptune is 30,800 miles(49,500 km).


Also to add. If Mercury were to be matched with Venus, Earth and Venus would be identical twins.




posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   


What pulled Pluto and Charon away from Neptune?


Right now most think that Charon was an asteriod caught in Neptune's gravity.



posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think that Science would have been the appropriate forum...

Anyway,

There has been much debate on whether Pluto should be a planet since it is so small, some even wanted it to call it an asteroid.

I think it should be left as a planet.

You asked What pulled pluto and charon away from neptune,

I believe this is one of the reasons why they think there is a tenth planet...

My knowledge on this subject is very vague, its been a while since I have looked into this stuff.



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup


What pulled Pluto and Charon away from Neptune?


Right now most think that Charon was an asteriod caught in Neptune's gravity.


Charon is a real sphere-like moon(1220 km diameter) which orbits Pluto (2300 km diameter), whereas Chiron is an asteroid which is highly-elliptical (200 km in diameter) and orbits around the sun and then near Saturn.

pages.prodigy.net...



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
I think that Science would have been the appropriate forum...

Anyway,

There has been much debate on whether Pluto should be a planet since it is so small, some even wanted it to call it an asteroid.

I think it should be left as a planet.

You asked What pulled pluto and charon away from neptune,

I believe this is one of the reasons why they think there is a tenth planet...

My knowledge on this subject is very vague, its been a while since I have looked into this stuff.


I would say there is a difference between the gas planets (Venus is gas filled too) and the perfect spherical moon bodies.



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
who the hell named uranus uranus? why did they name it uranus?



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
must have been some kind of inside joke



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by razorbackhater
who the hell named uranus uranus? why did they name it uranus?


Uranus, "the Heavens." He became by Gaea, the father of the Titans, the Cyclopes, and the Centimanes. Jealous of the power of his last-born sons, he buried them at birth in the deep abyss beneath the earth. This so displeased Gaea that she prompted her sons to lay violent hands upon their father. Uranus was seized, mutilated, cast into chains, and compelled to abdicate his sovereignty, which now passed to Cronus (also named Saturn to the Romans.) Chronus was the youngest of the Titans.

Bulfinch's Mythology-The age of fable



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
Why arn't Pluto and Charon orbiting Neptune?

Neptune seems to only have one real moon, which is named Triton. Neptune and Uranus are almost the same size but Uranus has four real moons instead of just one. The large moons of Uranus are named Titania, Umbriel, Oberon, and Ariel.


What pulled Pluto and Charon away from Neptune?


And who let Ariel Sharon inside Heaven?

Blessings,
Mikromarius



posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As for the original topic. I think the answer is that the reason is they are planets, not moons. Allthough I have read that science does not approve their planet statuses allthough they are orbiting the Sun. Kupier objects I think they call them. Pluto and the other planets at the edge of our system. To me they are as good as any planet.

Blessings,
Mikromarius



posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Look to the Atom to see where the answer lies.



posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
its probably just that Pluto and Charon were never in the right place at the right time to be pulled into neptunes orbit... for all we know it could be taking place right now



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join