It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Praying in Faith (Christians)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Kinglizard,

I love prayer because in my humble opinion it is discussion with God. We can simply take a look at David in the Psalms and see what prayer truly is.

Therefore, I believe prayer is sharing with God how we feel and complete open ended honestly with him. If we are frustrated with God we should share that with Him. If we are mad at God we should share that with Him. If we desire something in our lives we should ask God for that.

Think of God as your closest friend. Think of Him as someone who cares for you more deeply than you can ever imagine. Think of Him as someone who will listen to you in any moment of everyday. He is our dad, our friend, our partner in a spiritual marriage.

God is simply a friend of the closest kind and prayer is where we talk to our friend. We can do it in every moment of every day. We don't have to have our eyes closed and head bowed. We can talk to Him through our thoughts and even our feelings. We can praise Him in the little things and in the little moments.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we should not be concerned so much about what proper prayer is like. David prays for deliverance from his enemies constantly. He doesn't just pray for it once. You see, God just wants a relationship with us. He just wants to talk to us and share time with us. He just wants to hold us and comfort us. Prayer isn't a formal thing, it's a relational thing. Share your true mind and true heart with God. Share with Him how you truly feel. The main thing is to simply not view God as some cosmic vending machine that is simply there to give you what you ask for. The idea of prayer is to be honest with God and to spend time talking to Him as a friend.

Scripture says to pray continuously. We must get into the mindset that God is always with us. He is always there desiring to talk with us. We can walk and talk with him in every moment of our life. We can talk to Him while we are in the grocery store and walking down the street. Also, remember this........God sees our faith when we see Him and talk with Him. It doesn't matter how we talk with Him. If we are talking with Him in the way we would talk to a friend, a family member, or a spouse we are showing our faith in Him.

I know I'm being random and my thoughts on prayer are flying all over the place. I should take the time to organize my thoughts better, but I lack the time in this moment. However, God is our Father. Fathers can relate to the fact that their kids ask for things all the time at the store. They want toys and they ball their eyes out when they don't get what they want. Many times the father realizes they don't need what they want or he knows what they won't really wouldn't be good for them. Does the father love them less for their constant asking? No. Our God is the same way. We ask for things, and God sometimes knows that what we are asking for really won't be the best thing for us. He knows that maybe it isn't something that we need. God may answer our prayers in unexpected ways. He may answer by not answering. He may answer by moving us in the opposite direction or giving us a new direction.

Summing up my advice on prayer:
1. Prayer is conversation with God. Talk to Him as a friend, family member, spouse. God isn't a cosmic vending machine.
2. Prayer should be open honesty with God. Tell Him how you feel and what your thoughts are. David was very open with God and at times shared his frustrations.
3. Prayer can be continuous. God is always with each and every one of us in each moment of every day. Talk to him within your everyday lives. It doesn't have to be something formal where we bow our heads.
4. God is our father and he knows what is best for us. Sometimes he answers our prayers in unconventional ways and sometimes what we ask for we don't need or it may not be the best thing for us. Just because God doesn't give us what we desire doesn't mean he isn't listening.

In Him,
Eric

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the way I pray and would like other Christians opinions.

Do you think it's ok to pray for the same thing more than once? I'm thinking if you continually pray for the same thing you are not praying in faith.

Well, let's check the user's manual:

""Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18-18

"They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers." - Acts 1:14

With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith." - 2 Thessalonians 1:11

Sounds okay to me
. I doubt they were able to pray for something different every time.

As Christians we know that God hears all of our prayers so when we pray for the same thing over and over again aren't we telling God that we don't believe that he heard the prayer the first time or that the prayer wasn't fulfilled/answered?

Know that He will answer your prayer, but the praying is for speed and mercy.

Lately I just pray for something one time though I will say other prayers thanking God for answering/hearing my previous requests.

Opinions?

I have the same problem, candidly. I tend to pray for something once and think, "I've already prayed for that and He'll deliver". I do recall though being sick and praying, and praying, and praying. You can do the latter knowing he'll deliver. Yes, God wants you to trust, but He also wants you to use your other tools as well such as hope.

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." - 1 Peter 4:12-13

Rejoice in suffering? How does that work? I don't know, but if we trust and do, reward is assured.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything....Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." - from James 1

[edit on 8-4-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
I then thought, Tell her it's o.k I have heard her prayer. What i did know about this lady was that she was a nurse. I then felt that this Bernadette was from the hospital, but she didn't work there and she wasn't a patient. That threw me a little.
Anyway, when everyone had finished praying I told this lady that i had a message for her and when i mentioned the person called Bernadette at the hospital and that God said don't worry he has heard your prayer, everything will be o.k. she nearly fell off her seat.

I'm glad you shared this. It makes me feel less crazy
. Seriously, I've been in a few similiar situations. For me the strangest one was writing a message on rolled up lambskin and giving it to a co-worker I barely knew. Again, it floors the person receiving the message because of something they were asking God and didn't tell anyone about.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentGem
What's the point of praying to your God at all? The God of the Bible is omnicient; it already knows what you desire and what you plan to pray for long before you even make your prayers.

Even though God knows what you're going to say, I'm sure He still likes to hear it. I know my kid loves me, but when kiddo says it, it's the next level entirely! It is a practice of expressing and communicating that is very important in a relationship. If you cannot share with God your heart, how could you do the same to anyone else?

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Hello

I think we should take more time to listen to God in prayer, a lot of this thread is about us talking to God, I know i'm very guilty of this, have to try better.

all the best

david

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
i did some research into the topic and i learned alot on this one because i never really thought about it before. anyway these are somethings the bible says about prayer.

we should pray often

1 thessalonians 5:[17] Pray without ceasing.

we must pray through jesus. not through saints or angels

john14:[6] Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
1 john 2:[1] My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

we must pray only to god.

matt 4:[10] Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

repeticious prays arent heard, so prayer books are out.

matt 6:[7] But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
[8] Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

silent prayers are heard

1 samuel 1:[12] And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth.
[13] Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.

things to pray about

matt 6: [9] After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (santifying of go´ds name is more important than anything)

[10] Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. (god´s will is second)

[11] Give us this day our daily bread. (praying for wealth may be considered pushing it. but nessecities are appropriate)

[12] And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. (forgiveness for our sins, but with the condition we forgive others)

[13] And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. (pray for the strengh to stay faithful under temptation)

requests should be in harmony with god´s will

1 john 5:[14] And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

pray whenever you feel the need to praise him

1 croncles 29:[10] Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever.
[11] Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.
[12] Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.
[13] Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

when faith is being tested

psalm 55:[22] Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
120:[1] In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me.

before we eat

matt 14:[19] And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.

when we sin

psalm 86:[5] For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.
proverbs 28:[13] He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

god only listen to the rightoues which means trying to follow his commandments

proverbs 15:[29] The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
28:[9] He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

must be humble when we pray

luke 18: [9] And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
[10] Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
[11] The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
[12] I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
[13] And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
[14] I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

must have faith

hebrews 11:[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

sometimes prayers do not get answered because god chooses not to answer them. paul suffered a ¨thorn in the flesh¨. its speculated that this could have been anything from physical problems to mental angush caused by others. but his prayer was not answered

2 corinthians 12:[7] And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
[8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
[9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Persistent prayer is a good indication of how sincere we are concerning our request. Much like a small child that will ask a parent ten times in ten minutes for something, over and over, regardless if that parent acknowledges it the first time, the sincerity is to be found in the persistence.

I will also add, there was one point in my life that I prayed concerning something over and over, reaching a point of begging God to bring it to pass, because it was something I wanted. The prayer was answered but , it turned out to be something I did not need and caused me great heartache and hardship. It was at that point I learned a valuable lesson regarding prayer, make your requests known, but leave the outcome according to His will, not ours. When I pray for certain things now, I make known the desires of my heart and acknowledge that as being what I desire, but knowing that the Lord sees far beyond what I can, I leave the outcome to his working.

Too many times we pray in a manner which represents a blue print, everything is laid out for God and how He should answer that prayer. I have learned that He indeed can answer that prayer, but His blue print and working toward that answer are designed far better than the one I laid out for Him. By the time He has answered that prayer, we should be left in amazement as to how the Lord answered the prayer; in such a manner, that we NEVER would have expected.

I will surely keep your Aunt Bonnie in prayer, Kinglizard.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Miriam, that was a great post. I'm bookmarking it to remind me of how to pray. I also loved your little attachment...how cute!

I have found that we are all so pushed in life to get everything done, that I was having difficulty fitting prayer into my daily life (kinda like exercise) so we have to make the time. But what I found most helpful to me, was the verse about praying without ceasing. So I took that and started using it every day, all the time. Whenever I find myself thinking or talking to myself, I stop quickly, and turn that inward conversation toward God. It has helped me tremendously in that now everything I think is directed toward God, and my decisions and outcomes are so much better because of it. It definitely helps in that you're giving God complete control over your life.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This issue is dealt with in the scriptures,

Luke 18:1-8 1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

4"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

6And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"'

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think true prayer is to keep the issue in mind, to talk to our father about it, until it comes to pass. To know that it will come to pass and to believe God will answer.

One day after I had read the verse in the bible with Jesus saying, ask for anything in my name and you will have it, I went to the front door and it being a murky day I said something like, beautiful skys appear in the name of Jesus. I spoke this to the sky without any doubt that it would happen....

Even after it didn't happen initially I still believed it would because I had faith in the scriptures.
The very next day, exactly as I had pictured the beautiful clouds in my mind, it appeared exactly as I had spoke it and it came to pass.

So lets say you spoke, in faith to a mountain to be moved, and then within several months contractors find some important mineral in the mountain and start excavating in effect moving the mountain, would that be an answer to your faith? Yes it would.

But even if you ask God in faith it cannot be for selfish purposes.

James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join