It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Veterans Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
To all those who have served our nation's military, Happy Veterans Day. To those in other parts of the world. Happy Remembrance Day or Happy Armistice Day, whatever it is called in your region.

We owe our freedom to those who serve.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Happy Veterans day to all who have served.

Our great nation has fought many legitimate wars and we remain free because of these great men and women.

Also, pay your respects to those who didnt make it.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
We all appreciate the contribution, in agreement with actions taken or not. My good friend from high school just finished his tour in Iraq and is on his way home from 29 Palms! USMC.. Can't wait to see the ****head.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
i dont know why we fight, and probably will never understand why it always has to come down to war, but i've had 4 people from my small state that arent coming back home...its time to call truce and let everyone live how they want to live..its not worth the blood shed

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
For the 100,000 of my countrymen who have died in wars over the last century....

Lest We Forget...

Peace

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The same here, having a Veteran Husband I also give my warmest salute to all the living and the ones that will never be home again.

BTW my husband been a retired marine we have been celebrating also the Marine corps birthday for two week already.

Lots of celebrations this year in my neck of the wood.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
thanks for the sentiment,
i served '65-'68, Army, 'RA' (that's volunteer)

i'm going to try my best to get over to the local 'Golden Corral'
where Vet's are presented a free dinner - - 5-9 pm on this monday...
for a long time now....i've basically avoided these venues,
but i do make donations (for a Veteran's calendar in return) every year...

nice of youse guys to do a thread

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043
Vets, Please accept my thanks, it is appreciated.

To marg, my thanks to you also. Thanks for being there through the thick and thin for a vet and there when he returned.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
As a veteran, abit one who served in peace time... I can say that in all honesty it is a hollow gesture.

Rather than thank a vet better to work towards making this a world where we need no more veterans, wounded, maimed or dead.

Failing that make your voices be heard and do what you can to pressure your lawmakers into making sure the VA and the hospitals are fully funded and that our government would keep its promises to us veterans.

from article www.alternet.org...

Veterans make up one in four homeless people in the United States, though they are only 11 percent of the general adult population, according to a report to be released Thursday by the Alliance to End Homelessness, a public education nonprofit.

And homelessness is not just a problem among middle-age and elderly veterans. Younger veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are trickling into shelters and soup kitchens seeking services, treatment or help with finding a job.

The Veterans Affairs Department has identified 1,500 homeless veterans from the current wars and says 400 of them have participated in its programs specifically targeting homelessness.

The Alliance to End Homelessness, a public education nonprofit, based the findings of its report on numbers from Veterans Affairs and the Census Bureau. Data from 2005 estimated that 194,254 homeless people out of 744,313 on any given night were veterans.

also from Alternet.org an article about an increase in suicides of Iraqi veterans.

www.alternet.org...

The tolls of war are always too high.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by grover]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It saddens me that we can't even have a thread here paying tribute to our brave soldiers without bringing politics into it.

No matter your stance on this war, or this president, or anything political in nature, the brave men and women in the armed forces deserve to be honored. They are the reason you have the HONOR of being able to sit at your computer and complain about how terrible our government is. Without them, we are nothing.

I only wish we could put aside our political beliefs for this one day and join together to pay tribute to these people.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Sorry but that attitude simply does not cut it... the issue of veterans has been politicized since the bonus marches of the early 30's if not before and at the heart of it is the fact that the government, no matter which party that is in control makes all sorts of mealy mouthed noises about honoring its veterans, and then screws them every which way but loose.

This administration is no different, and in fact is in a lot of ways far worse, but still they all do it. And given the fact that it is the administration, regardless of party, whose politics are behind the wars that make injured, deceased and maimed veterans...

... politicans, who odds are never served, who sing their praises while cheating them, is obscene.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Before I answer this grover could you tell me why you upped?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Do something for the homeless this week, 1 in 4 are war vets. Seems like a far-fetched number, but true.... I gave a winter coat to a homeless kid I see in 'hood.

www.caller.com...
www.nchv.org...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
You're still making my point.

You are still going on about the administration and politics as a reason to not honor veterans.

If the government and the current administration are mistreating and cheating veterans as you say, isn't that all the more reason to honor and support them?

You're logic makes no sense.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
By posting a story that 1 in 4 homeless are vets, how am I missing the point??! What's to be happy about if A. you got family in the military overseas, in danger or B. you actually have an ounce of compassion to CARE about the homeless.

I agree w/ Grover totally, and not to your fascist idea of 'shutting up' and accepting what government does.... the VA hospitals are either turning people away or not getting funded, vets are physically ruined and not treated by their expose to poisonous DU, the recent college loan/inflation scandal that PUT A LOT of these vets in their homeless status.

Should we not discuss or argue the REASON for the day, this thread/the day is nothing more then hollow, thoughtless flag-waving.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Thank You Veterans

Just wanting to say THANK YOU to all the Veterans here on ATS.

Thank you for your service..

Thank you for your sacrifice..

Most of all..

Thank you for my freedom...

Semper

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
All I can say is this:

Almost means more to me than our flag itself.

Thank you Veterans!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I too thank all those who serve and have served in past to preserve our freedom and way of life(although sometimes we as a country are not proud of certain ascepts of it). Hats off to men/women of valor!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm not sure 'Happy' veterans day is appropriate but a belated 'Thank You' from me.

You will not be forgotten.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by myowncrusade]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Happy? *SNIP* "Veterans DAY????"

In the UK we call it REMEMBERANCE sunday, where we pay our respects to people who have died for our freedoms. Not another poo-y reason to buy a card.

Why is it veterans day in the US?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/11/2007 by Mirthful Me]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join