It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a real American?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I often get into heated debates about what is an American. I am American. I was in a debate with a Mexican American, that started when he asked me where im from, I replied saying im from America, He then said no no where are you originally from..I said America, He then said "theres no such thing as an American" I asked him is there such a thing as a Mexican? He said yes, I replied with "So after God rested he created Mexicans? My point is simple, I am an American! Im not white American, Im not European American. God did not create flags, he did not create Mexicans, Russians, Americans, Germans ETC He created two people who had no nationality. People migrated to diffrent areas, created a flag and named themselves, America started the same way every other country in this world did.
Another issue is...When an illegal alien comes over here and gives birth somany people say that that child is American I believe that just because your born here, that does not make you an American, it makes you a U.S. citizen, when you grow older you have to make that choice of calling yourself an american, I see somany people who call them selves american yet they fly another countrys flag, speak another language, celebrate all their other countries holidays, So I ask them If America got into a war with your birth country, what side would you fight on if you had to choose, and so many times they side with their country of orgin, Well in my mind that is not an American, I am not a slash american ie mexican/american, russian/american and so on, I am American, I fly the American flag, I have no where else to go, I have no sides to choose, my blood dosnt bleed more than 3 colors, If America wouldnt represent me in the olimpics then I cant play, unlike some people who can also ask their native country too. If America was on the losing side of a war Iwouldnt run to another country I would stay and fight until im dead,because im American and nothing else

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
my mother traced my fathers family tree to landing in massachusetts in 1633

damn straight I'm an american

but I do cheer for the norwegians in the winter olympics

[edit on 10-11-2007 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
To me an American is a U.S. Citizen.

We were founded on the basis that no matter where you are originally from,what religion you practice,whatever personal beliefs you may hold,if you are a citizen of the United States,you are now an American.

I suppose the reason a lot of Mexicans and others still fly their own country's flag is that they immigrated here much more recently than our ancestors.They immigrated here recently.So in their lifetimes they have been citizens of more than one nation,and I would assume it would be hard to just bury all memory of the patriotism you had for your country of birth and suddenly say I am ONLY an American.

I was born here in America.I've never felt any sort of patriotism or allegiance to another country or flag before.Had I lived in another country then moved to the U.S. though,I would hope I wouldn't have to bury my heritage just so I could officially hold the title of American.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
there are no americans, canadians, mexicans, french, maltese, chinese, japanese, australians, russians, sudanese, burmese, ethiopians, brazillians, etc etc etc etc

there is you, there is me, there are all those other people on the planet and we're all humans

why the hell do we need to separate ourselves by nationality?

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Anyone who resides in the American continent is American. From top to bottom. Americus said so.

I think your asking if someone is patriotic.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DocGonzo

Absolutely dead on DocGonzo.

I'm a third generation German American. Grandparents immigrated in the 1870's as children. We even spoke German in our home years ago. I now remember just enough to start a fight.

Americans are from all over, U.S. citizens are made every day; some of them even born in the good ol' USA.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
, that started when he asked me where im from, I replied saying im from America, He then said no no where are you originally from..I said America ]

North America?, Central America?, South America?,

[ God did not create flags, he did not create Mexicans, Russians, Americans, Germans ETC He created two people who had no nationality]

If you insist, but I prefer evolution as an explanation of our origins

[America started the same way every other country in this world did.]

So every other nation was founded on slavery and revolution?

I'm not an 'American', I am an 'Oceanian'
, specifically from Aotearoa/New Zealand. We seem to have a lot more tolerance to 'auslanders' than you appear to, considering your 'fine' nation would barely exist without immigration. That is, before the European conquerors arrived, it was basically a collection of nation states.

What right have I to respond to this thread?
I am a citizen of the planet. Borders and race differences help breed intolerance and a faulty self-view, sometimes, as it appears, fostered by ignorance and misplaced, seething, undercurrents of patriotic megalomania.

(Disclaimer: this was posted in reply to the OP...there seems to some some intelligence and tolerance in some of the other replies)

[edit on 11-11-2007 by AotearoaSon]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

Well the Native Americans are certainly Americans.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hulk Hogan is...

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I love the Hulk's theme music, cheesy, but great fun!

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocGonzo
To me an American is a U.S. Citizen.

I think the OP's definition is better. Your definition would make me an American, too. But I hardly think of myself as one, mainly because I didn't grow up in America, practising American culture.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I think the OP's definition is better. Your definition would make me an American, too. But I hardly think of myself as one, mainly because I didn't grow up in America, practising American culture.

Yes,but I think there are many people in your same situation who would consider themselves American.I'm willing to bet most of them would find it a bit offensive for only those born in America to call themselves American.

In the end "American" is just a label when you come down to it.

It all depends on who is doing the labeling I suppose.

[edit on 11/11/2007 by DocGonzo]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DocGonzo

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't imply that only those born in America can be considered Americans. I was born in America. Wichita, Kansas to be specific. I've got an American citizenship, but like I said, I hardly consider myself American, for reasons mentioned earlier.

What I mean is that if you practice American culture, whatever that might be, you fly the American flag and you pledge allegiance to the Flag and the Constitution, then you should be considered an American.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

That video did not even begin to start to show why he is a real American. Many people do not know that he served in the US Navy Seals and is just a good man and a very nice guy.
I am a true American because I support the constitution, The pledge of allegiance and I am a Native American who wants the borders locked down and then we can have controlled immigration. Just because some Mexicans want a better life, That does not give them any right to be here. If you want to be an American then the first thing you should do is not break the law. If your country sucks so bad then fix it, Don't come here and break ours. Thanks Verizon, Your Mexicans left trash all over my lawn after they ate lunch under my trees and I was nice enough to let them sit in the shade. My friend a construction supervisor catches them putting there trash in peoples walls in there new homes among other disgusting crap.

[edit on 11-11-2007 by Sky watcher]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I am an American....

I am NOT some obscure citizen of the world, nor do I ever want to be or intend on being as long as I draw a breath..

I appreciate other people being patriotic to their countries because I am to mine..

I was born here..

I fought for this country..

I bled for this country..

I continue to fight for this country..

I could have taken a different direction in my life. I could have went after the "money" so to speak and then i would not have had all those years of hardship. But then there are people alive now that would not be if I had not.

Why?

Because I love my country, heart and soul..

I am an American..

I am
Semperfortis

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Watching 'The War' series on PBS I have developed a whole new education on what it is to live, fight, and die in the extremist of situations one could imagine. Not having a short change in 3 months in some rat infested dugout would make me really cranky. I continue to be amazed at the tribulation that our neighbors have made to allow this democracy. My personal feelings are of why can't peace be pursued more effectively. And any new wars will not even resemble the wars of the past. Flash, whoof, one really messed up day for a whole lot of people. Nuclear devices truly change the nature of war.
edit' spelling, can't

[edit on 11-11-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

I guess I'm as American as anyone. Both sides of my family go back before the revolution. My father's side of the family was from Scotland, my mother's England. No, I don't call myself an English-American or a Scottish-American, but I have some pride in my ancestors and a certain fondness for the U.K. It doesn't bother me when others feel an indentification with the country or countries of their origin. As long as they add the /American they are saying they're Americans.

One of the reasons no one has ever questioned my "American-ness" is because the original colonies
were largely (not entirely) populated by people from England and Scotland and people of British ancestry never had a problem assimilating into a culture which was much like the one they came from.
It wasn't nearly as easy for many other immigrant groups; they had to overcome the stigma of being thought "foreign." They had to prove their "American-ness." They had to renounce the languages and cultures they came from and they often felt ashamed of them because they were different. It was popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries to think of America as a "melting pot" where everyone shed their pasts and became like everyone else. "Everyone else" usually meant people of English or nothern European ancestry.

I think maybe your objection is to the concept of diversity. If you'll excuse a somewhat clumsy analogy, think of America not as a melting pot but as a salad, where many ingredients mingle but each ingredient preserves its own unique characteristics. It's no longer popular to feel ashamed of one's background and differences, but to feel proud of them, and of their contribution to America as it is today.

You yourself state that perhaps the earliest men had no separate countries or cultures. Then you berate people for not being "American" enough. It's somewhat of a contradiction.

I'm proud of my British roots. My family parted ways with their native countries when they went across the Atlantic and again when they joined the revolution. I'm proud of that too. All of these events shaped the American I am now.

[edit on 11-11-2007 by Sestias]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AotearoaSon

When I said that America started the same way every other country did I meant..People find land, create a flag for that land, then create a name for that flag.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
LOL tac. Run a search of "war without fear" lyrics. Really think it says it all. Best Regards.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
When I said that America started the same way every other country did I meant..People find land, create a flag for that land, then create a name for that flag.

Yep, I'm SURE this is how EVERY OTHER COUNTRY started.

Crikey, I'm sorry, but crikey!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join