It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take heart, it CAN happen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
So we have the local elections last Tuesday in Indianapolis. A seemingly popular second-term mayor (Democrat) Bart Peterson running for his third term. His Republican opposition is an outsider to the political process.

No party backing, minimal funding. He's not given a prayer. It's as though the Republicans have conceded the race. But the challenger, retired Marine Lt. Colonel Greg Ballard presses forward.

And against all odds, shocks the whole state by winning the mayor's office.

Now here's where I think it gets real interesting. Col. Ballard owes nothing to anyone. He received virtually no party help, and raised less than a tenth of the money that the incumbent candidate had. Today, there are a whole slew of Republicans who are wishing big-time they would have jumped in and lended even a token hand to asist in the effort.

Now it just so happens I know Greg Ballard a little bit. We were at Indiana University at the same time, and he went to high school at Indianapolis Cathedral with one of my roommates. Even back then, Greg was a scrupulously honest, straightforward, standup guy who everyone liked. In fact, the only negative thing I ever heard anyone say about him was that he was "too good".

So after college, he joins the Marines, and goes on to have a great military career.

This is a real "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" story. Although it's Lt. Col. Ballard and he goes to the mayor's office.

But I can't wait to see how he does. He's got no political ambitions beyond the mayor's office, owes no one, and is exactly the kind of tough minded ethical "outsider" a lot of us always hoped would get a chance, but believed without the money and machine, it could never happen.

Well it did.

You politics junkies might want to keep an eye on this story to see how it plaqs out. This isn't a " Governor Jesse Ventura" (or Arnold Schwarzenegger, for that matter) situation where a guy traded on his name recognition. NOBODY knew who Greg was before last summer, and even a week before the election he wasn't anything close to a household name.

So at least here, we got what I always wanted. And I can't wait to see how it goes.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Yeahright thanks for sharing that with us. This is very good news I hope that Ballard is able to make the most of his no strings attached time in office. Please keep us posted on how Ballard goes.
What kind of Republican is Ballard ?
Is he the kind that cares more about who gets married then fiscal sanity ?

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
You know, that's a great question and it's been posed to him. His campaign was about fiscal responsiblilty and public safety first and foremost. And he's reemphasized that in post-election interviews. I'm quite sure he has some strong opinions on any number of social issues.

But he strongly believes that his priorities lie elsewhere. What kind of Republican is he? I'm not qualified to answer that question, but I'm quite sure he's the kind of person that will put the welfare of the citizenry first. He's the kind of guy you'd trust with your kids. He's the kind of guy you'd want watching your back when your back needed watching.

He's the kind of person that will staff an administration with the people he feels are most qualified, regardless of party affiliation. And I have some concerns in that coming back to bite him a couple of different ways.

But he's a Marine. I'm sure he can handle it.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

HHOORRAAHHHHHHH

What more need be said?

He is my kind of guy...

Semper

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

HHOORRAAHHHHHHH

What more need be said?

He is my kind of guy...

Semper

how about, "what's his platform?"

honestly, what the hell does a marine have that a lawyer, professor, street sweeper, doctor, garbage man, or any random guy off the street doesn't?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
how about, "what's his platform?"

I kind of addressed that above. Without going into a level of detail that would be completely irrelevant to the vast majority, his platform was for prioritizing fiscal responsibility and public safety. And coupled with fiscal responsibility was for more transparency in budgeting - something that has been sorely lacking in the current administration.

honestly, what the hell does a marine have that a lawyer, professor, street sweeper, doctor, garbage man, or any random guy off the street doesn't?

Fair question, and semperfortis is certainly more qualified to answer it than I am. But I'll reply based upon my own vicarious knowledge and personal observations.

First of all, I've been privileged to know Marines, along with members of other branches, my entire life. My father in law was a Recon Marine and Korean War vet. His brother was a Marine who fought in the bloodiest WWII battles of the South Pacific - Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan,...

He was wounded and left for dead, but survived to come home and raise a family despite never regaining the use of his right arm.

Now maybe that's too much information. But I share it only for perspective in that it repersents some of the experience I've had with Marines. And to a man, they're all friendly, generous, open, honest. loyal, hard-working guys with PERSPECTIVE.

Marines are unique in that they're the only branch that recruits specifically to fight. Every cook, clerk, typist, and driver is first and foremost a rifleman. A combat soldier.

Col. Ballard spent 23 years in uniform in service to his country. I think that speaks volumes about his commitment to service.

Since his retirement, he's been an educator, author, consultant, and enterpreneur.

Now I'm not saying a Marine is a better person than any "lawyer, professor, street sweeper, doctor, garbage man, or any random guy off the street", but a Marine is going to have some experience dealing with things that the aforementioned do not. In an atmosphere where failure is not an option.

Here's another little tidbit about Col. Ballard. I think he's got the stuff to do the job.

Anyway, just thought I'd offer my .02 about why his service background was a differentiatior.
[Edit for typo]

[edit on 11/12/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

oh, i know you addressed it, i was just pointing out the ignorant position of "all i need to know is that he's a marine"

Now I'm not saying a Marine is a better person than any "lawyer, professor, street sweeper, doctor, garbage man, or any random guy off the street", but a Marine is going to have some experience dealing with things that the aforementioned do not. In an atmosphere where failure is not an option.

but a mayor doesn't have to deal with those things and dealing with those things in no way makes you better suited to run a city...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

but a mayor doesn't have to deal with those things and dealing with those things in no way makes you better suited to run a city...

No, what is an advantage is that as a retired Marine Colonel, you will have had organizational and command experience in life-or-death situations that make the pressures of running a city less dire.

I'm confident he won't cave under pressure, and I don't believe he will be intimidated by the job responsibility or the myriad of "power brokers" with whom he's going to have to contend.

If I'm hiring for an open position and have two equally qualified candidates, one is a military veteran and one isn't, I'm probably going to hire the vet. And if one's a Marine and the other isn't, I'll likely give the nod to the Marine.

You can call it personal prejudice, but I prefer to think of it as personal experience. You either understand and appreciate the value of their training and experience, or you don't.

I don't think semper's position is "ignorant". I think you misunderstood his desire to give a little shout-out to a brother in arms.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

...no, it's just an ignorant position. the same way frat boys relating to each other in that manner is just stupid.

and, honestly, the marine thing isn't necessarily a plus. most marines have (as the man's book has shown us) small scale management skills. they know how to coordinate a small group efficiently unless they're a higher-up officer...
that would help... but i just don't see any particular advantage to military experience.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Character counts, MIMS. Life experience counts. And if the combined traits of your life experiences has led to a sterling character then you are more than qualified to run for office. Personally, I would rather have someone in office who knows the value of life, has the discipline to not overreact, who has had the experience of lacking creature comforts while still making correct decisions, who is selfless in the face of opposition, courageous in emergencies/disasters. HORAH, indeed!
A lawyer who has never faced personal discomfort or danger, who has only had to concern him/herself with personal ambition does not have the same perspective or goals as the soldier. A lawyer may know how to worm their way out of scandalous situations but I hardly think that qualifies as "leader" material. A street sweeper may have some good ideas for how to run a city but lack the experience in working as a team to accomplish anything. A professor may have many desirable qualities for leadership but given a choice between a veteran marine and a tenured professor, I'd choose the one who has PROVEN their character and their experience over one that looks better in a tweed jacket.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Very well put. In this situation, we have a guy who against overwhelming odds and bucking the prevailing "wisdom", took up the banner and captured the most unlikely of victories. Maybe it took a Marine to even make the attempt and have the stamina, work ethic, and perseverance to succeed in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. Maybe not, but I sure don't think it hurt.

The point I was originally trying to make is that a sufficiently determined and competent individual can run for office and without party support or big money backing, win an election as high profile as mayor of a major (if I may call my city that) city.

His service background is peripheral to the story, but I think it's significant. And it may be because of where we are. There's another thread somewhere about veterans being disrespected in public and on that thread I commented you wouldn't see that here. At least not without repercussions from almost any random bystander. I'm proud to be in a city that strongly values and overwhelmingly appreciates the sacrifices made by veterans.

Will he be a good mayor? We'll just have to see. If integrity, ethics, hard work, and competence can overcome political infighting and petty turf wars, I think he's got a good shot.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Gives me hope for the coming presidential elections. We need a hero and they're just not usually found in the ranks of the generic career groups. (generally speaking)
I hope this guy shows what can be done with perseverance, determination and the rudder of a clear conscience. I hope he gets the chance. Being mayor doesn't mean a worry-free course but it does help remove a lot of the more petty obstacles.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Character counts, MIMS. Life experience counts. And if the combined traits of your life experiences has led to a sterling character then you are more than qualified to run for office. Personally, I would rather have someone in office who knows the value of life, has the discipline to not overreact, who has had the experience of lacking creature comforts while still making correct decisions, who is selfless in the face of opposition, courageous in emergencies/disasters. HORAH, indeed!

...ok, you don't need to be a marine for that. the peace corps and a plethora of charitable organizations give people a value of life
discipline comes from many places.

A lawyer who has never faced personal discomfort or danger, who has only had to concern him/herself with personal ambition does not have the same perspective or goals as the soldier. A lawyer may know how to worm their way out of scandalous situations but I hardly think that qualifies as "leader" material. A street sweeper may have some good ideas for how to run a city but lack the experience in working as a team to accomplish anything. A professor may have many desirable qualities for leadership but given a choice between a veteran marine and a tenured professor, I'd choose the one who has PROVEN their character and their experience over one that looks better in a tweed jacket.

ah, but you're stereotyping here.
a marine hasn't proven their character. a marine has proven their value on the battlefield. a marine can still be a rapist, a thief, a murderer.

and i guesss you'll take macho over brains with the professor thing...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Reply to post by madnessinmysoul-

Do you miss the point frequently? Or am I just that inept at making one?

No one, least of all me, ever suggested that Marines have a monopoly on anything. Of course discipline comes from many places.

Yes there can be bad apples in any field. What we're referencing here is someone who has proven their character and commitment to service and in this case has done it via the Marine Corps.

No one is suggesting valuing macho over brains, and in fact if anything, you may be guilty of stereotyping by suggesting all professors are automatically more intelligent than anyone who's ever been a Marine.

Maybe after you've had a bit more real life experience you'll look back and realize the absurdity of that assumption.

[Edit for misidentifying addressee]

[edit on 11/14/2007 by yeahright]

top topics

join