It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans Living Normal Lives With No Physical Brain - Is This Proof Of A Human Soul???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A few years back, my aunt was attending medical school and she told me the most fantastic story. In one of the previous years at her school, a student volunteered to have a brain scan for instructive purposes. The instructors were shocked to discover that the student had a brain stem but almost no brain cortex - the majority of his brain simply wasn't there. They were cautious of this discovery and they decided to not tell the student but the remarkable story was told later to future classes.

Upon remembering this story, I decided to google to see if it was in fact true or if there were other known cases. I found this case of a mathematics student Is Your Brain Really Necessary?

And this article from July of this year Man With Almost No Brain Has Led A Normal Life

Unless you had a brain scan you would never know if you actually had a brain or not. There could be thousands or millions of seemingly normal people with little or no brain at all and we would never know.

This ultimately leads me to the question - Could this be good evidence towards this existence of a Soul or Spirit - that operates independently of a physical brain???

[edit on 10-11-2007 by CyberTruth]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I might just be that a little brain goes a long way. One of the people you cited *did* have a cerebral cortex, it was just mashed up against the lining of his skull leaving a hollow center. Granted, this is very little brain at all but numerous studies have demonstrated that the brain has a remarkable ability to reallocate functions in absence of having all your grey matter.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I guess that explains Bush

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well, I personally don't need any proof...

However, I will say that a lot of it is dependent on how much brain matter they mean by "little to none." I mean, if they say "none" and mean that there is actually no brain whatsoever, then certainly. It pretty much turns the whole science of nuerology on its head...

[edit on 10-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Perhaps the 2nd article I linked is not the best example but according to the 1st article I linked(and I suggest everyone reading this thread reads that article in its entirety) - the student who went on to get a scholarship in mathematics had:

Instead of two hemispheres filling the cranial cavity, some 4.5 centimetres deep, the student had less than 1 millimetre of cerebral tissue covering the top of his spinal column.

Less than one millimeter of cerebral tissue is practically negligible in my opinion.

And yes I agree there is a lot we do not know about human physiology and neurology - perhaps - because we need to to stop approaching it as a purely "physical" and mechanical machine.

I am surprised that there is not more information or studies about these cases - especially if they do suggest and perhaps prove that we may indeed be operating from the seat of a soul or energy force instead of a just a physical brain and body.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If this is the case....

Why do so many people die of head injuries.

If you need so little brain matter wouldn't you think that when a head trauma occurs that the remaining undamaged brain would just take over mind function?

Something is fishy about that report!

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I thought about this as well and my only conclusion is that these functioning people with no or little cerebral cortex were all most probably born that way.

Someone who experiences head trauma is experiencing more than just the simple absence of brain tissue. They experience incredible pain, bleeding, pressure, trauma and cell damage. As mentalempire implied, People who experience brain damage do eventually relearn by supposedly reallocating functions to other parts of the brain.

Maybe it's the damaged cell tissue in the brain that causes the confusion in persons with head injury - This may sound crazy but maybe they would be better off if all of the damaged brain cells could be harmlessly removed all together!?

It's a good question and one for speculation.....

An even better question might be - "How can these people with no brain be able to function as normally as someone with a healthy brain?"

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dznetworks

Ahh, yes. But the facinating thing with him is that he has no soul either...

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I appreciate the George Bush jokes, but i was really hoping someone would respond to the original question of what this means and the possibility that it suggests the existence of a soul!

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If this is the case....

If you need so little brain matter wouldn't you think that when a head trauma occurs that the remaining undamaged brain would just take over mind function?

A full size brain when suffering a trauma usually swells up a lot which causes blood to clot and block unless they are seen and operated on quickly. I guess a small brain would be good for head trauma ?

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Slickinfinity

That's one possible advantage to this condition I didn't even consider - an invincible skull -

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
While I don't know if it's "proof" of a soul, it is something VERY interesting that I'm surprised isn't a major issue in the scientific world(probably because, if no scientific answer is found, it could potentially destroy their view of reality).

What I find wild, is that one of the people with almost no "brain" at all is a college math student, and wouldn't have ever noticed the lack of a brain were it not for the scan. I mean, the human brain/body DOES have an amazing capacity to adapt, but it seems as though such a huge lack of brain tissue would inevitably cause issues indicative of a problem. It's one thing to recover from the loss of half your brain as a child, another completely function completely normally with little more than a stump as a brain.

It's a VERY interesting subject, though; and it definitely gives me added confidence to my own personal belief that there is a soul(though I will say I wouldn't be surprised if a medical/scientific explanation is found, as I feel that the brain is basically the conduit for the soul; the "puppet" of the soul, if you will).

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Dont know about proof...I have heard a similar story as a kid. Perhaps they are tall tales, or maybe a little brain goes a long ways. Interesting none the less, thanks for sharing.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If this is the case....

I have heard many times, and tend to believe that the human soul exists, and decides what physical body it will inhabit before the being is born. The body acts merely as a box and receiving antenna for the eternal signals which are a natural part of the universe.

These signals become structured and patterned over time, gaining consciousness and wisdom, and move from body to body as it grows.

If the form of that body changes significantly, and rapidly, the symphony of vibrational energy has a difficult time being "funneled" into the physical form, because it is no longer recognized by the energy source as belonging to it.

And once the physical tool of experience is destroyed, the energy is released back into the universe, boundary-free. This is "death", but the soul continues.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dznetworks

Might explain 95% of the entire populace.

Anways. I don't believe the story. If it where true I could have a lobotomy and be just fine.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The frontal lobotomy operation was a cruel and barbaric procedure used in an attempt to remedy certain forms of mental illness - however -
There were people who did recover from the procedure and went on to live relatively normal lives.

Here is a compelling story of a lobotomy survivor and brief history of the infamous operation 'My Lobotomy': Howard Dully's Journey

[edit on 11-11-2007 by CyberTruth]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Very interesting post. It’s difficult to have a debate about something like whether a soul exists, though I have no doubt from my personal experiences that it does. One things for sure; There is more in heaven and earth…….

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Thank you for that very interesting read, I had never known anyone had lived a "normal" life after a lobotomy.

One thing I noticed, several times in the article he was very concerned with his soul..

At the end he says hes at peace, and that Freeman's ice picks did not touch his soul, after visiting another patient of Freeman's who apparently did loose "who they where" I.E. Their soul.

So in a way you could say the brain intact stores the soul?

Who knows.

Interesting read though. Do you have any scans of people with "missing" brains?

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I always had suspicions about the usefulness of the brain versus abstract thought... we had to learn all the parts of the brain and what they are responsible for in Psychology but if you ask me it is thought processes, concepts of self, abstract reasoning, that has a far greater effect on behavior than simple signals in the brain... I am an opponent of that biological approach and more a Cognitive approach I would guess...

I would say this is less proof of a soul and more proof of a consciousness, proof that something beyond the biological forms and can form without 100% brain tissue present...

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CyberTruth

It would seem to dovetail rather nicely with the holograph theory of the universe (and thereby of humans as a "microcosm" each, naturally).
As, I am sure, you well know, each particle of a holograph contains all of the information of the whole.

(Just don't ask me any specifics about the working, "the nuts and bolts", in such a case, please - it's really beyond my current scope of knowledge.
)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join