It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS won't air MoveOn.org's ad!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
whats so wrong with military recruitment ads?

Didn't say there's anything wrong with them...but they are kind of the opposite end of the spectrum, and in a free press you should air all opinions.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

the average age of the CBS viewer is 54. doesit matter of the air it or not?

Yes it does. They wanted to air it during the SuperBowl. It's on CBS this year.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
i wouldnt mind if they had a conservative one but you cant just air one side. if your going to do it do both sides

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
its a sporting event, wrong time to air such an ad. they purposely did this just so they could say "CBS wont air our ad boohoo!"

second CBS can air or not air any ad from anyone they want. period, full stop, end of discussion. whether you like it or not is irrelevent, they do not owe it to them to air it if they do not want to. we have the right to free speech, not to make CBS air what you want them to air. yes you can cry whine gripe piss moan groan and it wont change anything, they have the right to refuse anyone for any or no reason at all. they are not a public place to air your greivances and in light of moveon.org's antics prior to this i cant say i blame them for refusing. the last thing any broadcasting company wants to do is put an ad on the air that probably shows bush morphing into hitler or worse. so while you get angry at them for refusing to air it, they'd be facing a backlash, damned if they do, damned if they dont and they chose to err on the side of caution and not air it.

we all have a right to an opinion but nowhere in the constitution does it say we have the right to have it aired on TV.

you can stay mad but eventually you'll get over it. as soon as you realize how true this is, you'll instantly try to fight it. go ahead, it'll amuse me, it'll be more fun than even the superbowl itself.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek

whats so wrong with military recruitment ads?

Didn't say there's anything wrong with them...but they are kind of the opposite end of the spectrum, and in a free press you should air all opinions.

The Superbowl isn't press.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The problem that I have found in all of this is that they are running a White House ad or two in it...But also, CBS is not showing any ads from advocacy groups. They have turned down PETA.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Anytime there are advertisements you are exposed to persuasive opinions trying to make you purchase something or think some other way. CBS doesn't HAVE to show any ad if they don't want to, but since they claim that they are fair and whatnot, they should at least let all sides speak their mind.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
The problem that I have found in all of this is that they are running a White House ad or two in it...But also, CBS is not showing any ads from advocacy groups. They have turned down PETA.

That's because PETA is stupid. We can't eat animals for food, but they can kill animals in harvesting crops because "it's necessary."

Actors love PETA. And as we all know, actors are idiots.

I'm still waiting for all those actors who said they were moving to canada if we invaded Iraq to get out and stop using up all of our oxygen.

Whoo, rant over

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek

Anytime there are advertisements you are exposed to persuasive opinions trying to make you purchase something or think some other way. CBS doesn't HAVE to show any ad if they don't want to, but since they claim that they are fair and whatnot, they should at least let all sides speak their mind.

I view the press as news. A company telling me that drinking their cola will make girls want to # me isn't exactly press.

If I werre in their position, I would air the ads that make me the most money without losing appreciable amounts of viewers. And I would not air ads that would be a detriment to my ability to make profits.

You can't blame CBS for wanting to be successful.

CBS says it's fair. Let me let you in on a little secret- businesses lie. They lie just enough to not lose money. That's what they're in it for.

Here's another secret- Nobody is fair and unbiased. Fox isn't, CNN isn't, MoveOn.org isn't, the indymedia sure as hell isn't unbiased. You need to get used to it, and learn to pull the nuggets of truth from the media.

[Edited on 31-1-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong, I hate PETA just as much as the next guy, but I was just saying that CBS is not airing any advocacy groups during the Super Bowl.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
Don't get me wrong, I hate PETA just as much as the next guy, but I was just saying that CBS is not airing any advocacy groups during the Super Bowl.

I hate to say it, but when I'm watching New England kick the Panther's asses, I don't want to be interrupted by hippies telling me that pizza I'm eating is murder. I want one night where I'm not bombarded with political Bull#. I'm got 364 days of the for that.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I agree, they should play the ad. Those right wing freaks are always taking away our freedoms.
We should be able to put a commertial on expressing our political views.
The right wing doesn't think it is legitamite so they down play us, say our opinions are bogus or inflamitory, and don't want us to use our rights to free speach.

On the other hand, I have read that the KKK wants to put a commertial on.

Boy, I hope they don't let THOSE bastards have a spot, they are idiots, and would detract from the event.

Cut them off. They have nothing good to say, so they shouldn't get a spot.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I view the press as news. A company telling me that drinking their cola will make girls want to # me isn't exactly press.

If I werre in their position, I would air the ads that make me the most money without losing appreciable amounts of viewers. And I would not air ads that would be a detriment to my ability to make profits.

You can't blame CBS for wanting to be successful.

CBS says it's fair. Let me let you in on a little secret- businesses lie. They lie just enough to not lose money. That's what they're in it for.

Here's another secret- Nobody is fair and unbiased. Fox isn't, CNN isn't, MoveOn.org isn't, the indymedia sure as hell isn't unbiased. You need to get used to it, and learn to pull the nuggets of truth from the media.

[Edited on 31-1-2004 by Esoterica]

Of course everyone is only in it to make money!

I don't even watch news on TV anyway as most of it is crap. I have seen the ad though, and I really don't think that CBS would lose any viewers or money from airing it. It IS the superbowl, and usually there are many controversial ads during the superbowl but thats just the way it is and usually superbowl ads havent reflected back on the network. I really don't care what CBS does as they are in charge of their own business, but it would be nice if the superbowl audience watched this ad, as it provides a different perspective of things we usually see.

Ra

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Bushes medicare/campaign propaganda add yet they still refuse to do what the FCC states in the licensing agreements that all TV networks get the broadcast rights for nearly nothing as long as they take opposing views in commercial add time.

They are breaking the FCC's rules and apparently are changing their own so called "50 year old rule" about so called "controversial adds", basically saying we'll kiss the presidents arse but opposing views will not be heard in the CBS rightwing weenie network.

All you have to do is look at the coronary they had over a little tittie shot, yet thier nightly TV regurgitations include 20 to 35 beatings, shootings and stabbing that no one seems to care about "poisoning they're childrens little minds"!! Europeans must be laughing thier arses off at our puritanical tyranny & hypocracy.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Ra]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
CBS was gonna air a Medicare ad from the Bush admin. but, they got a lot of flack for it and it got pulled.

CBS Pulls Advertisement on Medicare Prepared by Administration
By ROBERT PEAR

Published: February 14, 2004

ASHINGTON, Feb. 13 � CBS said on Friday that it had stopped running a television advertisement for the new Medicare prescription drug law while Congress investigates its accuracy.

The 30-second advertisement, prepared by the Bush administration, assures Medicare beneficiaries that the program is not changing in any way except to provide "more benefits." Democratic members of Congress and some liberal advocacy groups say the advertisement amounts to a taxpayer-subsidized political commercial for the administration.

Dana McClintock, a spokesman for CBS in New York, said: "The ad has been pulled. It violated our longstanding policy on advocacy advertising. We pulled it as soon as we became aware of the investigation."

Full article: www.nytimes.com...
You might have to register to get to the article.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well anyway, what a game, eh? Go Patriots! ;>)

john

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting. Even the all-liberal CBS isn't willing to cosign with the "Bush=Hitler" theory of the moveon.org crowd.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
[quote="Sinchron"]America Wake up!!!

All that is happening now already happen in the past ... Soviet Union(does it ring the bell) and Eastern Europe.

Most people didn't recognize it until it was too late and it took 40 or more years to change the course.

First you have consorship in the media until they comply and then state is going to take over. You see only what you are suppose to see.
Banned books and you read only what are you suppose to read...
Condition your mind and beware. Sooner or later you are going to get punished for having not approved thoughts in your head.

All of it was done in the name of better future for all of us. Right?

State police(or any other "Agency") will get a firm grip on everyone and everything around you.

Try to read "1984" by George Orwell and maybe u will understand what I'm talking about. Keep in mind that the book was published in 1949 and it still applies to today's politics.

People are not going to recognize the danger until it is too late AGAIN.

Good luck in the next 50 years....

CBS is a privately-owned business corporation. They are in no way obligated to air any commerical, of any kind, if they do not want to.

Calling this "censorship" and then putting on patriotic airs is hypocrisy of the foulest sort... it goes against the spirit and nature of Capitalism. Imagine a world in which political propaganda dominated the airwaves, one in which no person or organization reserves the right to decline to air any ad a propogator of such material sent to them.

Now, go back and read 1984. The whole thing, not just the back of your paperback edition.

Tell me... what is a telescreen? And what does it do?

<< 1   >>

join