It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Religion, or lack there of, do you beleive in and why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I am a Christian plan and simple. I have read the doctrines of most all other religions and I have come to the conclusion that the world could not have just happened by accident. Everything around us could not have just happened. A creator had to be involved.

After studying many religions it seemed to me that the bible was as close to the truth as you could get hence the reason I am christian.

But, What if I've got it all wrong? What if I am horribly deluded and deceived, and in fact, Christianity has as much chance of leading to God as crawling over broken glass for 70 years? What if Christianity is just plain wrong? It's certainly worth thinking about...

Is it Feasible that Christianity Could be Wrong?

Definitely! Christians have the same evidence in the world around them as do other people. They see the same sun rise and set; they see the same common human traits - good and bad. And they have access to the same human mind to think and reason. The difference is in how Christians interpret the evidence around them. In other words, there is no 100% "scientific" guaranteed method of "proving" that Christianity is right. It all comes down to trust in the bible or the word of God.

Christians trust that God has revealed truth in the Bible, and we trust that he has given us enough information to take him at his word. We trust him, when he promises things like "If you really search for me, you will find me". But the bottom line is that it's still trust. Christians don't have some secret piece of evidence that conclusively "proves" that Christianity is right.

So, if Christianity was in fact wrong, how would that affect the lives of people right now? From the perspective of Christians themselves, it would mean that their attempts to live a life of trust in God would be utterly pointless. After all, if there was no God, trusting in this non-existent god would be useless and silly. Yet, this would be a fairly harmless delusion. For the most part, we would attempt to live morally upright lives, and to contribute positively to society and culture. In reality, we would be kidding ourselves, since there would be no reason to do this, but it wouldn't really hurt anyone else.

From the perspective of those who were not Christians, it might be a welcome relief. Sure, Christians would still keep talking about weighty matters, like heaven and hell, sin and judgment, life and death; but these would be delusional beliefs. Those who followed the spiritual path of atheism might well view Christians as a nuisance; or as an annoying but harmless itch. (No doubt, this is how many people do view Christians!) Ultimately, they could rest secure in the knowledge that these beliefs were indeed mistaken beliefs, and had no bearing on anything whatsoever.

But what about when we die? What difference would it make if Christianity was wrong? Well, largely, the joke would be on Christians. Instead of finding the heaven we had believed in, we would find...nothing. We would die, and that would be the end. We would simply cease to exist, just like everyone else. No God, no afterlife, no heaven - nothing. Those who were not Christians would be in exactly the same position.

However, it's equally worth considering what it would mean if Christianity was right. If the things spoken of in the Bible, and by Christians, were in fact completely true, where would this leave those who were not Christians?

In terms of life after death, it would leave them separated from God forever. Rather than simply ceasing to exist, they would continue to exist, but would know fully that there were no more opportunities to find God. Theirs would be an eternity filled with regret and remorse. Furthermore, anything done during their lives would be completely pointless. No matter how great the achievement, it would be meaningless in a neverending existence separated from God and all that is good. This seperation from God is what "hell" really is.

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I believe in no religion because, it's the one with the most evidence for it's case.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Maybe, they stem from one source. We know that Christianity stemmed from from Judaism, but I mean the other religions. Isn't it interesting that Christmas, Hannukah, Ramadan, Kwanza (although I'm not sure what it is) all happen at roughly the same time?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I believe in not allowing outside forces to have control over me. That is not to say that I do not believe in a 'god/void/power type thing', but instead that I will not subject myself to slavery when I am conscious of it's existence.

But hay! To each his own.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
For the most part, we would attempt to live morally upright lives, and to contribute positively to society and culture. In reality, we would be kidding ourselves, since there would be no reason to do this, but it wouldn't really hurt anyone else. quote from blackjackal

You wouldn't hurt someone, but someone would and has, as with many other religions.

However, it's equally worth considering what it would mean if Christianity was right. If the things spoken of in the Bible, and by Christians, were in fact completely true, where would this leave those who were not Christians? quote from blackjackal

That is in your mind, not mine. No religion is right, no religion is wrong. It's equally worth considering 'what happened' to persons ages ago, when basically, Christainity did not exist.

I personally, cannot tell which religion relates to more 'truth' as I have none here with me as to compare.

I am not religious in this sense. I am devoted to other things in my life, in another sense.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
All religion is valid to some degree and not to annother. Thus, no one religion is the truth I believe.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think that was Blackjackals point. He said that he looked into many religions and found Christianity to be for him. Just curious Jackel, did you mean religions other than Christianity or facets of it? There are many, Cath., Prot., Morman, J.W., Fundament., etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Heaven and hell are things of one's own creation. Religion boils down to one thing: free will. Doesn't matter if you're an athiest, christian, jew or muslim. Are you free? Are you trapped in a great newtonian clockwork? Or are you as horribly free as satre claimed?

I am what could be called an 'existentialist fatalist'. To me, life is like a Greek tradgedy. We live, and there is nothing beyond that. The ends, no matter our means, is determined- we are born, we live, we die. Our choices rarely matter in the times in between the craddle and the grave.

Do I believe in God? Perhaps, once. Now, he is but another piece of rotting godflesh to me.

Do i believe in heaven and hell? They are what you create for yourself in life before you meet utter oblivion.

You only live once, and it's a hard, dirty, nasty game. Make the best of it.

DE

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I am a non practicing Hindu.
I mean I was born as a Hindu and I will die as one.
I believe in the power of OM, which I have tattooed on my body.
I give alot of credence to the ancient Hindu texts but not to the ritualistic practices of the religion developed by men.

If I am wrong, then so be it...I will accept whatever consequences lie ahead.

I recently promised myself not to impart my opinions of God onto anyone else so I won't comment on the rest.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there is a actual word for my belief system, mainly because I kind of blend different things. Originally I was studying Wicca, but never finished my customary year and a day of study. Later I picked up a book on Shamanism, read it cover to cover twice. I tend to add a little of both to my mind set, I believe in their being powers higher than myself, but not quite a defined god/goddess. More often than not I simply use the term Creator, or Supreme Creator, or just The Spirits. I try to live in balance and harmony with nature, and generally not make too many ripples in the pond so to speak. I consider humans to be on the same levels as animals, and that all life is sacred. Some find it odd that with that belief I hunt, but the way I see it, I may take a deer now to feed myself and family, but in the end my body goes back to the earth, and the cycle starts over again.

For a while I actually sampled other religions, attended a few churches of friends to get a feel for the various versions of christiany, but in the end, following a path of native american spirituality seemed to have a particular resonance within myself, and its always felt right to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I believe in catholicism christianity, but it wasnt a matter of (desicision) for me, I converted after Jesus showing me miracles through my sufferings, true miracles that i cant deny even
if i got selfesh. How hes led me into a church i have never heard of before in my life in a matter of 10 months is the most amazing thing in the world to me, and i cant deny what i believe. not a desicision but he revealed himself to me, i can
either accept or reject it.

peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Wow alot of people seem to think religion is built for slavery. I dont know how thats possible
when noone put a gun to my head to convert.

" are you free "

are you? why does my religion not make me free? sincere question.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm Wiccan.

It's gentler (incorporates teachings about respecting Earth), kinder (everyone goes to an afterlife and there is no eternal punishment) and more ethical (harming NONE by word, thought, or deed encompasses the Christain teachings and goes into things that Christianity doesn't... like respect for others' beliefs.)

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I, like many people, have a type of buffet belief system. Bits and pieces of different Philosophies that I find acceptable and can relate to. Basicly mine consist of some Taoism, mixed with some Krishnamurti, and sprinkle with some Satanism(some idea's in the philosophy with same name, not devil worship).

While I don't completely agree with everything about each, take the things I accept about each, combine them and I think that best describes what I believe. The more I read, though, I'm sure this list will grow.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Im not exactly sure what you'd call me. I don't practise a religion and im very open-minded meaning i'll listen to everyone's opinions and comments and then I usually make an educated hypothesis. I do read Budda scriptures but simply because its not a relegion its just a path to enlightenment. I am not free from sin at all but I try to create an equal scale by doing lots of good things as well. Im not sure exactly what you'd call me if there is a technical word i'd be glad to hear

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'll just say that I'm an ex-christian and I think that Byrd and Diabolus posts were excellent, and that I can rely a lot to them.

What I mean is that I, like Diabolus, have read a lot about a lots of different religions, and that I like and dislike a lots of different ideas, in different religions, so I can't really choose only one and identify my-self with it, but I'm more inclined to take what I like and leave the rest. I'm could say I have a buffet beliefs system too.

I pointed out Byrd's post too, because having read a lot of Wiccan stuff, I must say it's probably one of the religion for wich I have the highest esteem, I think it's one of the most sensed, correct and respectable one.

Edit:

thedarkprojekt

You could probably be called an agnostic, but I'm not here to label anyone. Read up on the word and see if it's fit.

[Edited on 31-1-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth

Wow alot of people seem to think religion is built for slavery. I dont know how thats possible
when noone put a gun to my head to convert.

" are you free "

are you? why does my religion not make me free? sincere question.

Peace.

The fact that you found your faith/religion on your own makes you free. Its when people get pressured by others to pick a religion that they cease to be free. Finding ones way to a relgion through themselves or a dialog with a higher power is always better than allowing the wishes of others to influence you.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I am agnostic. I have no religious beliefs as the course of my life have led me to this opinion. I do not see or feel any presence of any spirituality either. If at some point in the future we find out more about life and there actually being a factually existing diety or afterlife scenario, then I will change my beliefs.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Im an agnostic, but I believe that in the human Consciousness lays the answer to "God".

Deep

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Guess I would call myself a Christian, allthough I don't exactly live according to the Law and the Teaching. But a devout researcher in the ancient mysteries, the spirit of prophecy and the brilliance of the Word of God.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

top topics

<<   2 >>

join