It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Today I responded to a VERY strange complaint. The more I think about it, the more I have no idea what it is.

I am relating the incident here and looking for any theories or speculations..

Here goes.

I was investigating a series of theft and burglary complaints when I received a call of a hunter reporting a shallow grave. This is not too common, but not extremely out of the ordinary either. I responded and contacted the hunter at the edge of a wildlife management area.

We hopped in his 4X4 and drove about a mile into the woods, then we walked about 3 or 4 hundred yards and this is what he found.

Just to answer some anticipated questions.

1. No one (Of us) disturbed it, the leaves were NOT removed. This is how it was found.

2. The dirt was loose as if it had just been dumped there.

3. It is completely inaccessible by any vehicle due to the surrounding trees. Except maybe a "Four Wheeler", but there were NO tracks at all.

4. The closest we could get in a MAJOR four wheel drive was 3 or 4 hundred yards. Good long walk.

We dug into the mound down to about 4 feet, well below the level of disturbed dirt and below ground level, then sifted the dirt without finding anything. NOTHING

The way the dirt was found, it is apparent that it was dumped there. There are no "holes" anywhere around that the dirt could have come from. The exposed dirt is fresh, and not exposed to rain yet. That makes the mound less than a week old. 'Hypothetically now" as I have no idea what this is.

After I first saw it, I fully expected to find a body there due to the shape, freshness and my experience. Yet Nothing....

So,

Any ideas???

I will admit it is a complete mystery to me..

Semper

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Semper,

Are their gopher tortoises in the area?

It looks a lot like their 'kick off' mounds.

The entrance could have possible been covered in by another animal or by someone wandering through the woods that thought it would be funny to "trap" the tortoise in there.

I use to have several identical mounds in my old back yard and they pop up overnight.

There were some mean ass kids in the neighborhood who tried to trap the tortoises by caving in their entrance (though after some harsh threats from me, the stopped) and all you would be left with was the mound.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
No such animal that I am aware of....I googled it and they are not listed as in this area, although very close...

Does the Gopher Tortoise make that big a mound?

Trust me, having shoveled most of the dirt, there was a LOT of dirt there...

Semper

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Yea, especially the larger ones.

I have had mounds pop up in my backyard overnight that were easily 3 to 4 feet high and 5 to 6 feet in diameter.

After it sits a few days, it also packs down pretty well making it solid.

Jasn

EDIT TO ADD: Off topic, but Gophers are AMAZING animals. You should look into them, just for the educational purposes.

They also dig mazes of tunnels underground than sometimes span MILES (rarely, usually 30 to 100 feet per tunnel).

[edit on 10-11-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Hi Semper...

We haven't commo'd in a while. I don't know where you are located, but it kind of looks like a washed down old fire ant colony that you might find in the area and hills around San Antonio. Although, if that were the case, there would probably be multiple versions and no questions.

Good luck with it. And if this thread should totally disappear, or whatever, keep me apprised by u2u if you would be so kind.

Thanks,

Dan

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I was going to suggest the same thing as sig. Could it be an ant hill or other insect dwelling?

What kind of burrowing animals are located where your at semp? Did you notice any animal tracks or footprints at all?

And there wasn't any animal bones or eggs in the dirt, maybe not a borrow.

Interesting. Keep us up to date on any findings mate.

[edit on 10-11-2007 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Try emailing a photo to your Local University. Either the geology or Biology dept. Your tax dollars paid for their knowledge and they are more than willing to help.

I used our State univ. to investigate an Archeology issue and they were very accommodating.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
There was no indication of any animal burrows, nests or other life in the entire mound...

We dug down to approximately 3.5 feet below level ground and sifted all the dirt looking for evidence..

I would imagine if it was a burrow or nest, I would have found some indication, don't you think? Dead animals, tunnels, something...

Now, I am open minded, so maybe it was an animal thing, but in my years here, I've not seen anything even remotely similar...

I tell ya, it's driving me batty.. LOL

Of course I am extremely happy it apparently was not! a grave.. WHEW

Semper

top topics

join