It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Diwali (Festival of Lights)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Today is the Hindu holiday of Diwali (Deepvali). It is also known as the festival of lights. Hindus celebrate Diwali for a few reasons, one being the return of Lord Ram from exile, it is also a harvest festival and is associate with the Goddess Lakshmi (goddess of prosperity).

Indians all around the world celebrate today by fasting, cooking vegetarian meals and traditional sweets and then lighting little diyas (ghee in small clay vessels) around their homes. It is said that Diwali lights helps to dispell darkness, evil and ignorance from the world. So I will light a special diya today in honor of ATS.

You can learn more about Diwali HERE

[edit on 11-9-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hey Happy Diwali to you, worldwatcher! The kids around the neighbourhood were playing firecrackers earlier (if you can call 1 am early) today until the rain poured down. It literally 'rained on their parade' heheh... in the evening there were a number of open houses (FOOD!!) so it was all festive.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Happy Diwali!

Any holiday that hopes to dispell darkness, evil and ignorance from the world sounds very noble in my book.

Quite a contrast to the American Thanksgivinq where everyone eats bird flesh to excess, drinks alcohol and watches football on TV.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
happy Diwali to you, too!

I should run the kids up to Berkeley this weekend and see what's going on. Last year we all got new clothes at one of the sari shops and the store manager gave me a little Ganesh bell for my door as a gift.

I get these holidays confused, though -- which is the one where everyone throws colored water on each other?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Thank you all

Major that's Holi or Phagwah, the spring festival, with all the colors.

I broke my fast today at 6:02pm

didn't have to do any cooking either, my mom is in town and she and two of my aunts cooked up a feast. It's "open house" over there and the relatives have been in and out all day long.

Living in Florida where the Indians are spread out, you don't get the full experience of seeing everyone's house all lit up. Neighbors sharing food and trading dishes.. Very lively and festive and everyone seems to be in a good mood, I miss it, but we do our best to recreate a little of that atmosphere among our family.

[edit on 11-9-2007 by worldwatcher]

top topics

join