It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Battle of Beijing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The Battle of Beijing

www.foreignpolicy.com

You can always count on the Olympic Games to provide drama. Next year’s games in Beijing will be no different; they too will produce powerful stories and riveting television. But this time the images will not just be athletes overcoming the odds or breaking records. They will also focus on the clashes between the Chinese police and the activists who will arrive from all around the world. The causes that motivate their activism range from human rights to global warming, from Darfur to Tibet, from
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sounds like the China government is reallly worried about protesters being able to get their messages out thru all the media that is going to be covering the Olympics.

China has been collecting information and making lists of foreign organizations and individuals that it feels may try to protest during the Olympics. It has been said that it is one of the “broadest intelligence-collection drives Beijing has taken against foreign activist groups.”

I hope all goes smoothly at the Olympics, but I have a feeling that it may get a little ugly. I can't see the activists letting a global media event like this happen without them trying to get their messages out, and I can't see the China government letting this happen.

I'm sure there is going to be "clashes" between the activists and the government forces, it's just a matter of if it gets covered by the media.

www.foreignpolicy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I was thinking the other day about this. I can't see China just letting the protest's happen. It isn't there nature. On the other hand, the world WILL be watching. The Summer Olympics is one of the most watched events that occurs. They won't be able to just start bashing skulls and imprisoning actvists/protesters from other countries.

Will they just deny them visas? Or let the protests occur in "protest zones"?

I was also thinking that the Olympics could be used in a false flag operation by any number of countries wanting to discredit or even bring down China and remove them from the world stage for a time.

Will any countries boycott these Olympics like in Moscow and LA?

Good article mate. Too bad it won't get much attention.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don't think anyone will boycot these games, the past has proven that it dosen't really achieve anything except to piss off some athletes and all their supporters that have worked hard and planned for 4 years. IMO.

There is no way that China can stop all of the activists/protesters etc etc, getting in to the country! They've let me in enough times!!

False Flag. Bad idea, really bad idea. Do you not watch 24!! The Chinese know what's going on out there. Their not as dumb as you look!!

The activists will get in and they will start doing their thing! They will be moved to an out of the way location and the press will be reminded that insighting public disorder is frowned upon. i.e. filming this will create panic and will make people upset. I think the press will cover the issues discreatly and give the protesters a wide berth and will concentrate on the sporting action, the world unity and togetherness aspects of the event.

that said it wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese have teams of coppers, that follow the more vocal and agrivating activists back to their hotels and quietly remove them from their country, which is their rite as it is thier country and therefore their laws.

When in Rome and all that.

There will be plenty of action on you tube and such sites, but by and large I don't expect there to be too much hassle. I don't see plod wading in a beating a bunch of activists. I think they will be allowed to protest in controlled areas.

I really hope it dosen't spoil the Olympics, dispite the bad history China has in the human rights and treatment department. I do believe they are making great strides to improve the standard of living for everyperson living there. Yes they have a long way to go. Mostly in the rural areas, but they are getting there.

I think what worries people around the world more is that soon China will be a true world power and might start using flexing it's considerable muscle.

MonKey

new topics

top topics

join