It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law Could Make Gay Jokes Illegal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   

New Law Could Make Gay Jokes Illegal

www.telegraph.co.uk

"Witness the fact that the Government has invited two additional groups - the disabled and transsexuals - to 'make the case' for the proposed legislation to be extended to them.

"I am sure that they could make a very good case, as indeed could all those who can claim that they cannot help being the way they are. Men, for example, or women. Or people with big ears."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What implications do laws like these have for Europe and, indeed, the world?

Since the U.K. seems to be leading the way when it comes to idiotic laws; Can it really be very long before these laws make it to Australia and the United States as well?

With all the things going on in the world that actually MATTER, you would think that these lawmakers could find something better to do with their day than criminalizing words.

The ONLY real logic I can find behind these moronic laws is if these laws will be used at a future date as reasons for rounding up the population.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is gay.

political correctness gone wrong...

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Has political correctness ever gone right?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
So does this mean our basic right of freedom of speech is null and void? I laugh at this. What is the government going to do stand by with anti-foul language police now? Things these days seem to be getting more ad more pathetic by the minute.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The proposed legislation makes illegal the use of threatening words & behaviour against gays.

How would you feel if your workmates called you a faggot every day of the week ? And when you went to your boss to complain he didn't act in any way ?

It's not political correctness. It's dragging some of the neanderthals into the 21st Century. Good. Long overdue.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Okay, while I see your point about being called a faggot daily, that is STILL not reason for it to be ILLEGAL.

If they pass this law through, what comes next?

Shouldn't freedom of speech encompass ALL speech? If not, it's not really freedom of speech is it?

Most gay guys and girls that I know are pretty good about throwing better cracks back at the prick that "slandered" them.

I'm all for being POLITE, but no way in hell should it be made LAW.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
What is the government going to do stand by with anti-foul language police now?

Why not? ATS has them.

ba da da.....

Thank you, I'll be here all week!

Jasn

j/k mods

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197
How would you feel if your workmates called you a faggot every day of the week ? And when you went to your boss to complain he didn't act in any way ?

How about gay pride? Ever heard about such concept? Or does it only apply to parades and obnoxious mode of dress in clubs?

It's not political correctness. It's dragging some of the neanderthals into the 21st Century. Good. Long overdue.

Right. It's wasting our legislators time which should be used on things more important for the society.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I'm not sure how it is in Scotland, but, here in the states, if someone calls you a faggot at work (or any other slur with the exception of "white" slurs) it's immediate grounds for termination. A business, if they catch you, will let your ass go in a second to avoid the discrimination suit.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
All depends on how well you know your workmates, and whether they are indeed friends.

I can call some people at work almost any derogatory name you can think of, because I know them, they know me and they know it is said in jest. They also know that they can do the same to me, and they often do.

But I also know that some people would find it offensive so I do not act the same way with them.

At the end of the day, a joke is always at the expense of someone.

edit: missed a leter

[edit on 9/11/2007 by Irma]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

By your logic I can walk up to the nearest black man and call him a n****r. And do that every day of the week too. Encourage my friends to do that too. Same with every other minority group. Or I could just wander the streets and use the worst profanities against every passer by. Freedom of speech, n'all ?

Freedom of speech has its limits. Even on ATS. Check the T&C's. Call it censorship or whatever you like. But in a civilised society you just can't open your mouth and let the bile flow. Not in public anyway.

I'm glad your "gay friends" can stand up for themselves. In the right company, of course. It's a bit different though when you're confronted by half a dozen guys as you're walking down the street and you get called a faggot. Your witty responses tend to dry up as you try to make your escape.

This proposed law is bringing protection to people. It should be welcomed by all. Although no doubt the knuckle draggers won't appreciate being finally held to account for the abuse they mete out. Tough.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irma

edit: missed a leter

[edit on 9/11/2007 by Irma]

The definition of "irony".

Jasn

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Actually, yes you can walk up to any black person you choose and call him or her a ni**er (silly censors). However, when you do that, be prepared to face the consequences.

You would probably be better off in jail.

The point you are missing is, if they can take away THAT particular aspect of freedom of speech then they can take any others they choose.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

being called a faggot daily

This action, especially in a work environment is already by law considered verbal assault, and mental and emotional abuse, which causes emotional and mental harm. It is in no way a joke, or a laughing matter.

The same applies to all the other violent obscene remarks to every other variety of cultures and ideologies.

Explain to me now, how a new law will not affect innocent people joking amongst themselves in private clubs or residences who are just passing time in jest, in whatever distasteful manner, because they are doing so amongst themselves away from anyone who would be subject to the topic of discussion?

No doubt the British government is only attempting to shape their society into even bigger snitches than they already are. I am sure there will be no shortage of neighbors turning in neighbors after a long lifetime of friendship only out of pure fear or motivated purely by greed for a lowly pittance from their feared masters?

I bet some of you would love nothing more than that! Only problem is they will only hurt themselves in the end, because after they have extinguished their enemies to preserve their system, they will "amend" their laws and go after whoever is left! This is called the self-destruction of a civilization! Eventually the overlords will no longer have any serfs left and they will simply move to the lands of their allies, having been overrun by the free people at the loss of their loyal, self-incriminating snitching slaves.

Good luck Britain, your own policies has already sealed the fate of your culture on your home island; let’s hope you have something that is worth preserving to the world, for at least the culture will survive in other places of the world. It is no mystery why British culture has begun showing up in larger concentration across American media and cultural representations over the years. You’re losing your homeland. Even draconian laws which have been portrayed in last ditch terror efforts like V for Vendetta (movie) will no longer be able to preserve your place at home unless you change your policies. All the injustices upon the cultures of the world of centuries passed are beginning to wreak their vengeance upon your homeland, and in decades, or perhaps another century, English culture will lose its Hegemony over the Island of Great Britain, as well as losing their iron-fisted rule over Ireland. Even the Falklands will fall to the impending birth of the South American Alliance!

Your only hope is here in America, where your ancestors helped get it started right, but the cultures of the world have and will shape to perfection in the coming decades. Change your policies now if you believe you still can, otherwise as an individual, simply assimilate yourself into the global culture and just watch history unfold.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
A gay, a democrat and a republican walk into a bar........

Sorry, had to do it.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by traderonwallst]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I attended a funeral a couple of months ago for a coworker that killed himself. He had been the recipiant of slurs by a vocal few. Why? He was gay. He was also a great guy. Damn shame some can't see why this is being implimented.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
another new law for the mentally disabled(homo's)--Fear of being called a BAD WORD is childish. If you cannot deal with being the butt of a few jokes then stay in the closet.

If this becomes a law then there will be a new law to prevent the gay's from calling the straight people names ---soon it will be a very quiet society...

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Does this mean that if I go to a comedy club it is my civil duty to call the pollice everytime there is a gay joke told?

What if the comedian is gay? Is this OK? Or is there a double standard here, just like in every other aspect of political correctness?

This new law is the real joke!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Being a republican, and backer of big business, I get a ton of abuse here on the ATS boards. Not always directly, as the mods would probably lay a smack down on the culprit, but in plenty of inuendos.

I don't complain, I don't scream, I don't demand equal rights.

Its all in fun, part of the banter that I enjoy here at ATS.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join