It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U. S. DOD Satellites Detected Explosion of Siberian Bolide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2002 @ 09:36 AM
link   
"U.S. satellites detected the impact of a bolide near Bodiabo (Bodajbo) in Siberia at 16:48:56 UTC (12:48:56 EDT) on 24 September 2002. The object was simultaneously detected by both visible wavelength and IR (infrared) sensors. The object was first detected at 57.91 North Latitude, 112.90 East Longitude at an altitude of approximately 62 kilometers (38.5 miles). It was tracked to 58.21 N, 113.46 E at an altitude of approximately 30 kilometers (18.6 miles). The observed visible wavelength peak intensity was 2.4 x 10^11 Watts/ster. The total radiated energy was 8.6 x 10^11 Joules (6000K black body)."

The explosion was equivalent to 100,000 tons of TNT, or a meteorite about three meters in diameter burning up in the earth's atmosphere.

posted on Dec, 8 2002 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Nuclear testing. What country does that site belong to or what is it near.

posted on Dec, 10 2002 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't know.

AF1

posted on Dec, 10 2002 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe Siberia is in Russia, but I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 10 2002 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Siberia's in Russia, guys.

About 2 weeks ago, UP posted a link about civilians on the ground reporting the bolide. It's not nuclear. It's an asteroid.

And I need new glasses. I read that as "Siberian Blonde Explodes."

posted on Dec, 11 2002 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This is a small taste of the threat of asteroids to our civilization. We have to do more than just break it up, for the same reasons that a 3meter diameter meteorite has the explosive power of 100,000 tons of TNT. A 6 mile wide asteroid, whether it hits the atmosphere in many peices, or all at once, will vaporize a hemisphere.

It's happend before, it'll happen again (OOOGAHH BOOGA BOOGAH!)

But seriously, Siberia has no luck, they had that one explosion that flattened all the trees, they are certain that was a meteorite of about a meter or so big exploding in the atmosphere.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 11 2002 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

1) Siberia's in Russia, guys.

2) And I need new glasses. I read that as "Siberian Blonde Explodes."

Yes , I know that Siberia is in Russia. When I wrote " I don't know ", I wrote it for the last part of his question.

2) Well Byrd, Santa Claus did a topic for us.May be you can ask him new glasses.

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Bodajbo is SW of Yakutsk ( several hundred km's ) following the Lena River.

As far as being near any nuclear testing sites. The closest sites were Semipalatinsk in Kazakhstan and Novaya Zemllya off NE Russia ( where they conduct sub-critical testing ).

[Edited on 12-12-2002 by mad scientist]

top topics

join