It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Person I've Ever Known

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
OK, So I'm sittin' here doin' some thinkin'... So I says to myself, Self? Who is the greatest man ever?

Clark Kent? Nah.... he hid behind those silly glasses that tricked everyone and stuff.

TThe president of the mightiest nation ever? G W Bush..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - Oops, sorry...

Hmmmmm... The greatest person, the greatest person..

C'mon Brain - do your thing.........

A simple man named Joe. A man who always did the right thing. As I was growing up I spent ALOT of time with him. He would tell me stories for hours on end. We would spend an hour having an adventure opening up a walnut. Sounds silly, but he made it an adventure.
We would spend an afternoon making common items make noises. He could make just about anything make a musical noise. A piece of paper, a leaf suddenly became whistles. A rubber band became a guitar. A milk carton became a drum. A piece of wax paper along with a comb became a harmonica.

His clothes were always clean. His shoes were always shined. I can't remember seeing him without his crooked smile. I say crooked as the left side of his face was paralized due to sunstroke he suffered as a young man.

He would rake up leaves for hours so I could jump in them. Then he would rake them again.. It wasn't until I was older that I realized the agony he was in when he would hold his back, and take a half minute to stand upright. But he never complained about it, and would rake until I had enough.

He knew what it was to be hungry. He knew what it was to be scared and alone. He made sure that I never did.
My version of being hungry is - 'Damn! Is it lunchtime yet?'
My version of being alone is - 'Where the heck are my wife and son, they've been gone for an hour. Where's my cell phone?"

Coming from nothing, he made himself a success. He would come home from work after a 15 hour day, and throw me around and wrestle until I was tuckered out.

At the time of my youth, there was no cable TV. We had approx 4 stations on regular TV, and another 3 or 4 on UHF. It didn't matter what I wanted to watch, he would act like it was his favorite show while we sat together.

He taught me what it is to be a gentlman. Always open a door for a lady. Look into a persons eyes when you speak. Call a lady Miss until she asks you to address her in another manner. Never wear a hat indoors.

He also taught me to stand my ground for what I believed in. He showed me that helping and protecting those who need the help is just the right thing to do.

When I was in the hospital., he was the FIRST one to be there, and the LAST one to leave.

When I was unsure of what was happening with my adolescent genitalia, he was the one who made it make sense. Well as much sense as it can make. I still don't really understand the judgements, and thinkin' when 'down there' is involved.

He literally made me a fishing pole from a bamboo pole and a piece of string. I don't think we ever caught 1 fish, but sitting with him and talking was priceless. He would always wear a hat, unless he was indoors of course. When we were fishing, he would wear a straw hat. I had a matching one.

He took great pride in being an American. He was a long standing member of CD. He voted. He flew his flag proudly, and would never let her fly in inclimate weather or after sundown. He stood with hand on heart for the Star Spangled Banner.

I saw him get a little teary eyed when I watched Old Yeller with him.

Yep. No Doubt. The Greatest man I've ever known.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
That's it I'm not reading another lombozo thread while I'm at work. I've just had to tell everyone I have some random perfume allergy and I think someone must have set it off!

Beautiful words.

MonKey

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Lombozo, my dear friend, Pop pop helped to make you the man you are today, and I know many of us agree that he did a damn fine job.You are aces as a friend, a father, and one of greatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.Honey you touch us all, with your stories whether happy or sad.We are all family here to comfort each other.The loss you are feeling becomes ours as well, and we all share in your sadness.
I know he would be so proud of you, and the way you are with your son.You are bringing him up with the same love and attention that was shown to you.He will be a great man, just like his daddy.

In celebration of a great man, Joe.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Monkey. Be careful of that perfume allergy. I've been suffering from the same thing this week.

AD - you know how I feel about you, and I thank you for the kind words.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It takes a special man to raise another special man.

Joe did a great job with you, and it shows in every post you make about your own son.

If only there were more like him, perhaps the world wouldn't be the sorry pit it is today.

*hugs*

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
That's it I'm not reading another lombozo thread while I'm at work. I've just had to tell everyone I have some random perfume allergy and I think someone must have set it off!

Yep. I'm sitting here telling the cat I'm allergic to something. He's giving me this *look.*

What a wonderful tribute to your Pop Pop.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I wish I had know him Lombo...

I really do..

Sitting here I can see the two of you, fishing with your bamboo pole and talking in hushed tones so as not to scare the fish you never caught anyway..

I just wish I could have known him. Perhaps I shall as you continue to tell us all about him..

Thank you Lombozo, thank you very much...

Semper

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What a moving tribute. I've got to stop reading your threads before negotiation discussions. I'm smiling and crying at the same time. I can just imagine the two of you together. Wow.

You are definatly one in a million and you are raising your son to be the same. I wish I had met Joe he seems as though he'd be like my Grandpa who was best described as an old time cowboy in the best sense.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Byrd - Those damn allergies...... That cat is still thinkin' though.

Semp. What can I say. Friends are hard to find.
Found ya brother.
Never, not for 1 second doubt that I would be there for you if/when you need me.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Gallopinghordes
I had to respond to you.
You have always been kind to me, and you absolutely have my friendship, and my respect.
Thank you.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Lombo, I'm relatively new to BTS, but I've read several of your threads now and I've grown to respect you. I'm sure that you are the answer given by several people when asked, who's the greatest person they've ever known. That's no small thing bro.

join