It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XBOX Crashed... Again!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
AGH! The woes that are my XBOX.

Less than a year ago, my system had crashed and I had to send it in. Took almost three months to get it back. Over the past day or two, I've noticed that my system was freezing and shutting down. Today it flat out crashed and has been rendered useless. I've contacted technical support and am receiving a new one, but it will take up to five weeks.

Brutal timing considering I've just picked up Halo 3, Guitar Hero 3, new Live subscription, and have been patiently waiting for the upcoming release of Rock Band.

I wonder if I can contact them and have my Live subscription placed on hold? Anyone know?

I am satisfied with their customer support this time. Last time they were very ineffective and patronizing. Not that any customer support isn't patronizing, but at least this time I felt I was actually getting some help. Deadlines have been set, and I hope that they are capable of meeting them this time.

If I have it back by Christmas I'll be satisfied. That's almost eight weeks, and I've been told a maximum of five.

Time will tell.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Aw, that sucks big time. But at least they're sending you a new one. Hopefully it won't give you a hard time for a while.

And anyway, you'll have more time to attend to your mod duties here while you're game-less.

(please, don't ban me)

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Ever the optimist. I like that.

My system was out of warranty, so I waited until I had the three flashing red lights to call it in. There is an extended warranty on systems that have that problem, so I just patiently waited for it to happen again.

Otherwise they would of billed me.

Thanks, but no thanks.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I dont know for sure, but any type of subscription service (games or otherwise) can usually be put on hold. Or at the very least, seeing as this sounds like a manufactures defect, you cant creditted for the lost time. My suggestion (if you havent done so yet) just contact customer support for your subscription service, im sure they will take care of it.

Good luck, it always sucks when that type of thing happens.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I guess X-box really has some issues. I just mailed in my kids' xbox on Saturday, due to a "blue screen"????? They've already started to annoy me with "is it here yet"? I told them it will take a while, I had no idea it could take as long as 3 months!!!! (I won't tell them that).

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
For the sake of your sanity, I truly hope it doesn't take that long. The deadline they've set for me is 3-5 business days until I receive the box to ship it to them, and then another 3-4 weeks until I get it back. Last time I had to send it in, it was sitting on a shelf collecting dust, in some warehouse for a month or two. Only due to my persistence did they finally figure out where it was, and within the week I had it back.

Their customer service has improved I feel. They are sending out a box for me to send it in, and apparently all of the postage is prepaid. I'll wait to see that before I believe it.. but that is the expectation that has been set. Which is entirely different from less than a year ago.

Their handle times are short, so the wait to get through should always be rather small. So I'd call once every nine to ten days and ask to be updated on the status of your account. Might not make a difference, but had I of not called.. I don't think I ever would of got mine back.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If only you had bought a PS3...

My friend owns an Xbox and the other day we were playing Halo 3 and it just shut off for no reason.

Seems this is a common problem with that system.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
No, what happens is that the system overheats very easily. Then you have people that like to shove it into an enclosed space or close to a wall. The system then sucks in all the hot air it just threw out heating it even more......
essentially killing the system.

[edit on 12/11/2007 by BrokenEmpires]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
That was probably the extent of the issue. Big ups to Microsoft on this one. In about eight business days, I had the system back and working in tip top shape.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Yes, everyone is having problems with them. Well, according to Microsoft themselves, 1 out of every 3(33%) are busted POS. That's right, 1 out of every 3 are broken, and MS admitted to this!

Wii's are at 11% while PS3 is at .01%.

So, 399 for a PS3, 250 2-3 times for a Wii, or 500 4-5 times for a 360. Which costs more again?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have had my 360 for nearly 6 months now, and have yet to have a problem.

It seems like everyone elses is crashing around me while mine just keeps on truckin!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HHH Is King
Yes, everyone is having problems with them. Well, according to Microsoft themselves, 1 out of every 3(33%) are busted POS. That's right, 1 out of every 3 are broken, and MS admitted to this!

Wii's are at 11% while PS3 is at .01%.

So, 399 for a PS3, 250 2-3 times for a Wii, or 500 4-5 times for a 360. Which costs more again?

I'm glad my 360 hasn't broken yet. The 360 is in the same spot right now the PS2 was in a few years ago. Remember how 90% of the first batch of PS2s used to give us Disc Read Errors all the time and would only play certain discs. Some of them also overheated and died just like the 360, but PS2 also had the best games just like the 360 right now. (2 PS2s died on me)

The PS3 is in the same spot the original Xbox was, it came out a year later and has less games than the rest of the consoles. The only difference is that back then the Xbox had good online multiplayer, something the PS3 still doesn't have.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You think a year between crashes is bad? After a year of owning my 360, I got the old Red Ring. I got it back on a Thursday, and by Tuesday, it ... Red-Rung again.

They sent me a free copy of Project Gotham 3 because it happened again, and every time you send it in, you get a month of Xbox Live. Considering it takes three weeks, thanks for the free week...

Now my system seems to be lost in the mail. The automated system knows nothing about my repair order anymore (it said it was shipped out a week ago). The UPS truck just sped by as I was typing, so I'm going to talk to a live person today.

Does anyone know what they do in terms of newer parts - as in, upgrades they have made to the 360 over the years - and repairs? I'm hoping they actually put something new in my system rather than "working" versions of the parts I already have (and broke).

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
As far as I know they pretty much just go, "Hmm, another one, well, hit it with a hammer and see if that makes it work. If it doesn't hit it with a bigger one." I don't mean literally hit it with a hammer of course I mean they do the same thing and when it doesn't fix it they do it again but on a bigger scale, still not fixing it.

Anyways, my original xbox works fine and that's all I need for Halo and Fable and DDR and others on here. Although that Mass Effect does look good...

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I've had my beloved xbox for over a year now. The worst I've had is it crashing and hopefully that's all that'll ever happen *touches wood*.

It's a real shame alot of xbox's are faulty, they really are a great piece of equipment.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valdimer
I have had my 360 for nearly 6 months now, and have yet to have a problem.

It seems like everyone elses is crashing around me while mine just keeps on truckin!

i had mine for a year and about 3 months later it died
MS did repair it
took 2 weeks and i got one month live free since i lost about a 3 weeks live from my 12 months.

so watch out it could still fail

also chissler add me on live if you have Halo 3, Gears of War
nametags below

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I remember PS2 use to have a problem of just crapping out. I was on my third PS2 when I realized that it was an easy solution to fix the problem. Pop it open, lube the CD tray track, and clean the laser eye, and good as new.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well I'm sitting here surfing around ATS and if I look to my right, there sits my Xbox 360 all warm and cuddly wrapped in a huge beach towel.

Why you ask. Because of the three red lights of doom I'm freaking trying to deal with!!!!

gizmodo.com...

I've tried this three times now with no luck. I think once I catch my apartment on fire due to the heat bulid up. I'll be able to cash in on the insurance amd buy a new one. This is a first generation Xbox 360 and has served me well for 2 1/2 years!

Becker

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

Can't you just send it in for repairs? Microsoft released a new 3 Year Warrantee on their xbox's.

The gizmondo explanation sucks, mate. 10 mins ain't enough. I found a good one on YouTube.

Good luck.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Bloody microsoft resorting to using cheap parts.
I recently sent mine off, and received a 'brand new console' back.
It has since then scratched up my discs, rendering 'skate.' useless.
Sometimes when I put my a disc in it even tells be to 'Please insert this disc into an xbox 360 console.'
My theory is that they've just sent me an original xbox with a xbox 360 exterior.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join