It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Major tidal surge" headed for UK East Coast

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Phew i'm in East Anglia but waay inland so we should be ok. I'll have to make sure to check the news in the morning!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The timing is REALLY lucky.
5 hours either way and there would have been problems.
As you see on the tide times,the difference in level is an average of 3.5 metres so it should be soaked up..

Now if they're wrong and it DOES hit at high tide them you could be looking at some serious flooding.
There are NO flood barriers along the North East coast and the houses along my local beach are barely above sea level.
Blyth power station is built right on the river mouth too.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Ah cool... cheers for link. So worst case is that the surge will hit the tide coming out. That would probably slow it down a bit regarding the south east?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They have evacuated oil platforms in the North Sea, so this might make the oilprice go up even more...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Didn’t some guy predict a superstorm in Europe this weekend with hurricane like conditions and a tidal surge? Let me look around but I am pretty sure there was a thread on this topic and the guy got jumped all over as being a fraud.

Good luck to all you folks over there, and stay safe.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I've found a link:

RigZone: Production Halted Temporarily Due to Gale

Oil and gas production from the Grane, Visund, Oseberg South and Heimdal fields will stop production during the severe weather which is forecast for the nights of November 8th and 9th.

[---]

The overall output from the fields to be temporarily closed amounts to roughly 320,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Here is the link to the guys prediction:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Watching BBC news 24 now (midnight) and they are showing the Theams barrier going up - they say London will be okay though as the surge will come at low water.

Up along the east coast is gonna be interesting. Great Yarmouth is supposed to be worst hit.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Wow, this just weakens my spirit to hear what you are facing. My prayers will be with you all. Be sure and be well supplied and prepared to be self sufficent for at least several days in the worst areas. Have all of your important documentation with you in case you have to leave suddenly or unexpectantly. Above all take no chances. We will be here for you.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
BBC News 24 reporting Police in Great Yarmouth now urging 2,500 households to immediately evacuate ... the tide there should be going out but hasn't, indicating that when the surge arrives it's going to seriously endanger the town.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Good luck to those in harms way. Sounds like if people listen there is no need of anyone being hurt. Stay safe inland.

Not to be odd but there should be some cool stuff on the shorelines afterwards. Break out the cameras. Maybe a new fish species or two on a beach?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Wow, sounds intense. At least the tides are on your side.

Hope everyone got the message to evacuate.

You are in my thoughts.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Good Luck All!!!

I haven't seen where anyone is sure what caused this.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
WW- they should be ok and no evacuation,
They will be having gusts of wind that are strong at the moment,

But should be safe

I'm 2 miles from Thetford, a little closer to the coast. No wind, no rain, in fact it's perfectly calm outside. Just called a friend in the town and she says it is absolutely crystal clear there, stars are as bright as ever.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It's Bill Gates, he's trying to stop everyone going out and buying an iphone!

Man this is looking nasty, Rotterdamm is on lockdown for the first time ever, those 360 meter gates are quite impressive though.

Best of luck to everyone on the east coast - stay safe!!

MonKey

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
With something like this to stem the tides, my earlier sentiment stands

The Oosterschelde storm surge barrier

The Dutch engineers are some of the finest in the world.

But still. Heed all warnings, and most importantly, help the elderly as they are the most reluctant to move.
Keep your powder dry!
Good luck my friends across the pond.
Keep us posted on how you fare.
We will be waiting to hear....

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I live in the north west, so i'm okay, but just wishing everybody to stay safe.

Read that thread about the super storm and now this...

worrying...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
They have evacuated oil platforms in the North Sea, so this might make the oilprice go up even more...

That's right, they've evacuated all of the norwegian platforms several days ago actually. Been all over the news around here.

I live on an island, the south west coast of Norway, and there has been a major storm all night! Couldn't sleep anymore, too much noise from the wind outside

I know they've closed almost every bridges here tonight! It's been many years since its been a storm like this

My local news sites are still down, so I haven't read any news on the damage during the night...

Hopefully the tidal surge won't come to the UK

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Bah! I've got a family member flying from Hungary through Germany tomorrow, they're getting pretty high winds there and the forecasts for his flight don't look too good either.

Probably going to get delayed a nice bunch.

Hope all is well for those that are in the red zones, shoot. I forgot how wonderfully, uh, exciting the weather is back home in Europe.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
No real problems here in the Netherlands

Everything's fine, just some minor stormdamage here and there.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join