It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Major tidal surge" headed for UK East Coast

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

COBRA

It stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Room A. It is an kind of planning organisation put together in times of national emergerncy's.

They are taking it very seriously and I don't think they are wanting to take any chances after the devastation of this years summer floods.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
from what is being described, it sounds like you guys are about to have a hurricane.. tidal surge, tornado threat, gale force winds... yep sounds like a hurricane to me.

Are my relatives in Thetford going to be okay? I tried calling an hour ago but only got to leave a message. They didn't have to evacuate there did they? btw I have no idea where Thetford is actually located, I know they live near a military base, but that's about it, so that could be anywhere in England.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
At the moment, the highest alert is not for UK, but for Holland.

Meteoalarm

Currently red alert in "Nederland Noord" and "Nederland Zuidwest" (translates to "north" and "southwest")

edit to add: This storm is named Andrea. In 1953 more than 1800 people died during a flood in Holland.

[edit on 2007/11/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I just came back from the beach.
Wild offshore winds flattening the sea.

It looks like the storm surge will hit at around 9am tommorow...

LOW tide...

So it should basically look like an normal high tide but at low tide timings.
By the time 'regular' high tide arrives,the surge should pass.

I,ll hang around with a cam during the day and photograph anything interesting though ..

Don't worry. I'll take my flotation suit too ... and some decent fishing gear...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Gonna sleep now, hope I don't see water when I look out of my windows tomorrow morning

[edit on 8-11-2007 by DutchFree]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test

The East Coast, (that's particularly Norfolk and Suffolk dgtempe
),are very low lying and just like the Netherlands much of this area was drained and reclaimed starting back in Roman times. The West Coast is generally much higher.

edit to add: Where are your people dgtempe?

Its confusing because we have Yarmouth where i live, and we have Suffolk and Norfolk counties!!!!! I'm in Cape Cod.

I have some friends in London right now.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

On barriers;

www.icivilengineer.com...

Click on Altavista collections for a great selection of barriers.

I grew up in NE Holland and I remember seeing the '53 flood when I was 6.

I wish safe outcome all affected as these dams and others are sorely tested tomorrow morning.

link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

But on the TV, the guy on the "scene" said that it would come along with a high tide.

...or maybe I caught him out of context.

link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thetford is a long way inland from the coast. Low lying land but well out of any storm surge effects should flooding happen.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

what kind of tidal surge are they expecting in Holland? Have there been evacuations and the same types of warnings there? Are they feeling the effects right now?

Thanks to Britguy
I'm relieved since my relatives are older folks

[edit on 11-8-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thetford should be fine, it's quite a long way from the coast and only has small rivers nearby. Nice little town, I worked there recently! We have a lot of extreme weather in the UK, it's just unpredictable unlike the US where you have hurricane seasons and specific times of the year when you have tornadoes, we just get it willy nilly

link   
Wow, this is actually for real, supposed to peak at 7:00 AM local time...
Our prayers are with you, thanks to ATS and the OP for putting the word out way over here
Take care!!

link   
WW- they should be ok and no evacuation,
They will be having gusts of wind that are strong at the moment,

But should be safe

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
Did this just come out of nowhere or have they been talking about it for a few days in those parts as a possibility? I've never heard of anything like this.

It was first mentioned by the BBC on Sunday and I myself flagged it up as a strong possibility on Monday morning

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DutchFree

Me too.. bedtime..I will be seriously worried if i see water when i wake up cos i live 80 miles inland on a hill

Good luck and good night

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

local tide time. North East UK

I hope this IS right or else I might take my armbands too.
This is the BBC so you never know.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'll be definitely keeping an eye on this, thanks for the answers you Brits, you're all too kind

I have to ask, what is the electrical power situation there? Do you guys get frequent power outages due to storms like we do here in Florida? We're pretty much guaranteed that cable and electricity will go out whenever we get hurricanes.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
My hometown in of Canvey Island in Essex was hit hard in the 1953 flood with 58 people dying. After that they built the sea wall so the family I have left down there should be just fine.

I hope something changes overnight and it ends up not being as bad as it looks right now. Hope everyone is safe and okay come tomorrow when it hits!

I will also be a bit worried if I see water in the morning as I'm on the north-west coast AND on a hill

[edit on 8/11/2007 by Muppetus Galacticus]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Jeez 'tempe I wish you guys would be more original with your place names, it gets damned confusing.

London should be OK - it was at some serious risk before the barrier was built in extreme conditions but we always got away with it.

For Worldwatcher, Thetford is in Norfolk and the big base there is RAF Lakenheath, but it's well inland despite being very low ground. I'm sure everyone out that way will sleep just fine tonight.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Power wise we tend to do ok, But they are saying that we may have some problems, But again I expect that to be more on the coast rather than inland, there pretty good normally if your not in the direct path,

[edit on 8-11-2007 by asala]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join