It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia drought- Why is this not a bigger deal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
So I am on CNN and MSNBC all the time... Any who, the drought in Georgia was a big deal but now since the CA fires it just went away. In fact nothing is on these 2 major news sources the today execpt one article about the governor "praying" for rain. PEOPLE THIS IS SERIOUS!!!! A large metropolis is about to run out of water, in a few months (possibly) and why are the people in our government not rushing to HELP??? There is mention about trying to stop the feds from letting out water from the main reservoir but isn't that just buying some time? I mean stopping the water loss by letting it out of the dam is not going to put water back in, just make it last a little longer, am I crazy here or what?

Noticed on a few other posts mention of socio-economic issues but really this will be a S-L-O-W train wreck! Which makes the lack of a government response even worse, well damn they can not say "we had no idea???" this time can they? How are people who make let’s say under 20K a year supposed to buy water if and when the price skyrockets? There was a piece on drought on "Megadisasters" on the history channel, guys there was very little fiction on this, as many of the events had or were currently occurring!

Does anyone know what the plan is if lets say the current predictions are accurate and this stretches into the summer of 2008, due to continued La Nina? Again this is the current best prediction, Atlanta does not have until the summer of 2008 even if we stop letting water flow down stream! They have to have a plan, RIGHT??? Come on there has to be something???

Confused!!!!
Dr. T

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hey don't worry im sure FEMA will know what to do!

I also find it very odd that there is not more coverage of this issue! I have family in Georgia and would also like to know what the possible options are. This could get really really bad!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I am at a loss too as to why this isn't a bigger deal in the media. Last week, several media outlets did make mention of the Georgia drought but it was dropped quickly even though there hasn't been any relief to the situation.. Perhaps they don't want people to start moving out of the area by confirming their fears? The only reason I can see why this is not being played up is "economic" reasons. Will CocaCola want to stay in Georgia as the state dries up?

here's a thread that might interest you btw...it contains links to other coverage of the drought in the southeast and elsewhere...
Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The reason that the Georgia drought is not 'bigger news' is that yes, the water is low, and yes it could happen, but so far, nothing has happened, including rain.

Truthfully, I beleive that this sort of "Water Shortage" happens fairly frequently out west, to the point where if a 'real' drought were to occur like the Dust Bowl days, All of Arizona/SoCal would be screwed. Too many people, not enough water.

So until it rains, (news) or they run out (news), then there is no new news....

Its not like the govt can make it rain or something...
DocMoreau

[spelling]

[edit on 8/11/2007 by DocMoreau]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Perhaps Coca Cola is the reason there is no water.

Coca - Cola Admits That Dasani is Nothing But Tap Water

Maybe its in Dasani bottles?

More alarming...
Coca-Cola's Grip on Water

DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Doc

Maybe Coca Cola should stop production of Dasani Water and let the citizens of Georgia have some tap water for free.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I live in the suburbs of Metro Atlanta and the drought was all we head about 3 weeks ago and now it is hardley mentioned and the local news is not as DIRE as it was by any means. Supposedly my county was going to be dried up by December 12th or something but we havent heard any new DIRE warnings or protocal. The county North of me and West of me have gone to MUCH MUCH HIGHER H20 Bills and a 750 gal. max anything over and your H20 could get cut off (dont ask me how the common citizen is supposed to accuratly measure the gallons).
I have been wondering why the blind eye as well and being a resident doesnt ease my concern. We have been stocking up on gallon H20 since July but it would not be enough by any means if there was a dry up.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
LOTS of coverage on ATS here:

Water Wars 2007 - A Man Made Disaster
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

There has been spotty coverage of the drought elsewhere, including the LameStreamMedia. The real question is: WHERE IS OUR 22 BILLION GALLONS OF WATER? We want it back!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well here in GA things are pretty bad, I have to water my seasonal flowering bushes at night so I do not get a fine.

Right now it was talks about limiting the water use for business like car washes and also sprinkle systems.

But it was a lot of opposition on that.

The last thing I heard was to pass some legislation to stop some type of species endangerment pact that GA and Florida have because our main water reservoir is drying fast due to the gallons of water allowed to run free to Florida to protect some fish that is in the endangerment list.

So we still have running water and can use water in the privacy of our homes but you will get fine if seen using water on your yard for any reason.

Is pretty dry around here this days.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

I have been thinking the exact same thing. It's not just the gov't that should be concerned about this. Why isn't the typical american citizen concerned? If this can happen in there then it can happen any where. Everyone is so selfish and so self consumed that they think... well, at least its not me.

I can't say that I have given it a second thought about what I can do to help. I am so sick of the U.S. I can't stand the way everyone runs to their job every morning and will do what ever it takes (including deny coruption) to keep their job. I want to do something to make a difference and change the way this country is but I just don't know what to do. I feel like I'm all alone in this because everyone (including my family) are in the rat race too.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

so you are in a drought and you are watering your pretty flowers? why would you do this? maybe yall don't need help. if all of the citizens of georgia water their pretty flowers at night and you run out of water then don't come to my door looking for water. i just can't believe this. surely you are joking.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I ran across this story....

Town has water just three hours a day

They have to truck water in since the mountain spring that provided them with water dried up!!

We're going to end up seeing third world conditions in these drought stricken area, with even more severe water rationing. Wake Up America!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten

so you are in a drought and you are watering your pretty flowers? why would you do this?

Well is only 5 small plants and I water them by hand, that is allow but is only between 10 PM to 10 AM, this was passed for people and businesses with sprinkle systems running at night.

So is not law been broken at this time.

Everything else in my yard is dried up it bothers me because all the money and time invested in my garden.

Our water comes from lake Lenier I believe that is the right name, that is the main reservoir for the south but also is feeding Florida and that is not because Florida depend on the water for survival but because some fish need it.

Funny but the argument is that human life comes before fish

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Marg. I hate to break it to you but...there is a TOTAL outdoor watering ban for north Georgia. So unless you live south of Macon or Columbus you should not be watering plants except if you are using water from a rain barrel or "gray" water collected from your showers.

Watering restrictions are a huge source of frustration for Georgia. In the Atlanta metropolitan area there is a total ban on outdoor watering, including new landscaping. Landscaping companies can only water for their clients three days a week. However, South Alabama and Florida have no water restrictions and they use OUR water. BS!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yes I am aware of all the watering restrictions I pay my water bill at their office.

Yes I already posted two times that I live in south GA meaning Albany/leesburg GA.

And yes even our wells are starting to dry out.
BTW for the first time in 40 years we have warnings of possible fires in the northern part of the state.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I believe there's a fine for counties using too much water.News article
Our water department just sent us out recommendations for curtailing water use.

I have a lot of respect for Governor Sonny Perdue. He seems very sincere and non-NWO!!!
Please pray for Georgia.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Feds say Georgia misrepresenting drought

Two federal agencies working on Georgia’s unprecedented drought let state officials know Thursday that they didn’t appreciate the way Georgia portrayed the regional water shortage as a fight between endangered mussels and the people of Atlanta.

There’s plenty of water for both man and mussel and Atlanta knows it, they said.

The first words out of the mouth of Earl Stockdale, the Army Corps of Engineers’ top lawyer, were blunt. Gov. Sonny Perdue’s public declaration that Atlanta had only 90 days of water left was just plain wrong, he said.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

So who is actually 'correct'?

I would think that the Armry Corps have to say that to prevent panic, if in fact the situation is as dire as some said before the California FIres.

DocMoreau

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I live in North Alabama, so I am seeing the drought as much as North Georgia. That's the bad news...

I don't use municipal water, so water restrictions do not apply to me or my personal well. That's the good news...

The drought is getting serious. Normally we have a very predictable seasonal rainfall pattern. Winters are fairly wet and some of that water actually supersaturates the soil as ice crystals. A soaking wet spring then adds to this and results in localized flooding. The road I live on has a wet-weather lake that completely submerges it during and after heavy rains. Then we normally have a dry, hot summer that dries everything up, fall is moderate on rainfall, and the winter begins the cycle all over again. This has happened every year I have been alive (and check my birthdate, that has been a few years).

This year, winter was pretty normal, but we had almost no rain during the spring. That broke the cycle and made the normally-dry summer much worse. Here, as is happening in Georgia, the shallower wells are beginning to falter. Our one advantage over Georgia is the Tennessee River, which allows some influx of water from as far north as extreme northern Tennessee, above Knoxville.

The thing I find strange is that grass and crops, while not producing as well as in rainy years, are not completely dried up. Things are still green and alive. Perhaps it is the fact that we do get a shower every month or so to keep the topsoil from completely drying up, but I still am amazed that such a small amount of water could mitigate a severe drought so much. Perhaps that is the reason the media seems unconcerned about the drought; a picture of a dry but green farm just doesn't scream disaster, I guess.

I drive through the Atlanta area a lot now, and I am noticing that the rivers and lakes are quite low. The lake between Georgia and South Caroline on I85 (forgive me for not recalling the name right off) appears to be about 10 feet or so below normal. This observation is not an exception; all the waters around North Georgia are far below their normal levels as well.

The point of this post, other than pointing out some of the above conditions, is that the controversy between Georgia, Alabama, and Florida is not even being accurately portrayed when the media does decide to mention it. The real problem with the waters being diverted to Florida is not just a species of mussel. There is not even any data on what the water level for them needs to be. None has ever been needed before since water flow has never been a problem before. The real problem, according to a close friend who lives in North Atlanta, is that this past spring, an error on the part of the Army Corps of Engineers caused millions of gallons to be inadvertantly released. North Atlanta has also been growing at an astonishing rate for several years. This growth has been so fast and furious that it has been difficult to keep up with the demands for new utilities to all the new communities and businesses. This growth has also been unchecked by local government, despite warnings from several different sources. So now the growth, combined with the mistake this past spring, has compounded the drought as far as North Atlanta is concerned.

The mussels need water too, of course, but the water that flows into Florida to protect the little critters also allows operation of several power plants along the way, one of which supplies much of the power to South Atlanta. Shut off the water to these, and you shut off the power to the areas they serve.

All in all, Atlanta itself is responsible for most of the present problems, based on shortsightedness combined with bad timing. This is not to say they don't need help; they absolutely do! But bear the previous facts in mind while you sit back and watch the 2007 water wars... as I will do while drinking a tall cold glass of water from my private well...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

There is much more comprehensive coverage in another thread, Water Wars 2007, but the up-shot is that both the Governor and the Corps are technically right. There was ninety days left of water to be pumped out by the standard method which requires less filtering and treatment. After the ninety day period the water will come more from the bottom of the lake and will not be as clean, thus requiring more filtration and chemicals. The less water to draw from, the more polluted it is as contaminants are more concentrated.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Seems India also has issues with water and soft drink companies. Perhaps those in Georgia can be inspired to fight Coca Cola and get them to stop selling their tap water.

Indian state to crack down on drinks firms

top topics

<<   2 >>

join